Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #1,261 of 3,350
I'm waiting for the Lyr 4, the newer Coherence™ and Continuity™. :ksc75smile:

Are you implying that Lyr 3 is Incoherent and Incontinent? :unamused:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,262 of 3,350
my big reason is because everything else i have is black and being a bit ocd i like stuff to match. funny thing is i just got the black jot for my father in law and he ended up taking my silver one because i liked the black better. doh. ill see if he wants to trade back now
Totally agree - other than schiit, all other components I've got are black. Just looks so much better!!

Jul 13, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,264 of 3,350
Guys, how does Lyr 3 compare to Valhalla 2 when pairing with HD650? Which is generally considered to have better synergy?
If your priorities are bass and treble extension, cohesion, and overall tone, Lyr 3. If you're looking for soundstage and openness, Valhalla. It's been too long since I've heard the V2, so someone feel free to chime in.

There is also having to roll 4 tubes vs 1, if that's a concern.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #1,265 of 3,350
Guys, how does Lyr 3 compare to Valhalla 2 when pairing with HD650? Which is generally considered to have better synergy?
Valhalla is better out of the box. The HD650 sounds a little dull and uninspiring on the Lyr with the stock tubes.

If you choose the right tubes on the Lyr 3, though, the Lyr goes toe to toe with the Valhalla, and has smoother treble.

The Lyr 3 is also more versatile and blows the Valhalla away with other headphones.

If the 650 is your only headphone, go Valhalla. It's cheaper and is very hard to beat with the 650.

If you have other headphones, go Lyr and find a good tube that suits the 650 well.

Other 650 amps to consider:
Vali 2 w/upgraded tube - not as clear/spacious/concise as Valhalla, but also less dry. This amp is the best bargain in audio as far as I'm concerned.
MCTH w/ LPS - A step up from the Vali 2 w/ the 650.
Gilmore Lite mk 2 - Same price as the Lyr 3 and better with the 650 if you don't want the hassle of tube rolling. Its a punchy amp with solid bass and is also super smooth. Really good pairing.

Also worth considering is the new Massdrop ZDT Jr. It could be hard to get your hands on and it's one I haven't heard yet. Some, though, consider it the best 650 amp you can get under $1000

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #1,266 of 3,350
Valhalla is better out of the box. The HD650 sounds a little dull and uninspiring on the Lyr with the stock tubes.

If you choose the right tubes on the Lyr 3, though, the Lyr goes toe to toe with the Valhalla, and has smoother treble.

The Lyr 3 is also more versatile and blows the Valhalla away with other headphones.

If the 650 is your only headphone, go Valhalla. It's cheaper and is very hard to beat with the 650.

If you have other headphones, go Lyr and find a good tube that suits the 650 well.

Vali 2 w/upgraded tube - not as clear/spacious/concise as Valhalla, but also less dry. This amp is the best bargain in audio as far as I'm concerned.
Gilmore Lite mk 2 - Same price as the Lyr 3 and better with the 650 if you don't want the hassle of tube rolling. Its a punchy amp with solid bass and is also super smooth. Really good pairing.

Also worth considering is the new Massdrop ZDT Jr. It could be hard to get your hands on and it's one I haven't heard yet. Some, though, consider it the best 650 amp you can get under $1000
Believe it or not, I found the best Schiit amp, for the 650's, is the Jotunheim. Now, for the HD600, I think is better (overall sound) with the Valhalla. Every other headphone sounds best with Lyr 3. This is based of of my owning all three Schiit amps and both 650 and 600.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,267 of 3,350

Wow a lot of options there, I have been seriously consider the MCTH.

First time I have heard about the Gilmore or ZDT amp, so will research into it. Thanks so much.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,268 of 3,350
Believe it or not, I found the best Schiit amp, for the 650's, is the Jotunheim. Now, for the HD600, I think is better (overall sound) with the Valhalla. Every other headphone sounds best with Lyr 3. This is based of of my owning all three Schiit amps and both 650 and 600.
Simply a matter of taste.

I prefer the Valhalla to the Jot. Both amps liven the 650 up quite a bit, making it leaner and faster sounding. The Jot takes it one step too far for my tastes.

Then again, I'm a proven/incurable tube-head. The Gilmore is the only SS amp I've heard that brings enough smoothness to the table for my tastes.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #1,269 of 3,350
Believe it or not, I found the best Schiit amp, for the 650's, is the Jotunheim.

Is this Jotunheim with Multibit dac and running balanced?

I do like idea of solid state, as its more cleaner look and simple to me, which I prefer. Although I here so much about 650 should be paired with Tubes.

FYI, I am currently using a NFB 11.28, how would you say it compares?

To be honest, I am very skeptical about Jotunheim and balanced cable as I suspect I won't hear a difference.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #1,271 of 3,350
Is this Jotunheim with Multibit dac and running balanced?

I do like idea of solid state, as its more cleaner look and simple to me, which I prefer. Although I here so much about 650 should be paired with Tubes.

FYI, I am currently using a NFB 11.28, how would you say it compares?

To be honest, I am very skeptical about Jotunheim and balanced cable as I suspect I won't hear a difference.

I should probably mention that I like the smooth signature of HD650, I mostly like slower kind of music and instrumental and vocals e.g. Jazz and Mando slow pop.

I ran the Jot with a Multibit Bifrost. On this particular amp, with this particular headphone, the balanced output is mandatory. With other amps (the MCTH, for example), the balanced output doesn't improve the sound. It's only there for convenience.

From what you're describing, the Gilmore may be a very good match for you.

We should probably curtail the 650 discussion since we've moved away from the Lyr. Feel free to PM myself, or others, if you still have questions and good luck on your search!

P.S. - I'm listening to the 650 on the Lyr w/ a Psvane UK-6SN7 right now. It's pretty fantastic.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #1,274 of 3,350

What tube is the best one in Lyr3 for HD650, and what difference does it make compared to the original Tung-Sol and/or the NOS 6N8S?

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #1,275 of 3,350
What tube is the best one in Lyr3 for HD650, and what difference does it make compared to the original Tung-Sol and/or the NOS 6N8S?
I would give a Ken Rad vt-231 a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Back