Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 21, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #661 of 3,350
Yggy (a2) > Saga > Vidar.

Mind you, the Lyr 3 has great synergy with the Eikon, but this combo was killer.

Both are better than Mj2 (going from memory), but I don't know if it's better than Rag, as I've only heard it at audio shows.

Edit: I might have to rebuy the Saga and pick up a Vidar for my home set up. It was that good.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #663 of 3,350
Interesting, running right from speaker taps?
Yes. The cable was custom made from YFS for it. It had banana plugs for the +/- L and R headphone wires, but also had a 5th wire to connect to ground so the shielding in the cable wasn't free floating. That ground wire connected to the ground lug on the Vidar chassis.

(Cable is from Yourfinalsystem.com, they've made custom headphone cables for me in the past, good stuff and not crazy expensive.)

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #664 of 3,350
It also occurs to me that I posted this in the Lyr 3 thread. I had been browsing the Eikon thread and thought I was posting there. Mod can move these posts if desired.

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #665 of 3,350
Just because you have never heard of it doesnt make it not true. 20-20 is an average. There have even been cases of children with asthma being able to hear 30khz range. Want to talk more about it we can do so in sound science and not in this thread.
*Woosh* lol, maybe this will help:
Ok cool. I currently teach college and hate when people say absolutes lol like no one, never, always, etc. Its just a bad pet peeve. Thanks for aknowledging that. You are correct vast majority fall within that and usually hear lower than 20khz especially in aging. Usually has to be in a lab enviroment and not hugly common to hear above. More people hear below 20hz than can hear above 20khz.

What? No one can hear 28khz, I've never heard of anyone that could, and 20 to 20k is always the reference range.

Now where is my Absolutes vodka...

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #666 of 3,350
*Woosh* lol, maybe this will help:
Ha ha. Lol i got ya now. Yeah did not catch it till you did that. Guess i set myself up for that one.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #668 of 3,350
Has anyone been able to compare the Lyr 2 and Lyr 3? Is it worth getting the Lyr 2 now, or is the 3 really a large upgrade?

Take this with a grain f salt, I haven’t had the Lyr 2 in awhile, I believe the Lyr 3 is in a completely different league it is a far superior amp in sonics and versatility.

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #669 of 3,350
I just heard a better Schiit DAC/Amp combo; one I like more than the Lyr 3/Mimby on my ZMF Eikon.

The bass was more controlled without sacrificing impact. Tonality was perfect. Let me say that again. Perfect. Staging was wide and deep. It was the best I've ever heard from those headphones. The LFF modified HE6 was amazing though it as well. Best dac amp combo I've heard to date.

Edit: I suppose I could tell you what the combo was.

Nah, I'll make you guys guess.

Ok

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #671 of 3,350
Seconded, with my 2 cents, had a Valhalla (plus the Lyr 1& 2) with the 800 and 650, the Lyr 3 is Schiit’s best amp to date (caveat, I’ve only listened to the Rag at meets and I’ve never heard the Jot).
Lyr 3+stock TS > Jot > Asgard 2 in my experience. Mainly, less glary highs, punchier bass, better instrument separation as you go up. That's in sync with price differences. But the Lyr 3 also competes well with my Neurochrome HP-1, which costs 2.5x.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #672 of 3,350
Ah... Good To know! So should a solid-state Amplifier ( e.g. Asgard 2 or Jotunheim ) have Blacker background than The Lyr 3? or it’s not a matter of tube-amp vs ss-Amps?
Because I’ve never listen To a Tube amp...
I've owned both the Asgard 2 and the Jot, and I much prefer the Lyr 3 (with stock Tung-Sol tube for now) to either, listening with Ether C Flows. Whatever slight increase in perceived background noise (not much that I can tell), the Lyr 3 produces a more coherent, spatially organized, fluid but very detailed rendering. I listen to lots of modern piano work (in jazz solo and ensemble, also modern classical) and my pet peeve is when mid-to-high frequencies, and especially overtones, sound grainy compared with what I experience in live performances by the same artists. So far, the Lyr 3 wins big in that department, and holds its own against the much more expensive solid-state Neurochrome HP-1, while providing a more intimate, small room experience than the more austere, big-room feeling of the HP-1. The Lyr 3 is maybe a tad slower on sharp transients from percussion, but it more than compensates with tight control and the most solid, 3D rendering of bass (jazz double bass, kick drum) of all of those amps.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #673 of 3,350
Ah! But I’ve heard that The Jotunheim was quite bright, isn’t it?
Depends on the headphones. With two MrSpeakers 'phones, Ether C Flows or Æon, not overly bright to my taste, and outstanding with transients, but it lacks the overall coherence and liquidity of the Lyr 3 with tubes. The Jot is a very good amp for the price, but the Lyr 3 with tubes goes from good to delight. If you look at my sig, I have ayDAC upstream of the Lyr 3 that costs 4.5x the Lyr 3, and I find that the Lyr 3 keeps up with the DAC, and if anything improves how non-oversampled 44.1/16 tracks come through relative to the much more expensive HP-1. If it was my money, I'd go for a Lyr 3 with the stock Tung-Sol tube and be done with it for a while, and then focus on DACs and headphones if I wanted more.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #674 of 3,350
ok that could be a game changer for me... The possibility to have The balanced connection...
Balanced is overrated. It is important in long signal paths for common-mode rejection, but I lost nothing going from balanced (Jot) to not balanced (HP-1 and Lyr 3). On the Jot I did prefer balanced to SE somewhat. The HP-1 has a balanced output but it is not internally balanced. I have both SE and balanced cables around for input and output and I use whatever is most convenient. Balanced internal circuitry makes headamps bulkier and more expensive for relatively little benefit AFAIK. The story may be different for speaker amps, but that's not what we are discussing here.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #675 of 3,350
Depends on the headphones. With two MrSpeakers 'phones, Ether C Flows or Æon, not overly bright to my taste, and outstanding with transients, but it lacks the overall coherence and liquidity of the Lyr 3 with tubes. The Jot is a very good amp for the price, but the Lyr 3 with tubes goes from good to delight. If you look at my sig, I have ayDAC upstream of the Lyr 3 that costs 4.5x the Lyr 3, and I find that the Lyr 3 keeps up with the DAC, and if anything improves how non-oversampled 44.1/16 tracks come through relative to the much more expensive HP-1. If it was my money, I'd go for a Lyr 3 with the stock Tung-Sol tube and be done with it for a while, and then focus on DACs and headphones if I wanted more.

Balanced is overrated. It is important in long signal paths for common-mode rejection, but I lost nothing going from balanced (Jot or HP-1) to SE (Lyr 3).

Many thanks :) I'm now ready for a headphone amplifier so in the following days I'll order the Lyr 3... In the ( not so ) near ( neither non so far ) future I'm planning to buy a new DAC ( Maybe the Gungnir Multibit ) and then a planar headphone ( maybe the LCD-2 ) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back