Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #2,491 of 3,350
Old news. I've been quarantined with Barbie for weeks. I've learned she really loves Tequila and pr0n - in that order. :smirk:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #2,493 of 3,350
I'm going to assume they're out of stock everywhere now since @Ripper2860 has seen this. :)

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #2,494 of 3,350
2 words - HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE. :wink:

May 1, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,495 of 3,350
Hi All,
Considering getting Lyr3 for my planars, should I get it with AK4490 or would you suggest some separate DAC (100-200$ range)?
I’m in the separatist camp. Having a separate DAC gets you (usually) more input variety, and the ability to upgrade If/when desired. You’re limited to USB with the internal card. Again, my opinion, fwiw...

May 18, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #2,498 of 3,350
I'm a separates guy as well. I've never had a dac/amp where I liked both parts equally as well. I guesss for 5K, you can probably find a really nice one, but I get so much more enjoyment by buying each one individually and fine-tuning the character of my system that way for much less money. Now I'm hoping to get a Bifrost 2 to go with my Lyr3.

May 18, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #2,499 of 3,350
I'm a separates guy as well. I've never had a dac/amp where I liked both parts equally as well. I guesss for 5K, you can probably find a really nice one, but I get so much more enjoyment by buying each one individually and fine-tuning the character of my system that way for much less money. Now I'm hoping to get a Bifrost 2 to go with my Lyr3.
What DAC are you currently using with your Lyr3? I just bought a Lyr3 to go with my original MB Bifrost. Absolutely love it but eyeing the Bifrost 2 as well. Unison USB is a nice breakthrough but I have no issues with noise currently. Just worried that despite the complete redesign if there will be an appreciable audible improvement to what is already an amazing DAC.

May 25, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #2,501 of 3,350
Hi All,
Sounds like I have an issue with my Lyr3.
For certain frequencies when listening loud enough (~ 75% of max volume or higher), unit goes in protection mode for about 20 sec.
I was able to reproduce this issue, no matter which headphones I use, result it the same.
Here is when that happens:
When on Netflix (PC app or browser) try the "Europa report" movie somewhere around 1:07:20 - 1:07:26 my unit shuts down every time (1:07:23 to be exact)!
Could someone test it as well? Just want to make sure its my unit only...

P.S. My DAC is Modi3

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #2,502 of 3,350
Hi All,
For certain frequencies when listening loud enough (~ 75% of max volume or higher), unit goes in protection mode for about 20 sec.
I was able to reproduce this issue, no matter which headphones I use, result it the same.
When on Netflix (PC app or browser) try the "Europa report" movie somewhere around 1:07:20 - 1:07:26 my unit shuts down every time (1:07:23 to be exact)!

P.S. My DAC is Modi3

75% of max volume? Like ~2:00 - 3:00 on the volume knob? Have you tried putting the Lyr 3 in high gain?

May 25, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #2,504 of 3,350
Hi All,

P.S. My DAC is Modi3

I would test it if I could, but Europa report doesn’t seem to be available on Netflix for me. However, I read somewhere (don’t remember where, could have been here) about a guy that had similar problems with his Lyr3. It would cut out as if there was a power outage and then it came back a while later. That turned out to be a dodgy mains transformer, and a round trip to Schiit got it fixed. Sounds kinda like there could be a similar issue with yours. Send ‘em an email and let us know how it goes :)

May 25, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #2,505 of 3,350
I would test it if I could, but Europa report doesn’t seem to be available on Netflix for me. However, I read somewhere (don’t remember where, could have been here) about a guy that had similar problems with his Lyr3. It would cut out as if there was a power outage and then it came back a while later. That turned out to be a dodgy mains transformer, and a round trip to Schiit got it fixed. Sounds kinda like there could be a similar issue with yours. Send ‘em an email and let us know how it goes :)

Here is the wav from that movie: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JUGlPlF1v58xvuFciPyBJPRkBoepPObc/view?usp=sharing
Shuts down my Lyr3 on 3rd second (relay goes off for around 10sec and then back on)

Recording may seem glitchy. However thats how its in the movie (in the movie the sound is simulating "interference") so thats correct sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back