Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Oct 16, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #3,331 of 3,350
Got the LYR 3 tubed with 2x RCA 6J5. The LYR 3 runs noticeably cooler and delivers the cleanest separation/best imaging I have heard from this amp so far. More engaging and "true to form" with the 2x 6J5 than with any single 6SN7 I have tried so far . . .

IMG_20231016_155444014_HDR.jpg
[^^^ Aesthetically pleasing to the EAR, though not necessarily to the eye. ^^^]​

Lovely synergy with the Edition Eleven(!): quick, detailed, tuneful and dynamic. The RCA tubes tend to enlarge, relax and sweeten, i.e. musically complement, the Ultrasone's "stock" [read: hyper-focused and leaning a bit bright] presentation/tuning.

Frankly, I prefer this pairing to that of the Elevens with the Hagerman Audio Labs Tuba [w/2x Russian 6N14N]--which is very good in its own right. However, with an upgraded DC power supply [the 15v/3.5A iFi iPower Elite is on order], the Hagerman may equal, or surpass, this LYR 3 configuration in the next round. [The LYR 3 is currently fitted with a good quality UPOCC AC power cord; the Tuba with a generic AC/DC wall wart.]

Both the LYR 3 and the Tuba are revealing of tube changes, so in fairness [to the Tuba], I should probably also get a pair of RCA EL84/6BQ5 . . for further [comparative] listening.

As-of today, though, the LYR 3|2x RCA 6J5 + Edition Eleven pairing is (by far) the BEST I have heard from these Ultrasones and perhaps one of the most symbiotically satisfying configurations I have heard--dare I say--ever(?).

Associated equipment:

Ultrasone Edition Eleven
|FBI Cables UPOCC silver 2-pin-to-mini XLR adapters|NeoTech UPOCC solid core 4x 28AWG silver + 4x 24AWG copper cable<--DakiOm F273 Audio Feedback Stabilizer<--Schiit LYR 3|2x RCA 6J5 [UPOCC copper power cord, Herbie's gabon ebony footers, maple and ebony damping blocks, Alan Maher infinity line treatment]<--NeoTech UPOCC NES-3002 cable<--Tritium TriPhazer 2.0<--Cardas Clear Light RCA-to-XLR cable<--S.M.S.L. M400|EVS Ground Enhancer, Infinity shorting plug [UPOCC copper power cord, Shakti Stone, RDC cones/cups, Alan Maher Infinity line treatment]<--USB Disruptor|UpTone USPCB|Wyred4Sound Recovery [AudioQuest RF Stopper, Jitterbug<--Lenovo G50|Spotify . . . TrippLite&PowerVar AC line conditioners, Alan Maher and Virtual Mode line filters<--Furutech FPX (cu) outlet

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #3,332 of 3,350
Got the LYR 3 tubed with 2x RCA 6J5. The LYR 3 runs noticeably cooler and delivers the cleanest separation/best imaging I have heard from this amp so far. More engaging and "true to form" with the 2x 6J5 than with any single 6SN7 I have tried so far . . .

IMG_20231016_155444014_HDR.jpg
[^^^ Aesthetically pleasing to the EAR, though not necessarily to the eye. ^^^]

Lovely synergy with the Edition Eleven(!): quick, detailed, tuneful and dynamic. The RCA tubes tend to enlarge, relax and sweeten, i.e. musically complement, the Ultrasone's "stock" [read: hyper-focused and leaning a bit bright] presentation/tuning.

Frankly, I prefer this pairing to that of the Elevens with the Hagerman Audio Labs Tuba [w/Russian 2x 6N14N]--which is very good in its own right. However, with an upgraded DC power supply [the 15v/3.5A iFi iPower Elite is on order], the Hagerman may equal, or surpass, this LYR 3 configuration in the next round. [The LYR 3 is currently fitted with a good quality UPOCC power cord; the Tuba with a generic wall wart.]

Both the LYR 3 and the Tuba are revealing of tube changes, so in fairness [to the Tuba], I should probably also get a pair of RCA EL84/6BQ5/6P(N)14P(N) . . for further [comparative] listening.

As-of today, though, the LYR 3|2x RCA 6J5 + Edition Eleven pairing is (by far) the BEST I have heard from these Ultrasones and perhaps one of the most symbiotically satisfying configurations I have heard--dare I say--ever(?).

Associated equipment:

Ultrasone Edition Eleven
|FBI Cables UPOCC silver 2-pin-to-mini XLR adapters|NeoTech UPOCC solid core 4x 28AWG silver + 4x 24AWG copper cable<--DakiOm F273 Audio Feedback Stabilizer<--Schiit LYR 3|2x RCA 6J5 [UPOCC copper power cord, Herbie's gabon ebony footers, maple and ebony damping blocks, Alan Maher infinity line treatment]<--NeoTech UPOCC NES-3002 cable<--Tritium TriPhazer 2.0<--Cardas Clear Light RCA-to-XLR cable<--S.M.S.L. M400|EVS Ground Enhancer, Infinity shorting plug [UPOCC copper power cord, Shakti Stone, RDC cones/cups, Alan Maher Infinity line treatment]<--USB Disruptor|UpTone USPCB|Wyred4Sound Recovery [AudioQuest RF Stopper, Jitterbug<--Lenovo G50|Spotify . . . TrippLite&PowerVar AC line conditioners, Alan Maher and Virtual Mode line filters<--Furutech FPX (cu) outlet
Glad you love them! Me too!

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #3,333 of 3,350
Indeed! The separation / soundstage of 2x6J5 trounces that of 6SN7 (even of CBS/Hytron 5692 !)
A4B706A3-620E-4398-8BAA-932CF72A0F04.jpeg

Oct 17, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #3,334 of 3,350
Swapped in the LYR+.

