Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Feb 2, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #3,256 of 3,350
I really enjoy my Lyr 3 (with Audeze LCD-X) with Sylvania GTB chrome dome, a bit smoother, more natural (just a bit) than the JJ. The JJ is still very impressive, built like a tank and absolutely no microphonics, my Sylanvias (on my 2nd now) tend to get microphonic quicker, but love the sound, plus microphonics aren't critical with headphones, unless of course I end up tapping on the top of my Lyr. Note- the heat from my Lyr caused the Schiit logo on top to completely flake off. Been meaning to try a LISST ... reading comments above.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #3,257 of 3,350
I really enjoy my Lyr 3 (with Audeze LCD-X) with Sylvania GTB chrome dome, a bit smoother, more natural (just a bit) than the JJ. The JJ is still very impressive, built like a tank and absolutely no microphonics, my Sylanvias (on my 2nd now) tend to get microphonic quicker, but love the sound, plus microphonics aren't critical with headphones, unless of course I end up tapping on the top of my Lyr. Note- the heat from my Lyr caused the Schiit logo on top to completely flake off. Been meaning to try a LISST ... reading comments above.
Try the Psvanes (and Linlai) as well. But LISST are indeed very good in their own right. I’ve never heard of the logo flaking off due to heat though… Got a non-contact thermometer by chance? And are you using a socket saver? And Lyr3 just rocks planars, I agree.

Feb 4, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #3,258 of 3,350
Try the Psvanes (and Linlai) as well. But LISST are indeed very good in their own right. I’ve never heard of the logo flaking off due to heat though… Got a non-contact thermometer by chance? And are you using a socket saver? And Lyr3 just rocks planars, I agree.
Thanks for the response. Not using a socket saver. Not sure about the paint, maybe a bad silk screening lot? - it came off cleanly, so the top looks great, maybe hurt my on resale - laugh. Yes, I am still interested in trying a LISST in the Lyr 3, there are many comments out there, including from Jason, that the LISST works well in the Lyr 3. I also have an Asgard 3 - curious to compare that with LISST equipped Lyr 3 …

Feb 4, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #3,260 of 3,350
Thanks for the response. Not using a socket saver. Not sure about the paint, maybe a bad silk screening lot? - it came off cleanly, so the top looks great, maybe hurt my on resale - laugh. Yes, I am still interested in trying a LISST in the Lyr 3, there are many comments out there, including from Jason, that the LISST works well in the Lyr 3. I also have an Asgard 3 - curious to compare that with LISST equipped Lyr 3 …
Lyr’s still better than A3…

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #3,261 of 3,350

Of all my 6SN7s....I also find the Sylvania chrome dome (1950's) to be my favorite pairing with the Lyr 3 and Grado :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #3,262 of 3,350
Mine was the Ken-Rad VT-231 until the double Ken-Rad 6C5 on @Deyan - made adapter.

Feb 15, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #3,264 of 3,350
I have developed an issue with my lyr 3 multibit. anytime using exclusive mode or such i am getting errors now with anything over 24bit 48k I error out with amazon music exclusive mode now my Jriver can not play anyting over that using waspi without getting an error saying there is a problem. This started in oct or nov with amazon and just started recently with the other aps and programs. If I use windows to bypas exclusive mode it works fine, but that is downgrading all my music to one setting. I sent schiit a message today so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #3,265 of 3,350
I have developed an issue with my lyr 3 multibit. anytime using exclusive mode or such i am getting errors now with anything over 24bit 48k I error out with amazon music exclusive mode now my Jriver can not play anyting over that using waspi without getting an error saying there is a problem. This started in oct or nov with amazon and just started recently with the other aps and programs. If I use windows to bypas exclusive mode it works fine, but that is downgrading all my music to one setting. I sent schiit a message today so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Did you ever get this figured out? Inquiring minds want to know...

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #3,266 of 3,350
Mar 31, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #3,267 of 3,350
After many lost battles with the Lyr + I have now got the Lyr 3. I really like the toggle buttons on the Ltr 3 a lot more compared to the generic buttons on the Lyr +. Its also instant when switching gain modes on the Lyr 3 in comparison to waiting 5-6 seconds on the Lyr + so that experience is a lot better. I have dearly missed not being able to use my Sylvania VT231 Bad Boy tube with the 800S as I do not enjoy it nearly as much as the Cayin HA-3A. As soon as I listened I was transported to the astonishing level of soundstage, detail and bass this tube provides on the 800S with the Lyr. I really hope this amplifier doesn't fail on me and I will not even swap any tubes this time because I am scared to do so but to be honest its the perfect tube for the 800S so I don't need to anyhow.

Attachments

• 20230331_173508.jpg
    20230331_173508.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #3,268 of 3,350
After many lost battles with the Lyr + I have now got the Lyr 3. I really like the toggle buttons on the Ltr 3 a lot more compared to the generic buttons on the Lyr +. Its also instant when switching gain modes on the Lyr 3 in comparison to waiting 5-6 seconds on the Lyr + so that experience is a lot better. I have dearly missed not being able to use my Sylvania VT231 Bad Boy tube with the 800S as I do not enjoy it nearly as much as the Cayin HA-3A. As soon as I listened I was transported to the astonishing level of soundstage, detail and bass this tube provides on the 800S with the Lyr. I really hope this amplifier doesn't fail on me and I will not even swap any tubes this time because I am scared to do so but to be honest its the perfect tube for the 800S so I don't need to anyhow.
I don’t think you have to worry, they Lyr3 is a solid amp. I have two myself (one home and in office) that have been chugging along fine for years, including tube swaps - but I’ve found what I like so I don’t swap tubes often :)

Apr 4, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #3,269 of 3,350
I am with you on the Lyr+. I have wanted one for several months, BUT I can't commit to one due to the ongoing issues. So I am watching for a Lyr 3 in black (like yours) to purchase.

Jun 1, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #3,270 of 3,350
I am with you on the Lyr+. I have wanted one for several months, BUT I can't commit to one due to the ongoing issues. So I am watching for a Lyr 3 in black (like yours) to purchase.
Update - I have a black Lyr 3 now purchased from a fellow Head-Fier. Lovely and I am enjoying it immensely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back