Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #646 of 3,350
Hi. Just wondering if you have had a chance to try any different tubes. I found the tonality and stage depth change quite a bit with different tubes. I found for my Nighthawks that 1952 Sylvanias really open them up and let them spread their wings. So to speak. The stage gaining depth and layering, while overall not sounding as in my face as with some other tubes.

Hi John, unfortunately I do not own any other tubes. I am new to the desktop-audio scene, let alone the tube amps. I am saving the tube rolling for the future, once I start to get the itch to upgrade. Thanks for the tip about the Sylvanias. I will keep that in mind. I believe @Wildcatsare1 also mentioned a tube that opened up the stage. Hoping to tube-roll sooner or later. :)

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #647 of 3,350
Hi John, unfortunately I do not own any other tubes. I am new to the desktop-audio scene, let alone the tube amps. I am saving the tube rolling for the future, once I start to get the itch to upgrade. Thanks for the tip about the Sylvanias. I will keep that in mind. I believe @Wildcatsare1 also mentioned a tube that opened up the stage. Hoping to tube-roll sooner or later. :)
Well I think this amp sounds really fine with all the tubes I have tried. The flavors change, but I think overall this is a very palatable sounding amp.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #648 of 3,350

So far my favorites have been the Sylvania VT-231, from a couple of different vintages (I wish there was a one stop source for tube date codes!), but like @JohnBal, I haven’t found one I don’t like.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #649 of 3,350
Lyr 3 - Brief Impressions:

SETUP:
Mac (JRMC) > Hugo 2 > Lyr 3 (TS 6SN7) > HD800S, LCD-i4, EE Phantom, Senn IE80S

In terms of tonality, calling the Lyr 3 neutral may not be entirely accurate, as it has a bit of warmth to its tone. But to call it warm wouldn't be accurate either, as it actually sounds quite clear and transparent. But I can see people who prefer a brighter sound, describing the Lyr 3 as warm. Its warm tone originates from its smooth treble and the full-bodied mid-range, rather than from enhanced bass. The warmth and fullness in the mid-range reminds you that, it's not a pure SS amp. But it also doesn't possess a syrupy nature. So if you plan on pairing an unmodded HD800 (or don't plan on using EQ), this may not be the ideal amp. The tone shifts once you go from Low Gain to High Gain. On High Gain, the tone is a little brighter due to a brighter upper-midrange and treble. You start to notice some treble hardness and unevenness, but not exactly scratchy. I prefer my HD800S on LG and my Audeze LCD-i4 on HG. I have not tried the 6XX or a LCD 2C on the Lyr 3 yet, but I can see why those headphones would pair quite well with this amp.

Macrodynamics are really good and am still amazed at it, coming from portable audio. But I can't really tell how it compares to other amps. The bass is not super tight, but is sufficiently taut and far from what one would call as loose. Resolution, micro-dynamics and separation are what you could expect from a $500 amp I guess. It doesn't perform to the level of my Hugo 2. The amp is not partial between instruments or vocals, so all instruments and vocals are presented with equal weight and articulation. The transparency, as stated earlier is very good. But it doesn't have a totally dark background as a result of inherent distortion and noise floor. I am really splitting hairs here and expecting this amp to perform at summit-fi level.

The soundstage is definitely quite spacious with good proportions of width, depth and height. Not that it lacks depth, but I would have preferred just a touch more depth. The amp tends to congestion once a while, due to its slightly forward placement of presentation, and the large instrument images it conjures. So a slightly larger overall stage would have also been nice. Also, the stage isn't super airy. So it relies purely on its dimensions to create the holographic feel. It does pull it off for the most part, but does skimp at times. So do not expect a colossal stage.

In terms of the power, it seems to have enough to handle most demanding planars. But it is also quiet enough that, you could plug in your IEMs and not be greeted with a hiss fest (of course, there are these special cases like the SE846 and Zeus, that would hiss out of anything). From a tonality perspective, due to its neutral-warm tone, the amp is not exactly picky about headphones. It doesn't necessrily stand out in any aspect to me. But at the same time, it doesn't seem to have any weakness that would stop me from recommending it. These attributes make the Lyr 3 a versatile amp. So if you have a mix of headphones/IEMs and were looking for an amp in the $500, Lyr 3 just might be one of the best available options out there.

P.S: Sorry for the crappy photo:

Nice write-up! I'm at a bit of a disadvantage due to my very recent entry into the headphone world -- the Vali2 and the Lyr 3 are the only headphone amps I've listened to. All my experience has been in the full-sized world of 2-channel, where one pair of output tubes in my main amp cost 2x the price of admission to the Lyr3. But despite my lack of experience, I am greatly enjoying the Lyr from the standpoint that it really does nothing wrong for such a reasonably priced amp. No doubt there are much better amps (with heftier price tags) out there, but in the 2-channel world reasonably priced (budget?) components are usually saddled with some pretty glaring faults and/or omissions. Perhaps my ignorance in what a better amp can deliver is bliss, but until I hear something better I'll remain happily ignorant as the Lyr sounds good enough that I have no urge or desire to try and find something better. Famous last words and all. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #650 of 3,350

I have 2 duplicate tubes that will probably never get used, if you wanna pay shipping I can send them to you to try out(a sylvania and a rca). Impressively detailed review from someone who’s not super experienced with desktop amps.

Apr 19, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #651 of 3,350
I have 2 duplicate tubes that will probably never get used, if you wanna pay shipping I can send them to you to try out(a sylvania and a rca). Impressively detailed review from someone who’s not super experienced with desktop amps.

