LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 1, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #2,971 of 5,225
No measurable difference so far - nothing audibly noticeable either.  Getting used to the sound definitely - but no physical changes.  Mind you didn't expect any.

And for those wondering - I measured them when I got them, and then again a week later.  No change in frequency response.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #2,972 of 5,225
Ok - filters.

Lets start with the disclaimers.  This is the measurements of this pair.  I make no assertions that this is how every pair will measure.  I will say though that both drivers match pretty closely and that the filters seem to be paired pretty well also.  This indicates to me that I have a pair which has no errors (if it did then its more likely that one channel or the other would be different).

The graphs below are generated using the Vibro Veritas coupler and ARTA software. Ken Ball (ALO/Campfire) graciously provided me with measurement data which I have used to recalibrate my Veritas so that it mimics an IEC 711 measurement standard (Ken uses two separate BK ear simulators, we measured the same set of IEMs, and I built my calibration curve from shared data). I do not claim that this data is 100% accurate, but it is very consistent, and is as close as I can get to the IEC 711 standard on my budget.

So first up - channel matching. To minimise possibility of having the filters influence the channels I removed the back filters altogether.  here's the left and right channels with grey front filter.

The channel matching is very good - well done LZ!

So lets address the back filters first.  Audibly I couldn't really notice a lot of difference between the black red and no filter - but the blue obviously had a lot of difference.  So lets see how they measure.

Yes - as suspected, red, black and no filter are practically identical.  Between red and black there is maybe 1-2 dB difference, but they are essentially the same. Good sub-bass, well extended.  The blue rear filter has early roll off and it is noticeably lighter in impact. But there is still some sub-bass there (just not much below 40 Hz).  But its a good filter for those looking for a less bass dominated signature.  The pity is that one of the others should have been something between the two (ie flatter, softer mid-bass hump, and a little more extension than the blue). Bit of an opportunity lost.

So lets look at the front filters - first with the black rear filter:

The frequency response pretty much corresponds to colour (with purple being black).  So basically what you see is the blue and green having big peaks (too much IMO) and black to pink being far more manageable.  For anyone wondering, my preference has changed slightly - I really liked black/grey (still do), but find back/red give just a little more lower treble emphasis which I find pretty good.

So what about with the blue rear filter?  lets take a look:

Similar results with blue and green front filters - just a little too coloured for my tastes.  But pair the blue with the pink filter, and you get a pretty balanced overall signature.  Might be a bit peaky for some - but I really like it for female vocals.

Anyway - hope this helps people to explore the filter options a little more.

Like I said - my picks would be black/red or blue/pink - depending on my mood at the time.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #2,973 of 5,225
Black pink is also pretty good - and might just be my new favourite over time 
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #2,976 of 5,225
As it seems from the FR - Graphs, the table from LZ with the given Frequency ranges are not really meaningful. As you can see in the FR - Graphs, the bass response always stays the same no matter which front filter. What the front filters actually do, as i see it on the FR - Graphs, is smooth out the frequency across beginning at around the lower mids and supposedly play with the soundstage. So to everyone who is still skeptical in trying the Grey and even the Pink filters, here is the proof that they can actually sound very decent. 
etysmile.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #2,977 of 5,225
Brooko
Did you try black/black combo? Black/blue and red/blue?

I understand the graphs show various peaks but to my ears I can notice a difference when swapping the red and black back filters when using same front filters such as black/blue/red.

If I might ask, if you keep the front filter the same and just swap black versus red back filter you don't notice much of a difference in the low-end quality. I get a sense and feeling that the red has a little more low end punch and prominence in the music. Again, this is when I'm keeping the front filter the same
Also to my ears the blue front filter while it opens things up seems to create some what of a hollow or unnatural sound to the treble in some songs esp with the black(a bit less with red back)

I'm only asking this, to get a better handle on how our preferences for sound differ. I know everybody has an individual taste.

I love your reviews because they're so analytical and precise while pointing out your personal preferences.
It really helps me appreciate the product you're reviewing and allows me to evaluate them to determine if it's something I might enjoy.
The line I'm always impressed with your detailed reviews and all the information you provide. Like everybody here we always appreciate all your hard work

thank you

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #2,978 of 5,225
Black pink is also pretty good - and might just be my new favourite over time :D

hilarious. I'll refer this as the Brooko combo. lmao...

now I'm gonna have to go play with some new combinations!

