Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jun 30, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #871 of 1,433
Polky was recommending buying a cheap Teclast Brand Laptop from Amazon. On the link/page there is a coupon to drop the price from $295 to USD$200. As a cheap alternative to an Apple device for doing updates that Apple devices don't support; And you can use it for other PC uses...

THe coupon was not for a W4, if that's what you were thinking.
it was - shame

Jul 1, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #872 of 1,433
Actually you can get a mini PC from AliExpress for less than US$100. It won't be a particularly great PC, but more than enough for the occasional PC stuff such as updating the W4 and as a general emergency backup for your main system. They can also be used as basic retro gaming rig if wanted. Most of you will spend more for a pair of decent IEM these days and a mini PC, unlike a tablet, has no battery to worry about in the long run.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #873 of 1,433
what voucher
20230701_104208.jpg

Apply $95 coupon...

Jul 1, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #875 of 1,433
Sorry I didn't see that they had already answered above...

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #876 of 1,433
If you have the headphones connected to W4 and have them on your head when using laptop or phone do you get a pop noise?
I don't know what you're referring to with "pop noise" but the thing I noticed with the W4 is that despite having set the exclusive use of the application in the drivers and in Foobar2000 (wasapi - shared), it still makes me hear the noises of other applications (youtube. .. etc... etc...). This doesn't happen with asio in Foobar2000. In fact, in Foobar2000 the wasapi drivers make me choose them only in the shared version and I didn't understand how they can be set in exclusive mode. With the Asio instead it conveys all the audio stream of Foobar2000 in the dongle, cutting out all the other windows sounds.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #881 of 1,433
Is it worth to upgarde from Questyle M15 and DC04 Pro (I have both of them) to L&P W4?
If I were you I would think about the RU7 before buying another delta-sigma

Jul 1, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #883 of 1,433
Thanks but I had RU6 before and it sounds bad for me compared to other R2R stuff that I tried (like Hiby RS6 or Hifiman EF-400). Dunno if they make any progress with RU7…
I start by saying that the RU7 is very different from the RU6... but the question I have in mind is... with which IEMs/headphones did you listen to the RU6? It seems strange to me not to appreciate the RU6 (everyone has their own tastes anyway) but I think maybe there was a synergy problem... the RU6 prefers very neutral iems/headphones and not pumped up on bass or other frequencies. Let's say that it prefers almost boring IEMs/headphones... in fact it has an incredible synergy with the Blessing 2/3 and with all the very analytical IEMs/headphones.

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #884 of 1,433
Has anyone observed difference in SQ between Low and High gain?
I am using fairly hard to drive ThieAudio Monarch MK2 and seems like in High gain mode they "open up", bass gains more authority and thump, soundstage increases, and they sound more "effortless" in general.
Same thing was with W2, not sure if this is a real thing though, and not just combination of slightly different volume and expectation bias. Whatever it is after switch I've found them easily on par with BTR7 for dynamics, soundstage and bass, while being more detailed with bettter sound layering.

Jul 1, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #885 of 1,433
Has anyone observed difference in SQ between Low and High gain?
I am using fairly hard to drive ThieAudio Monarch MK2 and seems like in High gain mode they "open up", bass gains more authority and thump, soundstage increases, and they sound more "effortless" in general.
Same thing was with W2, not sure if this is a real thing though, and not just combination of slightly different volume and expectation bias. Whatever it is after switch I've found them easily on par with BTR7 for dynamics, soundstage and bass, while being more detailed with bettter sound layering.
I'm looking forward to testing this out for myself in the coming weeks, but I'm not surprised (and happy to hear!) that you notice a difference between gain settings with an IEM like Monarch Mk2. This has generally been my experience with DD/planar transducers when increasing Gain on a well-implemented amp. More available current allows those kinds of drivers to move more, which translates into the kind of changes to dynamics and therefore stage perception that you're reporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back