Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Mar 13, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #1,921 of 3,350
OK. Just got done with the K7xx cans and Lyr. On high gain, can’t go past 11, on low past about 2:30. Something is up on your end, I’m beginning to suspect the AKGs... can you test with another source, or use another set of cans? (Note that I’m giving you an excuse!)

I have a pair of in-ears that I could try out, but that would probably be apples and oranges compared to the K7xxs. I think that I’ve read enough here and based on your personal experience with the Lyr that it seems like a great choice for an upgrade for me. Thank you very much for your assistance and advice. I will report back once I have the Lyr and Loki hooked up and running.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #1,922 of 3,350
I have a pair of in-ears that I could try out, but that would probably be apples and oranges compared to the K7xxs. I think that I’ve read enough here and based on your personal experience with the Lyr that it seems like a great choice for an upgrade for me. Thank you very much for your assistance and advice. I will report back once I have the Lyr and Loki hooked up and running.
You are most welcome. Still scratching my head regarding your AKGs though.. do advise, please... If you get no joy from Lyr, hit up Massdrop for the Sennys or AKGs...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,924 of 3,350
Of course not. I mean come on - who would do that? :smirk:

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #1,925 of 3,350
I just though people should know that just because I bought a second tube (Tung Sol from Schiit) for my Lyr 3, it doesn't mean I'm starting down the a tube rolling rabbit hole.

No... Really!
Singin’ the same old song...

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #1,927 of 3,350
I just though people should know that just because I bought a second tube (Tung Sol from Schiit) for my Lyr 3, it doesn't mean I'm starting down the a tube rolling rabbit hole.

No... Really!

I’m on my fourth now..
(there’s still time to turn back! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

In order of appearance:
Russian (new) Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB
Russian (NOS) 6N8S (Lyr3 stock)
Westinghouse 6SN7GTB (O-getter)
Psvane UK-6SN7 HIFI series

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #1,928 of 3,350
I’m on my fourth now..
(there’s still time to turn back! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

In order of appearance:
Russian (new) Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB
Russian (NOS) 6N8S (Lyr3 stock)
Westinghouse 6SN7GTB (O-getter)
Psvane UK-6SN7 HIFI series
What do you think of the Psvane UK 6SN7? Inquiring minds and all...

Mar 16, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #1,929 of 3,350
What do you think of the Psvane UK 6SN7? Inquiring minds and all...

I'm not entirely sure yet, haven't had many hours on it and it might need to burn-in some more.
However; here goes, as a comparison with the Tung-Sol. I'm listening with the HD6XX.

The Tung-Sol feels a bit more euphonic, perhaps a tad more low bass, and slightly wider sound stage.

The UK on the other hand might have a bit more detail and layering/separation. Also, I get the sensation that the vocals is stronger with this one, and takes up more space, which would mean it's a bit more mid-forward?

The UK is nice, but the Tung-Sol has made me think "wow, this sounds gooood" more than the UK.
So far, I like the Tung-Sol more, which is nice in a way because it's half the price, but I had expected to like the UK better.

Aside: The parcel with the UK was marked "light bulb". heh.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #1,930 of 3,350
I'm not entirely sure yet, haven't had many hours on it and it might need to burn-in some more.
However; here goes, as a comparison with the Tung-Sol. I'm listening with the HD6XX.

The Tung-Sol feels a bit more euphonic, perhaps a tad more low bass, and slightly wider sound stage.

The UK on the other hand might have a bit more detail and layering/separation. Also, I get the sensation that the vocals is stronger with this one, and takes up more space, which would mean it's a bit more mid-forward?

The UK is nice, but the Tung-Sol has made me think "wow, this sounds gooood" more than the UK.
So far, I like the Tung-Sol more, which is nice in a way because it's half the price, but I had expected to like the UK better.

Aside: The parcel with the UK was marked "light bulb". heh.
Love that customs declaration!

I’ve got a couple of NOS Sylvanias (marked Baldwin) that I really love, but the Tung Sols are no slouch, either! Good to know, tyvm for the commentary on the PSvane. If your opinions change over time, I’d enjoy hearing.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #1,931 of 3,350
Anyone having issues with buzz/emi noise coming from the Lyr 3? I can't seem to figure out why i'm hearing this noticiable constant emi noise from the Lyr 3.

Currently my setup is Modi Multibit + Lyr 3 + Ether Flow.

I've tried all of the tubes, they all have EMI noises. I've tried changing the source to my Opus #1 and i'm still hearing EMI so it doesn't seem to be the source.(unless somehow my DAP is also the issue).

The only way I was able to get rid of the EMI is by using a ground loop isolator and feeding my Modi Multibit through it.

https://www.amazon.com/Isolator-BOS...oop+isolator&qid=1553318048&s=gateway&sr=8-10

The problem is it sounds muffled and not as good when using it through a ground loop isolator.

It's pretty annoying honestly... I've tried almost everything I could think of. Its the same problem with my crack speedball. My next plan is to see if I can get a optical out instead of using a USB with the Mimby but maybe tubes are just not possible for my setup :frowning2:

anyone got any advice? This emi noise is driving me crazy.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #1,932 of 3,350
Found one hint after trying everything. Turns out its partially due to my cables?

I've been using the mediabridge RCA cable and swapped them with the Amazon Basic cable. Somehow the EMI dropped by 50% but is still there if I turn the volume knob very high. Well at least it's not as bad anymore but still getting occasional static/constant emi noise but at a lower volume.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #1,933 of 3,350
You may want to reach out to Schiit support and possibly get an RMA for service. Another member here sent his Mimby in for a frimware update and when he got it back, Schiit had reworked a ground issue in addition to the firmware update. He did not send it in for a ground issue and when he inquired about it, they stated that when a unit comes in, they bring it up to current build parameters. Seems like they may have uncovered a potential ground issue and they are addressing when units come in for service. Worth a call.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #1,934 of 3,350
Anyone having issues with buzz/emi noise coming from the Lyr 3? I can't seem to figure out why i'm hearing this noticable constant emi noise from the Lyr 3.
Do you mean 1) a vibration from the Lyr 3 itself or 2) something you are hearing through your headphones?
  1. You might have a DC offset in your AC source, which requires some form of common-mode AC filter. Or your Lyr 3 might have a transformer issue, which Schiit would fix on warranty.
  2. The most common problem (which I have experienced) is close proximity between the RCA input cables and an AC power cable. I've addressed this problem totally with three changes:
    • High-quality shielded RCA cables (Blue Jeans LC-1)
    • Shielded AC cable (Shunyata Venom)
    • Improved physical placement of amp, source, and cables, including lifting RCA cables well above other cables

Mar 23, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,935 of 3,350
I have all my cables (RCA and AC and usb and other stuff) squeezed behind a sideboard and the wall, all packed together and no issue at all. Only thing rca cables, are SUPRA cables, the rest is the stuff you find in the box of other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back