Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Sep 17, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #3,316 of 3,350
6J5's work great in the Vali! I would suggest an adapter arrangement that looks a little less stupid than this though (it's an old picture). 🤣

Vali with 6J5s.jpg
‘Hubba hubba !’:
3BBDB76B-7430-449B-9997-CFDDFBC3C78F.jpeg

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #3,317 of 3,350
The LYR 3 is back into the line-up, having temporarily sidelined the LYR+ (to get reacquainted with the 3).
No more noise/problems from the 3--the cause of which, it turns out, was a faulty socket saver.
I definitely discern sonic differences between the two, upon which I hope to comment later.
That said, I have the Martin Logan Mikros 90 plugged in and am in no particular hurry to remove the LYR 3 at this time.

:smile_phones:

IMG_20230921_133826094_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #3,319 of 3,350
Just introduced a new DAC into the line-up: a used Mojo Audio Mystique v.1.

The LYR 3 [tubed with the Sylvania 6SN7GTB] now sounds more detailed and refined, better overall, perhaps, than the LYR+ sounds with the S.M.S.L. M400. Very nice!

This DAC has made a huge difference. Will hold off with the LYR+ for a few days while I freshly enjoy the LYR 3 for the terrific little amp it is (once again) proving itself to be . . .

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #3,320 of 3,350
Just introduced a new DAC into the line-up: a used Mojo Audio Mystique v.1.

The LYR 3 [tubed with the Sylvania 6SN7GTB] now sounds more detailed and refined, better overall, perhaps, than the LYR+ sounds with the S.M.S.L. M400. Very nice!

This DAC has made a huge difference. Will hold off with the LYR+ for a few days while I freshly enjoy the LYR 3 for the terrific little amp it is (once again) proving itself to be . . .
Have you ever tried a LISST?

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #3,322 of 3,350
Have swapped in the LISST.

Detailed, quick and transparent with extended, well-controlled bass, but comparatively dry and sometimes edgy, lacking the tonal integrity and (large 3-D) spatial character of tube/hybrid mode.

The LYR 3|LISST makes a respectable SS showing, but is surpassed in this regard [IMHO] by the (SS only) S.M.S.L. SP400.

Caveat 1: The LISST was inserted with a new socket saver (which might degrade the signal).
Caveat 2: The newly inserted Mojo Audio DAC is unforgiving of poor recordings. With better recordings, the Schiit|LISST sounds quite a bit better.
Caveat 3: Am now using the Ultrasone PRO 780i w/stock cable--not exactly a forgiving set of headphones. Was formerly using the Amiron Home with aftermarket OCC copper cable.

Am now listening to a well-recorded Pat Metheny album [Secret Story, Geffen Records,1992] and the Schiit|LISST sounds very good. Perhaps the LISST benefited from a "warm-up" period(?). However, if I didn't already know how the LYR 3 sounds with a good tube, I might be very blissfully and ignorantly content now. : )

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #3,323 of 3,350
Have swapped in the LISST.
Detailed, quick and transparent, but comparatively dry and sometimes edgy, lacking the tonal weight/body/definition and (3-D) spatial character of tube/hybrid mode.
The LYR 3|LISST makes a respectable SS showing, but is surpassed in this regard [IMHO] by the (SS only) S.M.S.L. SP400.

Caveat 1: The LISST was inserted with a new socket saver (which might degrade the signal).
Caveat 2: The newly inserted Mojo Audio DAC is unforgiving of poor recordings. With better recordings, the Schiit|LISST sounds quite a bit better.
A moving target, this hobby is, right?

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #3,324 of 3,350
A moving target, this hobby is, right?
Right!

. . . AND my sights are crooked!
:beerchug:

Thank you for encouraging me to insert the LISST. It must have needed a warm-up/settling in period. Now there is more of a sense of natural tonal balance, as-well-as a smoother and more spread-out overall presentation (although a recording-dependent tendency to glare persists here and there).

Probably should do a LYR 3|LISST vs. S.M.S.L. SP400 shootout.

(BTW, Secret Story is a great album!)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #3,325 of 3,350
Right!

