Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Aug 17, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #2,566 of 3,356
Yeah I think Schiit ran out of stock, they used to have two options, some old russian tube and the tung-sol for a bit extra. Now they just have JJ's. You can always get tung-sol's, etc. elsewhere though. Never heard the 789 but the Lyr 3 was my favorite amp I've owned.
Favorite amp ever? Wow that’s quite the compliment! Definitely thinking about trying it. Now just gotta figure out how I would place it, because stacking on top of a Bifrost 2 seems risky heat-wise.

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #2,567 of 3,356
Favorite amp ever? Wow that’s quite the compliment! Definitely thinking about trying it. Now just gotta figure out how I would place it, because stacking on top of a Bifrost 2 seems risky heat-wise.

Of what I've owned. I heard some amps that were more expensive that I liked more, but of what I've owned this was my favorite. It has a microdetail to it and other subtleties to the sound my other amps didn't making it sound more complete and more satisfying across a wider range of listening levels. This is something you appreciate with more listening. I need to get a Lyr 3 again soon sadly had to sell my first one due to hard financial times. I do have a Bifrost 2 though, first time I didn't have the bifrost 2 so curious how it will sound with it.

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,568 of 3,356
Hi all, considering getting a Lyr 3, coming from a 789. Just had a question I would love some input on.
I’ve heard the Lyr 3 is considered pretty bright for a tube amp. But relative to the 789, it should still be much warmer right? Also, how do the highs of the Lyr 3 compare to highs of the 789?
Hey Sean_MR.

Glad to see that you are thinking about getting a Lyr 3. I've owned one for about a month now and I couldn't be happier with it. It is one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard.

I wouldn't say it's any warmer than the 789, but it most certainly sounds better in just about evey way to my ears! :k701smile:

While it is slightly on the brighter side of purely neutral, it's SQ is so clean that I don't find the little bit of extra brightness it has to be fatiguing at all. And I found that some of that brightness was coming from the stock JJ tube. The NOS Sylvania 6SN7 tube I'm currently using eliminated almost all of the extra brightness, and it now sounds simply amazing!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #2,569 of 3,356
Is “Tungsol” the same as “JJ 6SN7” it says on the website? I don’t know much about tubes. And so you would say the Lyr 3 is definitely warmer and less bright than the 789?
I got my Lyr3 a few months after release, with both the Russian NOS 6N8S and New TungSol 6SN7. A friend has the 789, so I’ve spent time with it (and I findit quite bright), and the Lyr is more accurate than bright, and warmer with some tubes. But accurate is what I’m looking for, or even a touch of warmth, but not bright. For that! i love the Lyr. I’ve also listened to the JJ (bought one at the Schittr when they were first offered. My tubes of choice are a Baldwin-labeled sylvania, and the JJ, thus far. 6SN7s are readily available, and not overly expensive. But you don’t NEED to go there. Give it a go!

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #2,570 of 3,356
(also thanks to @XERO1 for helping me open my mind away from chasing measurements and towards enjoying the sound :) )
giphy14.gif

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #2,571 of 3,356

I was a bit concerned about stacking Lyr 3 on BF2 and asked on about any others that might be concerned. Jason Stoddard replied and stated that it is perfectly fine to do so, as it was deined to be stacked and if they were the slightest bit concerned they wouldn't offer a 5 year warranty. Several other owners of this fabulous pair chimed in saying it was a non-issue. I've had mine stacked since the introduction of BF2 and have not experienced any issues.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #2,572 of 3,356
I wouldn't say it's any warmer than the 789, but it most certainly sounds better in just about evey way to my ears! :k701smile:
Wait, it's not warmer than the 789? Right when I thought I was finally beginning to understand things :beyersmile:

I'm assuming this is due to my gap in audio knowledge again, but how can a class AB hybrid-tube amp not be warmer than the renowned "clinical and sterile" 789? Also, if it's not warmer than the 789, does that also imply that it has the same sound signature as the 789?

I'm confused but I'm sure there are (hopefully) quite simple explanations to my confusion :)

Aug 18, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #2,573 of 3,356
Wait, it's not warmer than the 789? Right when I thought I was finally beginning to understand things :beyersmile:

I'm assuming this is due to my gap in audio knowledge again, but how can a class AB hybrid-tube amp not be warmer than the renowned "clinical and sterile" 789? Also, if it's not warmer than the 789, does that also imply that it has the same sound signature as the 789?

I'm confused but I'm sure there are (hopefully) quite simple explanations to my confusion :)
No it doesn't have the same sound signature. Best way is to hear it for yourself.

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,576 of 3,356
I like all my Schiit, a lot, but I love my Lyr. :D
Me too! 😍

I think it is the best sounding mid-sized amp Jason has designed so far.

Plus, the fact that it doesn't run as hot as an oven is just icing on an already delicious cake. :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #2,577 of 3,356

I’ve owned my LYR3 for well over a year and couldn’t be happier. I also own the Mjolnir2 from Schiit and that amp has basically become obsolete for me. I was the happiest person in the world with my MJ2 but now? ....it’s solely used as a base to stack the LYR3 on top of it. Also, tube rolling is so much easier with the LYR3 and IMO, the tubes are cheaper and easier to buy then what I was paying for when rolling with the MJ2. Additionally, you only need 1 tube in the LYR3 versus 2. I have t even talked about the sound qualities but the attributes I just listed is a good starting point. To me, the LYR3 is a better sounding amp as it’s more neutral with some coloration based on what tube you’re using. Luckily for me, I literally have 50+ tubes to roll into this baby and the fun I’m having is habitual and fun. It’s a great sounding amp and for the money? It’s hard to beat for my ears. As everyone’s been saying, you just have to hear it for yourself.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,578 of 3,356

Sorry that the answers and opinions we’re giving are making you feel like you’re playing Whack-a-Mole (All our ears, sources, tubes and music are different). But whilst our words vary, we’re all REALLY HAPPY with this medium-sized one-tube wonder that is Lyr 3.

Schiit has this try before you buy thing, and you’re a fellow Californian, so a trip to the Schittr might also not be out of the question. Have a listen yourself - we’d all enjoy hearing your impression, and I hope you will enjoy Lyr like we all do! Even though I lived 3 miles from the Schiitr at the time, I bought and returned a Jot, because it seemed overly bright, and returned it and bought Lyr. The small restocking fee was well worth it.

We all think you’ll love Lyr.

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,579 of 3,356
I could easily part with my MJ2 but not my LYR3. Problem is I got a couple thousand in pricey 6DJ8 type tubes. I've thought all along it's not just the circuit design but that it's the use of 6SN7 types in LYR3, there's just something so engaging about the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back