Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Mar 25, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #1,939 of 3,350
My apologies. I thought the hum was related to the Mimby connected to Lyr 3 when I suggested reaching out for Mimby service. Seems you are getting all sorted out.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,940 of 3,350
@TsKen I also get some hum When I turn the volume to max, both on USB input (multibit card) with no cable connected and also on RCA input with no cables connected. This is on high gain.

It’s probably normal and I don’t worry about it. I’m nowhere near that volume level anyway, usually having it at about 9 o’clock.

Mar 25, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #1,941 of 3,350
Seems to be the outlet. The amount of noise differs depending on which outlet the Lyr 3 is plugged into.

I'm going to give the Emotiva CMX-2 a try, hopefully it'll fix the issue for both my crack speedball and the lyr 3.

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #1,942 of 3,350
Seems to be the outlet. The amount of noise differs depending on which outlet the Lyr 3 is plugged into.

I'm going to give the Emotiva CMX-2 a try, hopefully it'll fix the issue for both my crack speedball and the lyr 3.

Your comment on moving to a different apartment is key. Check the wall outlet first to see if it's wired correctly. Hot to hot, neutral to neutral, earth (safety) ground actually connected, wiring tight. If you're not comfortable messing with it, don't. You can get a cheap tester to see if it's wired correctly. If it's not, you can put a whole lot of effort into band-aiding the problem but still won't ever solve it. And if it is in fact wired incorrectly, I'd ask your apartment management to send someone in and fix it as it's technically a life safety hazard.

https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-Teste...r&qid=1553554783&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Mar 26, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,943 of 3,350
Your comment on moving to a different apartment is key. Check the wall outlet first to see if it's wired correctly. Hot to hot, neutral to neutral, earth (safety) ground actually connected, wiring tight. If you're not comfortable messing with it, don't. You can get a cheap tester to see if it's wired correctly. If it's not, you can put a whole lot of effort into band-aiding the problem but still won't ever solve it. And if it is in fact wired incorrectly, I'd ask your apartment management to send someone in and fix it as it's technically a life safety hazard.

https://www.amazon.com/Bastex-Teste...r&qid=1553554783&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Unfortunately my landlord is terrible and unless I force him under the law, he rarely takes care of his responsibilities. I'm moving out in a couple of months so i'm not even going to bother asking him....

I'm not sure if it matters but in my current apartment, they wired half of the house's outlets all under one switch in the electrical box. This was strange to me since in my previous apartment, every room was individually wired under a different switch from each other. I wonder if having several outlets all wired under one switch might have anything to do with it.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I have the Emotiva CMX-2 coming in a few days, hopefully it'll help fix the issue.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #1,946 of 3,350
I'm not sure if it matters but in my current apartment, they wired half of the house's outlets all under one switch in the electrical box. This was strange to me since in my previous apartment, every room was individually wired under a different switch from each other. I wonder if having several outlets all wired under one switch might have anything to do with it.
The general rule of electrical wiring is that if it looks iffy, it is iffier than it seems :astonished:: bad grounding, switched live and neutral, current leakages, ... If the electrician could not comply with code, no way I'd trust them with anything. When I moved to my current home and we were redoing the AV setup, we found a lot of off-code wiring in the previous AV setup which I had ripped out thoroughly, even though it cost more than piggyback on some of it.

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #1,947 of 3,350

Yes, buy a $7500 regenerator for your $499 amp!

When it comes to power, I say: go big, or go home!! :wink:

powerplant.jpg

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #1,949 of 3,350
Mar 30, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #1,950 of 3,350
I just ordered a Lyr 3. I heard this at CanJam. I liked the Mjolnir 2 more, but I'm new to tubes and wanted to try the smaller form factor first.

Should I get a socket saver for this amp? I went with the Tung Sol as I believe that was the tube in place at CanJam and I really liked the sound with the HD800 they had at the booth.

Any recommendations for a tube with emphasized mid-bass and less intense treble? I'm looking to warm up the Ether Cx / AFC a bit for use listening to peaky metal music.

Also, is there anything special I need to do related to plugging / unplugging headphones with amp on? I've read some reports of this amp nuking headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back