Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jul 2, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #901 of 1,433
Yes, but the strangest thing is that the same Lindy works with the V50 and doesn't work with the V20... same configuration and same W4... the mysteries of technology... lol
I assumed they are running on different version of Android? I dislike Apple's MFi program in general, but one thing they do get it right is compatibility. If something is MFi certified, you can almost certain it will work on almost all generation of Apple iDevices. Android on the other hand changed a lot from generation to generation and from manufacturer to manufacturer, though it also gives Android devices more freedom to implement new / unique features. For example, Samsung is known to be pretty lacking on its LDAC implementation by always forcing it to 660kbps on default while Sony has excellent LDAC implementation (though you do expect Sony to do it right since it is their invention). Asus on the other hand didn't even bother to implement LDAC on their Android smartphones until last few years even though LDAC has been free / open-sourced to implement for over a decade now (which means Asus purposely omitted LDAC for no good reason). OTG implementation is all over the place as well.

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #902 of 1,433
I assumed they are running on different version of Android? I dislike Apple's MFi program in general, but one thing they do get it right is compatibility. If something is MFi certified, you can almost certain it will work on almost all generation of Apple iDevices. Android on the other hand changed a lot from generation to generation and from manufacturer to manufacturer, though it also gives Android devices more freedom to implement new / unique features. For example, Samsung is known to be pretty lacking on its LDAC implementation by always forcing it to 660kbps on default while Sony has excellent LDAC implementation (though you do expect Sony to do it right since it is their invention). Asus on the other hand didn't even bother to implement LDAC on their Android smartphones until last few years even though LDAC has been free / open-sourced to implement for over a decade now (which means Asus purposely omitted LDAC for no good reason). OTG implementation is all over the place as well.
Are you implying that LP made somekind of nonstandardized implementation of MFi to their cables in order to be compatible w/ idevices and avoid paying Apple for the MFi certification at the same time?

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #903 of 1,433
Are you implying that LP made somekind of nonstandardized implementation of MFi to their cables in order to be compatible w/ idevices and avoid paying Apple for the MFi certification at the same time?

Not 'implying'. Last I checked, L&P, as with most USB dongle manufacturers that I know of, never claims to be MFi certified in the first place. Noted that claiming 'iOS Compatible' and MFi Certification are not the same thing. The former is just namely a statement from the manufacturer while the latter required paying a license fee and having the product itself tested by Apple.

By the way, the authentication chip(s) Apple used for MFi has been cracked / cloned / reverse-engineered a long time ago, so non-standardized (or p[perhaps the better words is non-officially-MFied) implementation is the norm these days.

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #904 of 1,433
Thanks to @giuca70 I discovered that the problem was the cable... the Lindy Black Line from mobile doesn't work with the W4 while from pc it does. With the Shanling L3 cable no problem it turns on and works without any 000 writing. Of course this W4 is very demanding on cables ... besides the fact that in my opinion the Lindy is much superior to the Shanling L3 ... we will see in a while how does it deal with the L&P WP1 and WP2 that are on the way.
The problem is with all those fancy "audiophile" USB cables, I use W4 and W2 with generic off the shelf certified USB cables and never had any issues on Android or Windows.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #905 of 1,433
Damn!!! I don't know why I didn't test W4_V1.0.1.6_AS.bin right away. Just confirmed, L&P did fix the problem of flickering screen during startup of W4 when connected to iPhone. Just tested W4 with @ddHiFi MFi07S and W4, and everything works. Woo-hoo!

1688353381347.png

Jul 3, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #906 of 1,433
Damn!!! I don't know why I didn't test W4_V1.0.1.6_AS.bin right away. Just confirmed, L&P did fix the problem of flickering screen during startup of W4 when connected to iPhone. Just tested W4 with @ddHiFi MFi07S and W4, and everything works. Woo-hoo!

1688353381347.png
Do you get a loud pop noise when connecting your headphones to W4?

