Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Oct 27, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #1,531 of 3,350
I hate to tell you this, but the sonic profile can change with tube selection. You'd be surprised at the difference a Sylvania 2 or 3-hole Bad Boy will make. It will pack a punch!! :wink:

(Be sure to checkout the 'Lyr 3 Tube Rolling' thread, if you have $$ to burn.) :D

The Sylvania Bad boys totally suck. Do not buy them. If you already have, do not listen to them. Send directly to me for proper, err disposal. I will sacrifice my ears so you don’t have to. Stay away from the Ken-Rad black glass tubes as well. No good can come from them.

Ignore my helpful and well meaning advice only if you want to spend a lot of money (like that crazy nut Ripper).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,532 of 3,350
The Sylvania Bad boys totally suck. Do not buy them. If you already have, do not listen to them. Send directly to me for proper, err disposal. I will sacrifice my ears so you don’t have to. Stay away from the Ken-Rad black glass tubes as well. No good can come from them.

Ignore my helpful and well meaning advice only if you want to spend a lot of money (like that crazy nut Ripper).
If I was not tight on money I would not have sold my Ken-rad vt231 black glass or be selling any of my other tubes. Lol

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #1,533 of 3,350
The Lyr 3 got here about an hour ago. So far I'm using the K7XX and they have never sounded like this.
I was actually using mine the other day with the solid state Lyr 3 (LISST) - really enjoyable, truth be told...

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,534 of 3,350
Well a sad day has come. Looks like I am having to put up my Lyr 3 multibit with all my tubes and my lcd2c up for sale. Crap just keeps coming up in my life right now. I love these and when I get back on my feet I will purchase them again.

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,535 of 3,350
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope all get sorted out quickly and you bounce back better than ever.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #1,536 of 3,350
Well this is a bummer. My Lyr 3 was about 10 seconds into warming up when it went pop and let the magic smoke out. It sounded fantastic while it lasted. Needless to say I’m not enjoying the distinctive smell of fried electronics.

Nov 11, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #1,538 of 3,350
Well this is a bummer. My Lyr 3 was about 10 seconds into warming up when it went pop and let the magic smoke out. It sounded fantastic while it lasted. Needless to say I’m not enjoying the distinctive smell of fried electronics.

Sorry to hear that -- same happened to me. Got an RMA and shipped Lyr 3 back for service and got it back good as new in about 2 weeks. Pressed my Magni 3 into service while Lyr 3 was off in California and while I love my Magni 3, I did not enjoy it nearly as much as Lyr 3. Couldn't wait to get it back!! No problems at all since I got it back.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #1,539 of 3,350
Sorry to hear that -- same happened to me. Got an RMA and shipped Lyr 3 back for service and got it back good as new in about 2 weeks. Pressed my Magni 3 into service while Lyr 3 was off in California and while I love my Magni 3, I did not enjoy it nearly as much as Lyr 3. Couldn't wait to get it back!! No problems at all since I got it back.

I’ll probably do the same and pull the Magni back from work, but I’m considering my options. The Magni and AFO don’t seem to work together as well and I’m really going to miss the Lyr. I’m debating whether I should grab another solid state for variety.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #1,540 of 3,350
I’m debating whether I should grab another solid state for variety.

A dead amp sucks, but it can be fixed. No reason to go off the deep end. That's like cutting off your arm because you pulled a muscle. :relaxed:

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #1,541 of 3,350
In my audio experience having back-ups for a "Plan B" is always a good idea. I always have at least one tube and one SS amp at the ready.

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #1,542 of 3,350
In my audio experience having back-ups for a "Plan B" is always a good idea. I always have at least one tube and one SS amp at the ready.
I am right there with ya! My Jot and Lyr 3 are always ready to rock and take the lead role. I enjoy this hobby to much, to be down.

Nov 11, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #1,543 of 3,350
I am right there with ya! My Jot and Lyr 3 are always ready to rock and take the lead role. I enjoy this hobby to much, to be down.

And those two pieces are an excellent pairing to meet all audio....emergencies!

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,544 of 3,350
Normally I’d think Jot or Asgard. I’m just a little distrustful of Schiit reliability at the moment. I thought about picking up a Cavelli Liquid platinum, but that would mean two tube amps. Not necessarily a bad thing, but isn’t cheap. Right now I’m using a FIIO Q5. It’s no desktop DAC / Amp but it does a decent job on clarity and detail. Perhaps I just need to see what’s on the for sale forum and try something new.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,545 of 3,350
I understand your reservations, but if Schiit gear had a serious QC issue, I think it would be all over Head-fi and the web. In my case it was a faulty resistor that took our a servo control -- not an engineering issue. I only know of 4 folks that have posted on HF about an issue with a Lyr 3 failure and that's with myself and you included.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back