Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Jun 16, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #2,551 of 3,350
Opinions on what makes a tube sound good probably differ too much to make any definitive chart, but maybe if everyone chimes in with their select tubes we could make somekind of vote and make a chart of the “most liked” tube or something :slight_smile:

My favourite thus far still is the reissue Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, closely followed by the NOS Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, which sounds very much alike but a little leaner.

Haven’t tried the Bad Boy, RCA grey glass or any of the other much coveted more expensive tubes yet, but I’m also not in a hurry to do that as I’m quite happy with what I’ve got. I’d love to try a Westinghouse D-getter though.
:L3000:
It's great to hear opinions. I see the reissue Tung-Sol available on Amazon for around $28 w/shipping. I may start there as I see the NOS tubes are pricey and/or tougher to source.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #2,552 of 3,350
My top 3 tubes in the Lyr 3.

1. Brimar CV1988 - Huge Sounstage, and overall sweet but detailed sound, with great extension on both ends "Magical tube sound"

2. Sylvania 6SN7GT 52' Bad Boy - Balanced Sound with a bit of warmth and good bass, and some of the best treble ever.

3. Westinghouse 6SN7GTB D Getter w/ Black Plates - Nuetral from top to bottom, with an airy treble, good soundstage and imaging.

Other tubes that I rolled, that didn't live up to the hype or jive well for me.

1. KenRad 6SN7GT Black Glass & Clear Glass w/Staggered Plates - Dark sounding overall, bloomy bass, and there is a spike somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble that can get a bit hot.

2. RCA 6SN7GT Grey Glass early 40's - Way too warm and smooths over everything to much. This tube has it's place due to the extreme warmth, but the Lyr 3 is not it.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for sharing your impressions! That Brimar sounds interesting but I see they're selling for around $300 on Ebay! Is that really the going rate?

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #2,554 of 3,350
Hi all, considering getting a Lyr 3, coming from a 789. Just had a question I would love some input on.
I’ve heard the Lyr 3 is considered pretty bright for a tube amp. But relative to the 789, it should still be much warmer right? Also, how do the highs of the Lyr 3 compare to highs of the 789?

(also thanks to @XERO1 for helping me open my mind away from chasing measurements and towards enjoying the sound :) )

Aug 17, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,555 of 3,350
Hi all, considering getting a Lyr 3, coming from a 789. Just had a question I would love some input on.
I’ve heard the Lyr 3 is considered pretty bright for a tube amp. But relative to the 789, it should still be much warmer right? Also, how do the highs of the Lyr 3 compare to highs of the 789?

(also thanks to @XERO1 for helping me open my mind away from chasing measurements and towards enjoying the sound :) )
Depends what tube you use. The stock tube is pretty neutral. Vintage tubes add more warmth. My fav setup was the lyr 3 with vintage tubes and lcd2 classic.

Aug 17, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #2,558 of 3,350
No....the Lyr 3 with the stock Tungsol is much better than the THX amps....have both here...and the stock tube is pretty good as is....

Try it you will like it!

Alex
Is “Tungsol” the same as “JJ 6SN7” it says on the website? I don’t know much about tubes. And so you would say the Lyr 3 is definitely warmer and less bright than the 789?

Aug 17, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #2,559 of 3,350
This is the stock tube I got with mine, its a TungSol not a JJ brand. The tube Schiit included in mine was a Russian re-issue, JJ is a different "brand".

The Lyr 3 is definitly the smoother of the two amps for sure...I sold my THX amp and still have and use it every day...
l3.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #2,560 of 3,350
Its still an amazing am even with stock tube, but truly shines with vintage. Its fun to roll tubes.

Aug 17, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #2,565 of 3,350
Ok thanks for the info. So would you still say the above is true regarding the Lyr 3 vs 789?

Yeah I think Schiit ran out of stock, they used to have two options, some old russian tube and the tung-sol for a bit extra. Now they just have JJ's. You can always get tung-sol's, etc. elsewhere though. Never heard the 789 but the Lyr 3 was my favorite amp I've owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back