Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #1,906 of 3,350
Any chance someone around you has a set of K7anythings you could borrow? These cans aren’t (shouldn’t be) hard to drive... But I DO love my Lyr 3 as well...

I do not know anyone that has a pair of K7-anythings, unfortunately. From what I’ve read here on the forums and a few other places, it does seem like the K7xxs can be hard to find the right amp to use with them. Maybe I should be using that type of wording rather than that they are hard to drive.

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #1,907 of 3,350
I do not know anyone that has a pair of K7-anythings, unfortunately. From what I’ve read here on the forums and a few other places, it does seem like the K7xxs can be hard to find the right amp to use with them. Maybe I should be using that type of wording rather than that they are hard to drive.
Tonight I’ll grab my K7xxs and hook them to both vali 2 and lyr 3 and report back - this bugs me. And it’ll be fun. parkersburg, eh? Went to college in SW VA, hung out with friends in White Sulphur Springs, Charleston and Moundsville. I’ll have a go here in a bit...

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #1,908 of 3,350
Tonight I’ll grab my K7xxs and hook them to both vali 2 and lyr 3 and report back - this bugs me. And it’ll be fun. parkersburg, eh? Went to college in SW VA, hung out with friends in White Sulphur Springs, Charleston and Moundsville. I’ll have a go here in a bit...

Sounds good. Parkersburg is a little over an hour’s drive from Charleston. We are right on the border across from Ohio.

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #1,909 of 3,350
Sounds good. Parkersburg is a little over an hour’s drive from Charleston. We are right on the border across from Ohio.
Yeah, been through there on the way to and from VMI, but never stopped...

OK, i'm on the Vali 2 now, doin' the same thing you do - wife's in bed (kid's in Switzerland on her study abroad, so no need to worry about waking her <G>), and I've got the K7xxs on, love that sound signature, and the darn things are some of the most comfortable cans I own. I CANNOT go all the way to max volume on low gain with these - listening to the 50th anniversary edition of The Beatles (the white album), and on High Gain, I cannot get to 0000 (12) on the dial without blowing my ears. And that's playing O-bla-di... Flipped to back in the ussr and 10 o'clock is my "just a bit too loud" on low gain for this song.

The chain for this first test is: Squeezebox server to Raspberry Pi squeezebox player, S/PDIF coax to Mimby, then Vali 2, then AKGs. Gonna switch source to my computer and iTunes into Mimby via USB. Will check same songs, please hold. OK, realised that I only had the 2009 remaster of this album ripped into iTunes (and the 50th anniversary remaster is showing how much better it is, OMG). But volume is the same on Back in the USSR -- too loud and harsh now at 10... Headed for O-Bla-Di... Same as before, more than plenty loud, though it's a softer song, so I can get to about 12 when it's louder than comfy, but my ears aren't bleeding.

Will head downstairs in the morning (actually later today, since it's 0031), since vali 2 is my desk rig and Lyr 3 is downstairs. Right now, I'm a bit dead. ttyt.

John

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #1,911 of 3,350
Has anyone here stacked Lyr3 and Saga?
I am thinking of getting a Saga (not to be used together with Lyr3), and due to desk space constraints I would love to be able to stack is below (or above) my Lyr3...
Does anyone have a bright idea, or better yet - done it and can post a photo?

I wish Schiit offered a solid state version of Saga. In a case like Bimby or Jot... That would have been the perfect solution for my needs!

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #1,912 of 3,350
OK. Just got done with the K7xx cans and Lyr. On high gain, can’t go past 11, on low past about 2:30. Something is up on your end, I’m beginning to suspect the AKGs... can you test with another source, or use another set of cans? (Note that I’m giving you an excuse!)

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,913 of 3,350
Has anyone here stacked Lyr3 and Saga?
I am thinking of getting a Saga (not to be used together with Lyr3), and due to desk space constraints I would love to be able to stack is below (or above) my Lyr3...
Does anyone have a bright idea, or better yet - done it and can post a photo?

I wish Schiit offered a solid state version of Saga. In a case like Bimby or Jot... That would have been the perfect solution for my needs!
Well, that would obv be difficult, but i do have Bifrost and Lyr side-by-side, and Saga (which I DO use w/Lyr, among other things) is on Bifrost.

With that said, I’m currently looking into those glass monitor shelves to see if I can get something nice that will give me enough clearance to change a tube. If I can find something I like, I’ll report bk.

Before you go crazy, I listen from about 10 feet away, and I’m lazy enough to want the Saga’s remote for volume. And go ahead and splurge for the Aluminium remote, it’s beautiful, and it’s got some heft to it...

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,914 of 3,350
Well, that would obv be difficult, but i do have Bifrost and Lyr side-by-side, and Saga (which I DO use w/Lyr, among other things) is on Bifrost.

With that said, I’m currently looking into those glass monitor shelves to see if I can get something nice that will give me enough clearance to change a tube. If I can find something I like, I’ll report bk.

Before you go crazy, I listen from about 10 feet away, and I’m lazy enough to want the Saga’s remote for volume. And go ahead and splurge for the Aluminium remote, it’s beautiful, and it’s got some heft to it...
Well, I am not ruling out using the Saga with the Lyr3 if I have it anyhow.
I was looking at monitor glass shelves as well, but most are way too wide... Will consider rearranging my desk and maybe utilize the extra width of the glass shelf for other components re-arrange. Likewise will report back if I find a good solution.

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #1,915 of 3,350
I cloud but I'm in Italy.
Grazie! Hai bisogno di una vacanza?

(Practicing: Hopefully I asked if he needed a holiday...)

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #1,916 of 3,350
Well, I am not ruling out using the Saga with the Lyr3 if I have it anyhow.
I was looking at monitor glass shelves as well, but most are way too wide... Will consider rearranging my desk and maybe utilize the extra width of the glass shelf for other components re-arrange. Likewise will report back if I find a good solution.
OK, I found two options, both are 6" wider than the Lyr/Saga, but that gives either 3" on a side, or let's call it 5" and a bit on one side for a post-it dispenser, or a pen holder, so I THINK i might go for that. There are actually several options for those, and they come in a 2-pack, which might well be handy, too. On amazon, item ID is: B07DGPBHKH - and there are colors and an option for a corner placement. Still hunting.

Check this option out on amazon: B01HQPJ0SO 10x10x5 plexi...

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,918 of 3,350
Yes that's for shure! Where are you from? Italy too?
Thanks, but I'm near Los Angeles! (Actually nearer Schiit HQ than LA itself...)

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,920 of 3,350
Check this option out on amazon: B01HQPJ0SO 10x10x5 plexi...
If only this one were glass (with metal feet)... Size is perfect but I doubt it would be steady enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back