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #2,979 of 5,225
As it seems from the FR - Graphs, the table from LZ with the given Frequency ranges are not really meaningful. As you can see in the FR - Graphs, the bass response always stays the same no matter which front filter. What the front filters actually do, as i see it on the FR - Graphs, is smooth out the frequency across beginning at around the lower mids and supposedly play with the soundstage. So to everyone who is still skeptical in trying the Grey and even the Pink filters, here is the proof that they can actually sound very decent. :etysmile:

Dang, there you go bringing up another combo I have to try. To my ears black/gray just let me in the face a little too much with the mid range and bass.
So now I need to try black/pink to see what I get. Thank you(Brooko and Menuki) for making me excited about something else try

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #2,980 of 5,225
Brooko
Did you try black/black combo? Black/blue and red/blue?

I understand the graphs show various peaks but to my ears I can notice a difference when swapping the red and black back filters when using same front filters such as black/blue/red.

If I might ask, if you keep the front filter the same and just swap black versus red back filter you don't notice much of a difference in the low-end quality. I get a sense and feeling that the red has a little more low end punch and prominence in the music. Again, this is when I'm keeping the front filter the same
Also to my ears the blue front filter while it opens things up seems to create some what of a hollow or unnatural sound to the treble in some songs esp with the black(a bit less with red back)

I'm only asking this, to get a better handle on how our preferences for sound differ. I know everybody has an individual taste.

I love your reviews because they're so analytical and precise while pointing out your personal preferences.
It really helps me appreciate the product you're reviewing and allows me to evaluate them to determine if it's something I might enjoy.
The line I'm always impressed with your detailed reviews and all the information you provide. Like everybody here we always appreciate all your hard work

thank you

I tried and measured them all. There is essentially little to no change between red, black and no back filter. No back filter is almost exactly same as red, and both are less than 1dB louder in bass than black. If you're hearing an obvious change between the red, black and no back filter - then either there is a variation in filters (poor QC), you have way better hearing than most of the population, or you're succumbing to expectation bias :wink:

Blue rear filter is a massive difference though

When I get time I'll show you red/black vs black/black measurement graph. It's essentially same - just that tiny variaton in bass.

Oh and blue front filter is just too sharp for me.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #2,981 of 5,225
I tried and measured them all. There is essentially little to no change between red, black and no back filter. No back filter is almost exactly same as red, and both are less than 1dB louder in bass than black. If you're hearing an obvious change between the red, black and no back filter - then either there is a variation in filters (poor QC), you have way better hearing than most of the population, or you're succumbing to expectation bias :wink:

Blue rear filter is a massive difference though

When I get time I'll show you red/black vs black/black measurement graph. It's essentially same - just that tiny variaton in bass.

Oh and blue front filter is just too sharp for me.

Well clearly there could be a placebo effect or what you call an expectation bias. Funny, I really feel like I'm hearing something different between red/black and No back filter. Very interesting.
Something screwy with head.no doubt in that. Lol

Well, I'm going to have to change the red/black back filters for more comparison. I may have to walk away from listening to any music for a couple of days and let my head clear so they are sort of knew when I make comparisons

Blue front does out my treble sensitivity too

Thanks Brooko

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,982 of 5,225
I wanted to add that i definitely hear a difference in Red and Black back filters too. It was actually quiete a "shock" to read that these are supposed to have the same frequency response. Even No-Back and Red Back lets me hear a difference in bass all tough not as much as Red vs Black. This is quiet funky, given that they also have different dampening thickness... maybe, just maybe Brooko got identical Red and Black filters where only the color differs...?

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #2,983 of 5,225
Keep in mind that most microphones become unreliable below 100hz and basically unuseable for measurements below 40hz. But I agree that the back filters, except for the blue, dont make much of a difference. I couldn't hear a difference between no filter and red. Between red and black, I can hear a minor difference on some really bass-heavy tracks, mostly regarding decay and steepness of the subbass rolloff. Above the lower frequencies, measurements look good and interesting. Finally, someone proves my complain that the green nozzles make the A4 sound like a telephone :wink:. Maybe I should give the red nozzles a second chance. The grey and pink still sound very off to me, but my hearing still goes above 18khz, so maybe that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back