Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Dec 8, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,638 of 3,350
Yep.

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #1,640 of 3,350
It's a wonderful combo. I also have an EITR and feel that with this combo (MIMBY/EITR/LYR3) there's no need to upgrade -- unless Schiit introduces a less expensive, single-ended Gumby, Jr DAC, that is. :wink:

Mimby and EITR produce lovely detail and textures, excellent air and space, all emanating for a quiet black background. And cheaper than Bifrost MB. :D

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,641 of 3,350
Great Stuff at the Moment im using a M/F V90 DAC and Magni 3 for my LCD2-C for my pc setup but feel i need a change now the v90 is a decent DAC and the Magni 3 is a decent Amp but i wanna change for the Schiit stack i feel my Headphones deserve better and i use my Active speakers also

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,642 of 3,350
Great Stuff at the Moment im using a M/F V90 DAC and Magni 3 for my LCD2-C for my pc setup but feel i need a change now the v90 is a decent DAC and the Magni 3 is a decent Amp but i wanna change for the Schiit stack i feel my Headphones deserve better and i use my Active speakers also

I think replacing the Magni with a Lyr 3 will make a bigger difference than replacing your DAC, though I will admit I’ve never heard a really high end DAC so my experience is limited. I will say that I did perceive a small difference between my Modi 2U (4490EQ chip) and my Topping D50 (dual ES9038Q2M chips) with the win going to the Topping for better separation of the instruments, but it could all be in my head.

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,643 of 3,350
The move from Magni 3 to Lyr 3, as stated above, is a rather significant jump in SQ -- one I think you will be very happy with. The Modi Multibit difference is a noted refinement in textures and tonality for me and the music I listen to -- acoustic instruments as played in Jazz, classical, etc. To say it is DAY and NIGHT, may be a bit of a stretch, but if your amp and HP are up to the task, Modi Multibit can reveal a nice bit of refinement and improved musicality. Add EITR and you get a tad more via less 'glare' typical of USB.

As has been stated several times in several threads, it's not so much about the DAC chip as it is the filter used. The Mike Moffatt designed filter in Modi Multibit is something special in a DAC at that price. :wink:

As always -- YMMV.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #1,645 of 3,350
Anyone compared THX AAA 789 with Lyr 3? Preferably with HifiMan planars.

I’d be curious too. My guess is it’s going to be much more neutral and clinical. The Lyr isn’t very tubey, but it probably would sound much more so in comparison. I’ve thought about getting one myself to see what it would pair well with. I’m thinking an LCD2C.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #1,647 of 3,350
I have a suggestion for Jason and the team. I just purchased a new Lyr 3 as a straight amp since I already have a separate phono stage and a Modi 3. Therefore, I had no use for the currently available add-in cards.

Why not develop a simple "second RCA input" add-on card? I would have purchased that for my Lyr 3. This way, I would have been able to eliminate the need for a separate switcher (SYS), and simply used the Lyr to switch between the Modi 3 and my standalone phono preamp. Are there any technical limitations to adding a second set of unbalanced RCA inputs using an add-in card to the Lyr/Jot?

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,648 of 3,350
(Wild west hillbilly accent...)

Woah, woah! Hold on there fella. I don't know what it is you think we do here, but that kind of pragmatic and useful thinking could get you into trouble round these parts. It confuses @Ripper2860, and we don't take kindly to people who confuse Ripper.

:wink:

That's a good idea though. Anything that cuts down on the number of boxes between source and transducer is a good thing in my book.

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,649 of 3,350
^^^ OK -- Now I'm confused, but I'm not really sure about what. :confused:

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,650 of 3,350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back