Thank you Mtm24, that is very reassuring. Also, very kind of you to let me borrow your tubes. I'd be thrilled to try them. Let me PM you for the shipping charges and details.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #652 of 3,350
Some additional tube impressions:
I finally get it with the Raytheons. :sweat: Gave the T-Plate version a try, and it's an entirely different sounding tube than the flat plate version. I couldn't stand the flat plate (first one I tried), as the upper mids and treble just ripped holes in my ears -- hot, bright, glare-y, just unlistenable to me. The T-Plate version is still a little aggressive in that area (to my ears), but more aptly described as having a bit of emphasis rather than being hot and awful. Bass is tight and powerful, lots of detail in the mids, the highs are very extended, and overall dynamics are excellent. I could see this being a go-to tube if my system was leaning a little too far to the warm side or needed a jolt of life in the highs. Overall a nice sounding tube, but I actually prefer the regular (non-VT-231) Raytheon 6SN7GT as it's just a little smoother sounding, but giving up a bit of the bass depth and overall dynamic swing of the VT-231 in return.

Version I like (T-Plates) are the 2 on the left, version I don't (flat plates) are the 3 on the right:
Ray.jpg

RCA coin base: Meh. Nothing awful about it, but nothing special either. Rather boring. Just kind of closed-in and lifeless. Tube tests high in transconductance, so it's not just worn out...it's just uninspiring. It was cheap enough to satisfy my curiosity. :frowning:
RCA.jpg

Just bought these for cheap ($20 for the pair) on Ebay. Curiosity time again. :stuck_out_tongue: I'll post back once I get them.
Sylvania.jpg

Another curiously cheap Ebay find. I've been keeping my eye out for some oval (round) plate Tung-Sols that aren't priced into oblivion, as that version is supposed to be one of the holy grail 6SN7's like the true Sylvania Bad Boys (seems everyone on Ebay selling a vintage Sylvania these days is calling it a Bad Boy even though the vast majority are not). This mouse ear version is also supposed to be quite good, and I'll post back when I get it too:
Tungsol.jpg

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #653 of 3,350
For those of you who are using in-build DAC modules, do you normally keep the amp off and turn is on just when you are ready to listen? This amp will be used on desk which is shared with my wife. She'll mostly use it as preamp to use with powered speaker and it will be inconvenience to turn on/off amp every time she wants to use computer considering main power switch is in back.

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #654 of 3,350
For those of you who are using in-build DAC modules, do you normally keep the amp off and turn is on just when you are ready to listen? This amp will be used on desk which is shared with my wife. She'll mostly use it as preamp to use with powered speaker and it will be inconvenience to turn on/off amp every time she wants to use computer considering main power switch is in back.

Yes I turn it off every time, if I know I’m going to be listening soon, I’ll turn it on and let it warm up for an hour like when I get home from work, but your going to drastically reduce tube life span if you leave the amp on, and it will be like a mini space heater aswell. The sound isn’t bad by any means on cold starts, it just sounds a bit better when it warms up. I haven’t felt it to be an inconvenience to flip the power switch, just place it in a convenient easy to reach space, or set it up on a switchable power strip that’s within reach.

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #655 of 3,350
do you normally keep the amp off and turn is on just when you are ready to listen?
Yes. You could leave it on all day, and just turn it off at the end of the day. That is pretty much what I do for 9-10 hours a day at work. It's off overnight, and I flip it on when i get in.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #656 of 3,350

I have the (separate) Mimby, so my Lyr 3 is amp only. I leave the Mimby on all the time, but turn the Lyr off when I'm not using it. Normally turn it on and let it warm up 30 minutes or so before listening. However, that's mostly just habit with tube gear -- I've never tested the Lyr to see how long it takes after a cold start to begin sounding good. It's ready to play as soon as the muting relay disengages, so for your wife listening to powered speakers on the desktop, she'd only have to wait about a minute** after turning it on to get sound. I wouldn't recommend leaving it on ALL the time, but turn it on at first use of the day and turn it off before bed. You'll get over a year's worth of life out of a tube that way (probably more), and if you stick to the Russian 6N8S from Schiit, they sound good, are durable, and only cost $10 to replace.

** I have no idea how long the Lyr is muted from a cold start. Mine is dead silent...can't hear even a click through the 'phones when the relay closes, and I can't hear anything externally. Lucky me, huh? :smiley:

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #657 of 3,350
I just heard a better Schiit DAC/Amp combo; one I like more than the Lyr 3/Mimby on my ZMF Eikon.

The bass was more controlled without sacrificing impact. Tonality was perfect. Let me say that again. Perfect. Staging was wide and deep. It was the best I've ever heard from those headphones. The LFF modified HE6 was amazing though it as well. Best dac amp combo I've heard to date.

Edit: I suppose I could tell you what the combo was.

Nah, I'll make you guys guess.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #658 of 3,350
I just heard a better Schiit DAC/Amp combo; one I like more than the Lyr 3/Mimby on my ZMF Eikon.

The bass was more controlled without sacrificing impact. Tonality was perfect. Let me say that again. Perfect. Staging was wide and deep. It was the best I've ever heard from those headphones. The LFF modified HE6 was amazing though it as well. Best dac amp combo I've heard to date.
What combo?

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #659 of 3,350
What? No one can hear 28khz, I've never heard of anyone that could, and 20 to 20k is always the reference range.

Now where is my Absolutes vodka...
Just because you have never heard of it doesnt make it not true. 20-20 is an average. There have even been cases of children with asthma being able to hear 30khz range. Want to talk more about it we can do so in sound science and not in this thread.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #660 of 3,350

Edit: I suppose I could tell you what the combo was.

Nah, I'll make you guys guess.

I’m assuming your talking about the Asgard 3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back