Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jul 1, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #889 of 1,409
w/ IE800S + balanced + PCM, W4 (w/ or w/o its SDF) is not better than RU6 + IE800S + balanced/single ended + PCM/DSD. The bass is overwhelming me. That said, the experience w/ IE800S is not worth the price W4 asks

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #892 of 1,409
I was going to try the compatibility of 3rd party cables for iPhone. I used one from hidizs. It did not work before and still not work now. The display was blinking & corrupted. But now, swapping to the orig LP cable, it does not work either w/ same behavior. So, now I cannot use W4 on iPhone since neither orig cable nor 3rd party one work anymore! Anybody confirm this?

Jul 2, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #893 of 1,409
Yesterday I tried to connect the W4 to my old LG V20 but UAPP doesn't recognize it as a dac and android asks me how I want to use it with all those choices... I put midi but nothing happens. USB debugging is enabled... maybe I need to change some setting in UAPP... but I don't understand which one. The other dongles connect without problems, while the W4 instead of turning on writes me 000, what do you think it means? Thank you.

Jul 2, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #894 of 1,409
Thanks to @giuca70 I discovered that the problem was the cable... the Lindy Black Line from mobile doesn't work with the W4 while from pc it does. With the Shanling L3 cable no problem it turns on and works without any 000 writing. Of course this W4 is very demanding on cables ... besides the fact that in my opinion the Lindy is much superior to the Shanling L3 ... we will see in a while how does it deal with the L&P WP1 and WP2 that are on the way.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #895 of 1,409
I was going to try the compatibility of 3rd party cables for iPhone. I used one from hidizs. It did not work before and still not work now. The display was blinking & corrupted. But now, swapping to the orig LP cable, it does not work either w/ same behavior. So, now I cannot use W4 on iPhone since neither orig cable nor 3rd party one work anymore! Anybody confirm this?

Can you still use your W4 with Android phone or Windows or MacBook? Just as a sanity check to make sure W4 is still ok. Also, please try other dongles with your L&P lightning cable, to make sure those are working and you didn't damage the cable itself.

I swapped almost a dozen of different lighting otg cables I have access to. Found only the stock W4 cable (and W2 white cable) to work with that dongle. Never had an issue going back after the swap.

Jul 2, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #896 of 1,409
I know it’s probably different with the W4EX, but my LT02 Hidizs usb c to lightning cables work fine with it connected to my my iphone 14

Jul 2, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #897 of 1,409
It is probably because those Lindy cable are meant purely for PC use so the Type C connectors are not configured for OTG function for Android, which required a few resistors internally over some pins. Build quality will have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #898 of 1,409
It is probably because those Lindy cable are meant purely for PC use so the Type C connectors are not configured for OTG function for Android, which required a few resistors internally over some pins. Build quality will have nothing to do with it.
Yes, but the strangest thing is that the same Lindy works with the V50 and doesn't work with the V20... same configuration and same W4... the mysteries of technology... lol

Jul 2, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #899 of 1,409
I know it’s probably different with the W4EX, but my LT02 Hidizs usb c to lightning cables work fine with it connected to my my iphone 14

Correct, no issues with any lightning OTG cable and W4EX, only W4. I thought someone mentioned before about W4 having a higher inrush current during start-up. If that is true (which makes perfect sense), maybe L&P customized their own lightning cable to limit inrush current, like adding a thermistor resistor. Just speculating. Someone also mentioned they got it to work with one specific FiiO lightning otg cable.

Jul 2, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #900 of 1,409
Can you still use your W4 with Android phone or Windows or MacBook? Just as a sanity check to make sure W4 is still ok. Also, please try other dongles with your L&P lightning cable, to make sure those are working and you didn't damage the cable itself.

I swapped almost a dozen of different lighting otg cables I have access to. Found only the stock W4 cable (and W2 white cable) to work with that dongle. Never had an issue going back after the swap.
Thank you for the idea to try other dongles w/ LP L2C. I found that using it, my M15, RU6, & RU7 turned on & iPhone recognized them.. but there is no sound at all. No distortion, nothing. Iphone could playback any song, indicated by the progress bar & the timer, & those dongles showed indicator of/displayed the sample rate of the song correctly but just dead silent. So this may be a sign of broken cable. I wish I had another working cable to make sure..

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back