Jul 4, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #907 of 1,433
WP1-WP2.jpg

Let's hope that the W4 likes the little brothers...

Jul 4, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #908 of 1,433
WP.jpg

W1 with WP1+
W4 with WP2

By now WP1+ and WP2 are practically indistinguishable...

Jul 9, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #909 of 1,433
I’m back with another comparison that nobody asked for!

I finally broke down and bought the Mojo2 and compared it to the W4. I had to do it because I felt like the W4 was clearly ahead of the OG Mojo. I’m comparing them using A8000, IER-Z1R, Tidal, and Apple Music. Mojo2 is in default settings and the W4 is set to Normal, LL Fast, Tone 2. Both connected to my MacBook via USB.

To my ears, it’s a lot closer than it probably should be but the Mojo2 is (just barely) the superior sounding product. I’m thinking something like a 5-7% difference between the two.

Mojo2 has the advantage in overall detail retrieval and tonal balance. Highs and mids sound more resolving on the Mojo2 but subass extension is better on the W4.

Layering and separation also appears to be a little better on the Mojo2. Imaging and staging is a little too close to call for me.

Two great products so I plan to keep them both. Depending on sonic preferences, I could see people going either way. If the W4 had customizable tone controls, it would really be cooking with grease!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #910 of 1,433

I finally broke down and bought the Mojo2 and compared it to the W4. I had to do it because I felt like the W4 was clearly ahead of the OG Mojo. I’m comparing them using A8000, IER-Z1R, Tidal, and Apple Music. Mojo2 is in default settings and the W4 is set to Normal, LL Fast, Tone 2.

To my ears, it’s a lot closer than it probably should be but the Mojo2 is (just barely) the superior sounding product. I’m thinking something like a 5-7% difference between the two.

Mojo2 has the advantage in overall detail retrieval and tonal balance. Highs and mids sound more resolving on the Mojo2 but subass extension is better on the W4.

Layering and separation also appears to be a little better on the Mojo2. Imaging and staging is a little too close to call for me.

Two great products so I plan to keep them both. Depending on sonic preferences, I could see people going either way. If the W4 had customizable tone controls, it would really be cooking with grease!
The tone controls of Mojo 2 are a massive benefit. Shame the W4 doesn't have this.

Jul 9, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #911 of 1,433

I finally broke down and bought the Mojo2 and compared it to the W4. I had to do it because I felt like the W4 was clearly ahead of the OG Mojo. I’m comparing them using A8000, IER-Z1R, Tidal, and Apple Music. Mojo2 is in default settings and the W4 is set to Normal, LL Fast, Tone 2.

I was wondering about mojo2vsW4. May I ask you to compare either solo against W4 via spdif to Mojo2? Even if it complicates my mobile chain a little bit further, I wonder what effects it would have since the Mojo prefers to be played via coax/spdif.

Jul 9, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #912 of 1,433
I was wondering about mojo2vsW4. May I ask you to compare either solo against W4 via spdif to Mojo2? Even if it complicates my mobile chain a little bit further, I wonder what effects it would have since the Mojo prefers to be played via coax/spdif.
Yeah, I’ve also heard the Mojo2 (and OG) is better via coax and spdif. However, I don’t currently have the cables to conduct that test. I’ve actually been on the hunt for a nice mini coax cable so I can connect the MacBook >> W4 >> Mojo2.

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #914 of 1,433
Yeah, I’ve also heard the Mojo2 (and OG) is better via coax and spdif. However, I don’t currently have the cables to conduct that test. I’ve actually been on the hunt for a nice mini coax cable so I can connect the MacBook >> W4 >> Mojo2.
Mojo 2 USB implementation is pretty junky.

Jul 9, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #915 of 1,433

Do not own the W4 but spdif from w2 to Mojo2 is pretty good, better in every aspect, especially on the transparent level between notes

Attachments

• PXL_20230629_115406643_Original.jpeg
    PXL_20230629_115406643_Original.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back