Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jun 23, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #752 of 1,448
I've just ordered a W4EX from Hifonix, it should arrive Monday. I was tempted to buy the full-fat W4 but I couldn't really justify another £100 when the dongle is already expensive in comparison to the competition. On the plus side, it should pair quite well with my blue iPhone 14 and my Penon 10 AE's using ISN H2 blue cable.

I was close to pulling the trigger on buying a DAP but I don't particularly want to carry around a second (heavier) device.

The reason I landed on the W4EX is due to the alleged low power consumption. I'm realistic and expect some consumption, but I don't want my battery being absolutely ravaged like some dongles have done. I've also had issues with volume control with other dongles that don't have an independent volume control - as the iPhone can go from very quiet to overly loud with one button press with certain dongles. A volume knob is also nicer and more enjoyable to use than buttons - like many other similar dongles have.

I did consider the Cayin RU7, and saw a couple of people mention in that thread that it pairs really well with the Penon 10 AE. However it seems the RU7 is unlikely to play nice with my iPhone lightning port and also appears that its very power hungry too. I was also a slightly reluctant to purchase a dongle that doesn't come supplied with a lightning to USB-C OTG cable.

Jun 23, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #753 of 1,448
The reason I landed on the W4EX is due to the alleged low power consumption. I'm realistic and expect some consumption, but I don't want my battery being absolutely ravaged like some dongles have done. I've also had issues with volume control with other dongles that don't have an independent volume control - as the iPhone can go from very quiet to overly loud with one button press with certain dongles. A volume knob is also nicer and more enjoyable to use than buttons - like many other similar dongles have.

I use the W4-EX with the iPhone 13 PRO MAX, and it is significantly more energy efficient than all the other batteryless dongles I own.
And, yes, the volume knob is really a very comfortable plus that is worth the money.

Jun 23, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #754 of 1,448
Any chance you can offer a comparison between S2 and W4 please?
I have not purchased the W4 yet (and may not). I’m still very pleased with the W2 and the S2 and actually use the Mojo 2 the most these days. So, I think I’ll sit back and just read the thread and see what comes next.

Cheers,
Gus

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #761 of 1,448
My W4EX arrived yesterday. Build quality is very nice. I love the feel and click-ness of volume knob/ menu dial. It’s also very efficient compared to my other dongles and doesn’t zap too much from my battery. Also it barely gets warm - even after extensive usage.

Sounds really nice too. Not sure if it’s that much better than my other dongles to warrant the price but I’m very happy with it. I was close to pulling the trigger on a DAP, so I guess you’ll say I’ve saved money! Although I’m sure the temptation to purchase one will come again in a few months time.

It does also have a plethora of filters, eq presets - although even after spending time reading about it

I still don’t really understand the different between a fast/sharp filter and a slow filter. Or linear compared to a low latency/minimum phase filter.

However after having spent some time changing up the tune setting, filters and eq, I tend to find the default setup of tune 2/fast roll off filter and normal eq as my preferred preference.

As someone said above, it does appear to be displaying the incorrect bit rate with iOS too, as it’s displaying 32bit not 24bit.

Although the tones of the blues don’t exactly match, I’m still happy my portable set up is kind of cohesive and looks pretty good.

IMG_4833.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back