. . . AND my sights are crooked!
:beerchug:

Thank you for encouraging me to insert the LISST. It must have needed a warm-up/settling in period. Now there is more of a sense of natural tonal balance, as-well-as a smoother and more spread-out overall presentation (although a recording-dependent tendency to glare persists here and there).

Probably should do a LYR 3|LISST vs. S.M.S.L. SP400 shootout.

(BTW, Secret Story is a great album!)
Any time! I really like LISST in Lyr 3. I swap out with a number of tubes, but my favourite is 2 6J5s in an adapter made by a really nice chap here on HeadFi. The 2 6J5s, being single triodes, eliminate any possibility of crosstalk or other interference inside a 6SN7… 6J5s come in metal and glass (6J5GT) versions, but the metal ones can be had for under $10. Looks a bit odd, but…

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 24, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #3,326 of 3,350
Yours is the second such recommendation I've received for the 2x 6J5 adapter.
Deyan--the "really nice chap" to whom you allude (I gather)--also has some nice 8-pin socket savers for sale that I would like to employ.
However, I closed my PayPal account well over a year ago--with no intention of signing back up, so, regrettably, I cannot manage the purchase(s).
Had a very nice session last night with the LYR 3/LISST and the Martin Logan Mikros 90.
Don't think I'll retire the SMSL SP400 just yet, though. : )

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #3,327 of 3,350
Yours is the second such recommendation I've received for the 2x 6J5 adapter.
Deyan--the "really nice chap" to whom you allude (I gather)--also has some nice 8-pin socket savers for sale that I would like to employ.
However, I closed my PayPal account well over a year ago--with no intention of signing back up, so, regrettably, I cannot manage the purchase(s).
Had a very nice session last night with the LYR 3/LISST and the Martin Logan Mikros 90.
Don't think I'll retire the SMSL SP400 just yet, though. : )
Correct. Wasn’t about to refer him if you weren’t interested. He makes some killer stuff.

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #3,328 of 3,350
Am awaiting the arrival of a 2x 6J5 adapter [from eBay] for the LYR 3 and have a matched pair of RCA on hand.
Meanwhile, a 6922-to-6SN7 adapter [also from eBay] arrived today. Am currently (re)enjoying Bruckner's 4th Symphony with a Russian 6N11 and the Amiron Home: detailed, rich, liquidy and expansive. This 6922 seems to impart a delicacy and finesse to the music, a modicum of restraint that makes the listening experience more immersive/convex for me.
Might do another a/b between the 3 and the +. Not in any great hurry to disengage from the 3--not just yet, anyway [and certainly not at the present moment].

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #3,329 of 3,350
Am awaiting the arrival of a 2x 6J5 adapter [from eBay] for the LYR 3 and have a matched pair of RCA on hand.
Meanwhile, a 6922-to-6SN7 adapter [also from eBay] arrived today. Am currently (re)enjoying Bruckner's 4th Symphony with a Russian 6N11 and the Amiron Home: detailed, rich, liquidy and expansive. This 6922 seems to impart a delicacy and finesse to the music, a modicum of restraint that makes the listening experience more immersive/convex for me.
Might do another a/b between the 3 and the +. Not in any great hurry to disengage from the 3--not just yet, anyway [and certainly not at the present moment].
Funny how that works, right? I’ve had that Lyr 1 for a month or two, and just got a Lyr 2 as well. It’s on show this evening, listening to Billy Gibbons at the moment after a few Taiko tracks from Kodo so I could get my bearings regarding percussion as well as noise floor. This and Lyr 1 are definitely brothers, Inthink Lyr 2 is more detailed, but just as smooth as Lyr 1. I do perceive a lower noise floor, and the detail bump is very nice. But the warmth and overall Lyr vibe are all there! I’m liking what I hear her - a lot. Am using the same 2 GE JAN 5670s in Lyr2 that I took out of Lyr1. Will compare Lyr 3 to all this at the end. One thing about Lyr 2 is that is8s a SPACE HEATER. Even the knob is over 105F…

But I have a Mjolnir 3 on loan from a friend,a dn need to listen to that as well. Too much good stuff!

Interesting on the 6922. I usually find the novals less interesting than the ovtals. Which 6922? I have the adapter, gotta try…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back