Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
May 27, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,522 of 3,356
Interesting. I actually have two Lyr3:s, one for home and one for the office, but now I have both at home (as we work from home now).
The older one does not cut off at the about 3 seconds mark, but the newer one does. I get the cutoff if listening at 11 o'clock or higher.

This is how the waveform looks between about 2.5 seconds up to 4.5 seconds.
Depending on the volume setting it cuts of almost at once on hitting the first dip, later in the dip, or even at the second dip or not at all.

Note that the waveform stays below the zero-point where the Lyr3 cuts it out, and well below zero too.
It must trigger some kind of clipping or short-circuit protection, that also seems to be more sensitive in newer units.

1590523202817.png

Could someone at Schiit please chime in on this? @Jason Stoddard ?

QUESTION: Is this the ONLY song, sound, piece of music that seems to exhibit this phenomena??

May 27, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #2,524 of 3,356
QUESTION: Is this the ONLY song, sound, piece of music that seems to exhibit this phenomena??

The only one I know of, as described by @reddasher, it is a sound clip from the movie “Europa report”. However I would suspect that anything that is significantly over or under the zero crossing for long enough would trigger it, when the volume pot is set high enough.

If I would make a guess, I’d say it’s what a DC protection circuit would do. Cut the output for a length of time until the DC is gone to protect the amp and the headphones.

May 27, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #2,525 of 3,356
Listening with Bifrost 2 ---" Lyr 3 with a nice old RCA tube...The Guess Who's "Follow Your Daughter Home!!" ....with Focal Clears...

Result: 10 out of a 10.

Period. Over and Out!!
:>)

Alex

The Lyr3+Bifrost2 combo really is something isn’t it? :)

Thoroughly enjoying this album I found on Bandcamp yesterday, with the Lyr3 (w/Tung-Sol 6SN7 reissue tube and HD6XX) through the Bifrost2. Especially the song “Forever Now”! :beyersmile:

May 27, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #2,527 of 3,356
Listening with Bifrost 2 ---" Lyr 3 with a nice old RCA tube...The Guess Who's "Follow Your Daughter Home!!" ....with Focal Clears...

Period. Over and Out!!

Alex
Awesome setup. I'm enjoying an OG MB Bifrost -> Lyr3 -> Arya. Couple questions for you. 1) Do you think Bifrost 2 would offer audible improvements from OG MB Bifrost? 2) If you could upgrade 1 component to either a MB Gungnir w/Unison or Mjolnir, what would you choose?

May 28, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #2,528 of 3,356
I had the OG MB bifrost for 2 years. With the lastest USB upgrade, before it was sold as a beta adapter. The difference IMO is enough to justify moving on to B2. As far as audible improvemnets, that will depend on your ears, the material you play and the resolving power of yuor headphones. In my case with Focal Clears it does sound "better" IMO.

I love the Lyr 3...compared to the older Lyrs....for me its a very good hybrid tube amp. I have not heard or used the Mjolnir or Gungnir. If I were to go that route I would get both so they matched physically. (yes its vanity but cosmetically...the look great together).

WIth the level of performance I get with the B2 and L3 I see no reason to upgrade either of the components. Especially the B2...especially with all the improvements in its design...

Alex

May 28, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,529 of 3,356
This being a Lyr 3 thread...I must state the Lyr 3 is the best of all the past Lyr's for sure....

Having only 1 tube to deal with with all the NOS search for perfection and the new design improvements..the vast amount of power available with a SE out...makes the upgrade from the older stuff a no brainer IMO.

Having balanced in house in several formats in equipment has taken the mystery out of is balanced better than SE....and the answer for me was nope, both good, very hard to really tell any difference in music quality or reproduction..

So the Lyr 3 will save you in tube chasing costs and in balanced cables!!

Alex

May 29, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #2,530 of 3,356

Period. Over and Out!!

Alex

Picture(s) or it didn't happen. :) :)

May 29, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #2,531 of 3,356
The Lyr3+Bifrost2 combo really is something isn’t it? :)

Thoroughly enjoying this album I found on Bandcamp yesterday, with the Lyr3 (w/Tung-Sol 6SN7 reissue tube and HD6XX) through the Bifrost2. Especially the song “Forever Now”! :beyersmile:

Have you ever listened to @Ripper2860 's favorite album? No issues with it shutting the Lyr 3 down from what I haven't heard. :)

Richard.jpg

May 29, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #2,532 of 3,356
Which brings me to ...

When the hell are you going to return it? I can't send you your next request until you do ...

Capture.JPG

May 29, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #2,533 of 3,356
Which brings me to ...

When the hell are you going to return it? I can't send you your next request until you do ...

Capture.JPG

That wouldn't fit in my 8-track player. Please pay more attention next time you send me something. :)

May 30, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #2,534 of 3,356
May 30, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #2,535 of 3,356
I am sure you can find an adapter Bill. This one for example for cassete (not CD, I know) is selling for less than $10 on eBay :wink:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sparkomati...es-In-Your-8-Track-Player-SCA10-/233514658148

1590859522403.png

ROFL! But I'm confused -- does the CD go on the left spindle? Or the right? And no reverse? Huh? Can you only listen to something once 'cause there's no way to rewind it? Is there maybe an instructional video that comes with it? You would think a high quality brand like Sparkomatic would offer one, or at least a 24/7 staffed tech support line. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back