I think I actually prefer the Edition Eleven with the LYR 3. The LYR 3 optimally constrains, rounds and thickens the "stock" presentation of the Eleven. True complementarity and a whole exceeding the sum of its parts.

That extra bit of energy afforded by the LYR+ over-expresses that extra bit of energy already latent in the Edition Eleven.

However, that same extra bit of [LYR+] energy [together with the plus's greater degrees of refinement and detail] synergizes more effectively with/better complements the NDH-30 making, IMHO, the Neumann/LYR+ pairing more fruitful/engaging [than that of the Neumann/LYR 3].

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #3,336 of 3,350
How did you get those two 6J5s aligned properly [parallel with the LYR's front panel]?
The @Deyan adapter can swivel roughly 135 degrees (1-1/2 right angles).

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #3,337 of 3,350
How did you get those two 6J5s aligned properly [parallel with the LYR's front panel]?
It’s the way the adapter was sesigned. Mine’d crooked too. Couldn’t care less. But in HP preference, mine is myDCAs (Aeon2 open or Ether CX closed, both with EQ. Yummy!

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #3,338 of 3,350
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #3,339 of 3,350
Just don’t go past ‘180’ - the wiring inside might (will?) snap.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #3,340 of 3,350
Jan 19, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #3,341 of 3,350
Just swapped out the LYR+ for the LYR 3, keeping everything else in the equipment chain exactly the same.
Seems like a more efficient/effective power delivery from the LYR 3, with both the HEDDphone One and the MM-500.
With the LYR+, High gain and about 12:00 on the volume dial for the MM-500 [18ohms/100dB]; with the LYR 3, Low gain and about 10:00 on the volume dial(!).
With the LYR+, High gain and about 2:15 on the volume dial for the HEDDphone One [42ohms/87dB]; with the LYR 3, High gain and about 11:00 on the volume dial.
The LYR 3 seems to exert a much better grip on the drivers as well. Everything [from both headphones] sounds weightier, spryer, more expansive and more dynamic.
The LYR 3 also sounds more natural and infused with a more musical pulse with the aforementioned headphones.
. . . am a bit puzzled, to be honest--pleasantly pleased, but still puzzled.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #3,342 of 3,350
Just swapped out the LYR+ for the LYR 3, keeping everything else in the equipment chain exactly the same.
Seems like a more efficient/effective power delivery from the LYR 3, with both the HEDDphone One and the MM-500.
With the LYR+, High gain and about 12:00 on the volume dial for the MM-500 [18ohms/100dB]; with the LYR 3, Low gain and about 10:00 on the volume dial.
With the LYR+, High gain and about 2:15 on the volume dial for the HEDDphone One [42ohms/87dB; with the LYR 3, High gain and about 11:00 on the volume dial.
The LYR 3 seems to have a lot better grip on the drivers as well. Everything [on both headphones] sounds weightier, more spry, more expansive and more dynamic.
The LYR 3 also sounds more natural and with a more musical pulse with the aforementioned headphones.
. . . am a bit puzzled, to be honest--pleasantly pleased, but still puzzled..
Everything else included the same tube? IIRC, both put out the same-ish power, buy 3 has a slightly lower output impedance. I’d wonder a lot less about the why, and return to enjoying the music, which you're obviously doing! Great problem to have!

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #3,343 of 3,350
With the LYR+, High gain and about 12:00 on the volume dial for the MM-500 [18ohms/100dB]; with the LYR 3, Low gain and about 10:00 on the volume dial.
With the LYR+, High gain and about 2:15 on the volume dial for the HEDDphone One [42ohms/87dB]; with the LYR 3, High gain and about 11:00 on the volume dial.
The LYR 3 seems to have a lot better grip on the drivers as well. Everything [on both headphones] sounds weightier, more spry, more expansive and more dynamic.
The LYR 3 also sounds more natural and with a more musical pulse with the aforementioned headphones.
. . . am a bit puzzled, to be honest--pleasantly pleased, but still puzzled..
... Ponder this: Lyr 3 can operate in only one mode; Lyr 3+ can operate in one of two modes. It seems reasonable to think that optimising Lyr 3 would be easier, have fewer preconditions, than optimising Lyr 3+. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

Feb 8, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #3,344 of 3,350
Just updated my Lyr 3 with a VT231 Hytron 6SN7 and a Biftost 2/64. Loving it. Grado RS1X... volume knob stays around 8, maybe 9 o'clock :wink: MUCH better than the internal multibit card in the Lyr...
I just got a Lyr 3 using it with my RS2X. What a great little amp this is, even without considering how much it can be had for in the used market. Some NOS tubes coming soon so the fun's just getting started. Not as detailed and dynamic as my V281, and the lows are not as deep and fast, but that natural timbre and smoothness of sound is just a different experience. Perfect way to get into tubes after being a solid state guy for a long time.

Attachments

• 20240204_193801~3.jpg
    20240204_193801~3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 9, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #3,345 of 3,350
I just got a Lyr 3 using it with my RS2X. What a great little amp this is, even without considering how much it can be had for in the used market. Some NOS tubes coming soon so the fun's just getting started. Not as detailed and dynamic as my V281, and the lows are not as deep and fast, but that natural timbre and smoothness of sound is just a different experience. Perfect way to get into tubes after being a solid state guy for a long time.
I just received a ‘57 Foton from a good friend, and it’s the best thing I’ve heard in Lyr 3, but nothing (except maybe the JJ) sounds even just OK in this amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back