Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Jul 3, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,246 of 3,350
Freeflap - If you got better results from a cable, just wait an see what an amp can do. I am using Alpha Primes, with my Lyr 3 on high gain with KenRad tube, and they are sounding glorious. I can only imagine that all of MrSpeakers headphones sound great on the Lyr 3, no matter what cable you are using.

Another update: i found a lightly used Lyr3 on ebay.. and bought it. It arrived Saturday. it has the multibit USB card installed and it came with the TungSol and the LISST. So far, i have not tried the LISST yet, but am enjoying the amp very much.

Initially, I was not impressed with the sound vs my jds element. it was very similar. however, after 24-48 hours of burn, it has opened up greatly. the sound is deep rich and smooth. The ether flow no longer sound dark. they have opened up and very musical. no etching in the treble, but very clear and detailed. All three of my headphones sound better with this amp: monoprice m1060, ether flow, and LCD2.

Need to spend some more time listening but so far am happy and suprised that it has made such a noticeable difference.

Jul 6, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,248 of 3,350
How would the Lyr 3 compare with something like the Audio GD R2R-11? I had the chance to test the Lyr 3 with my HD800S and I love it. However, I found the Vali 2 / Mimby combo to provide 90% of the sound IMHO.

You might want to also check the Jotunheim thread even though it's not exactly a Lyr 3. The reason I say that is because I see lots of people with that and the Audio-GD R2R-11.

Jul 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #1,249 of 3,350
You might want to also check the Jotunheim thread even though it's not exactly a Lyr 3. The reason I say that is because I see lots of people with that and the Audio-GD R2R-11.

I've had the pleasure of testing the entire Schiit line up. I found the Jotunheim too bright for the HD800S and or me. Initially it was the amp/dac I wanted.

Jul 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,250 of 3,350
I've had the pleasure of testing the entire Schiit line up. I found the Jotunheim too bright for the HD800S and or me. Initially it was the amp/dac I wanted.

Sometimes this hobby is about matching one components zigs with a complimentary components zags for a satisfying end result.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #1,251 of 3,350
For those who use the Abyss 1266 Phi with LYR3, as I have been doing lately, I want to note that driving it in the high gain position is required for me. I played HP roulette today with my Phi, HD800, and Utopia on the LYR3. Both the HD800 and Utopia sound fine and full bodied with the low gain setting. The Phi sounds washed out, body-less, especially with string instruments, regardless of volume setting. High gain, even with a lower volume setting, and the Phi sounds just fine.

Not sure what the reason is but... Anyone else run into this using the Phi?

Jul 11, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #1,252 of 3,350
For those who use the Abyss 1266 Phi with LYR3, as I have been doing lately, I want to note that driving it in the high gain position is required for me. I played HP roulette today with my Phi, HD800, and Utopia on the LYR3. Both the HD800 and Utopia sound fine and full bodied with the low gain setting. The Phi sounds washed out, body-less, especially with string instruments, regardless of volume setting. High gain, even with a lower volume setting, and the Phi sounds just fine.

Not surprised, even the far more sensitive HiFiMan HE-560 requires high gain to sound its best. The Abyss Phi is a very power hungry headphone, not to mention the Lyr 3's high gain setting is lower than, for example, the medium gain setting on the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 (in other words it's not that high, only 7.5x). Low gain on the Lyr 3 is for really, really sensitive headphones and IEMs.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #1,253 of 3,350

Not the Phi, but the orgional 1266, with great results. Plenty of power, and sounds incredible with the Sylvania BB.

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,256 of 3,350
Congrats!! You'll love it so much that you'll soon forget that it's silver. :wink:

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,257 of 3,350
Congrats!! You'll love it so much that you'll soon forget that it's silver. :wink:
I never understood the need for black Schiit.

(I'm pretty sure that's a sign of a serious medical condition. If you have black shiit, please contact your doctor.)

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #1,259 of 3,350
I never understood the need for black Schiit.

(I'm pretty sure that's a sign of a serious medical condition. If you have black shiit, please contact your doctor.)
my big reason is because everything else i have is black and being a bit ocd i like stuff to match. funny thing is i just got the black jot for my father in law and he ended up taking my silver one because i liked the black better. doh. ill see if he wants to trade back now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back