Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
May 22, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #436 of 1,430
Can u make comparsion Questyle M15 and W4? Is it big leap from M15 in term of technical ? as i also own M15 and perhaps , interested in W4 .
I really want to hold off on making too detailed of a comparison until I'm sure the software is working properly. With it showing 32-bit from all sources (also including the Qobuz app), I really think something is wrong with mine after the firmware update. It didn't have that issue before. Generally, I think the M15 sounds equally defined with a slightly better bass response, but I'm not confident that the device is working properly, so I don't think it's fair to give it a real comparison until it's sorted out.

May 22, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #437 of 1,430
I really want to hold off on making too detailed of a comparison until I'm sure the software is working properly. With it showing 32-bit from all sources (also including the Qobuz app), I really think something is wrong with mine after the firmware update. It didn't have that issue before. Generally, I think the M15 sounds equally defined with a slightly better bass response, but I'm not confident that the device is working properly, so I don't think it's fair to give it a real comparison until it's sorted out.
Yes please 😁😁 if it just side grade. No need for me to spend like usd 500 for another dongle.

May 22, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #438 of 1,430
Some dongles pad any bits less than 32 with 0s which has no effect on the sound and makes the design and processing simpler. So they report 32 bits regardless of the encoding. Could that be what is happening here?

May 22, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #439 of 1,430
Like @jsmiller58 said, the 32bit display is for simplicity's sake. It is pretty much the same on W2 series as well.

If you find M15 to be equally good for your gear, then keep the M15, but do give it a few days before finalizing the decision. Sometimes it is the user that can't tell the difference, sometimes it could be an issue of synergy, sometimes it could be as simply as mood or music selection. it is not necessary that you'll reach the same conclusion as everyone else but at the end it is what makes you happy that matters most.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #440 of 1,430
Like @jsmiller58 said, the 32bit display is for simplicity's sake. It is pretty much the same on W2 series as well.

If you find M15 to be equally good for your gear, then keep the M15, but do give it a few days before finalizing the decision. Sometimes it is the user that can't tell the difference, sometimes it could be an issue of synergy, sometimes it could be as simply as mood or music selection. it is not necessary that you'll reach the same conclusion as everyone else but at the end it is what makes you happy that matters most.
Looking forward to read your impressions between RU7 when you will get it and W4.
This field has really advanced in the last couple of years. Amazing.

May 23, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #441 of 1,430
Generally, I think the M15 sounds equally defined with a slightly better bass response
Had a very similar impression (see my write up some posts before this - though I must be fair to say that I "only" compared the two in a headphone store and my impression might be different in another surrounding and with more time)!

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #442 of 1,430
I am selling my nearly brand new W4 + leather case that I received from Musicteck last week (will post to classifieds later). I like it, but I have too many dongles and might be more of a DAP person. PM me if you are interested.

May 23, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #443 of 1,430
I am selling my nearly brand new W4 + leather case that I received from Musicteck last week (will post to classifieds later). I like it, but I have too many dongles and might be more of a DAP person. PM me if you are interested.
Wow, that was really quick. I rather let my W2 go, the W4 is definitely a keeper. Best wishes.

May 23, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #444 of 1,430
Some dongles pad any bits less than 32 with 0s which has no effect on the sound and makes the design and processing simpler. So they report 32 bits regardless of the encoding. Could that be what is happening here?
Not sure. It wasn’t doing that before the FW update (was showing accurate 16 or 24), so I’m more suspicious of a bug. I’m even more concerned for a bug / issue because it played DSD when I got it (albeit with some slight artifacts), and that also broke completely when I updated the firmware. I’ve never had an issue with any of my DACs (Pro-Ject, Topping, Questyle, Shanling, iFi) decoding DSD through Roon, so I really think this is an odd bug and a bad one. Obviously it won’t be worth such an expensive dongle with a loss of functionality, when I was pretty happy with the Q15. Just going for that little bit extra sound quality, like we do in this hobby. I’m not totally convinced it’s better at all, but I don’t think it’s fair to judge it if I’m not sure it’s working due to software, or perhaps I just got a faulty sample.

I also re-downloaded the installer and firmware and re-flashed it, but no change. I’ll plan to wait a few days to see if there is an update that will fix the issue, but I will plan to RMA if I can’t play DSD through Roon on this $450 dongle the way I do on my others.

I am curious because headphones are my secondary hobby - I mostly listen to my loudspeakers and consequently spend more time on those sites. Do a lot of people here use Roon, or is it actually uncommon in the more headphone-focused community?

May 23, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #445 of 1,430
Had a very similar impression (see my write up some posts before this - though I must be fair to say that I "only" compared the two in a headphone store and my impression might be different in another surrounding and with more time)!
I’ve owned the M15 for a few months and I generally like it a lot. I feel pretty familiar with the sound. I was hoping to go for the T1 tuning mode on the W4 because if there is one flaw in my opinion with the M15, I find it a tiny bit sibilant, which is definitely an issue with my ie600 IEMs, and I was thinking I might get better synergy with this dongle. The M15 seems better to me in that regard than others I’ve tried like the UA3 and the Dragonfly Cobalt (though that one just has a lot of issues all around with clarity I think compared to these others). I actually wonder if the M15 might enhance bass slightly to put a little topspin on the sound and make it sound more attractive in comparisons. Either way, it’s an awesome dongle. It also seems to have an issue when connected to a phone that it can pick up very clearly audible cellular interference in the signal, maybe because it’s not in a totally shielded housing with its clear side panel - I was also hoping to get away from that issue by moving to W4, but it’s not worth sacrificing DSD…

May 23, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #446 of 1,430
Just an update on the previously promised power draw / output measurement - I got my new Type-C volt/amp meter (*he Power-Z KM003C if you want to know). Did a quick test and it seems the actual power draw is higher than previously reported result, but it is not all bad news. First, it confirmed my old Type-C volt./amp meter is indeed not as accurate and consistently undermeasure. Secondly, while the actual number of power draw is higher, the ratio between W4 vs. W2 remains mostly consistent as previously reported. The new test shows that W4 is still around 35~40% or so more efficient than W2. Will have to redo the whole test later to have all the number updated. Stay tuned.

May 23, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #447 of 1,430
Not sure. It wasn’t doing that before the FW update (was showing accurate 16 or 24), so I’m more suspicious of a bug. I’m even more concerned for a bug / issue because it played DSD when I got it (albeit with some slight artifacts), and that also broke completely when I updated the firmware. I’ve never had an issue with any of my DACs (Pro-Ject, Topping, Questyle, Shanling, iFi) decoding DSD through Roon, so I really think this is an odd bug and a bad one. Obviously it won’t be worth such an expensive dongle with a loss of functionality, when I was pretty happy with the Q15. Just going for that little bit extra sound quality, like we do in this hobby. I’m not totally convinced it’s better at all, but I don’t think it’s fair to judge it if I’m not sure it’s working due to software, or perhaps I just got a faulty sample.

I also re-downloaded the installer and firmware and re-flashed it, but no change. I’ll plan to wait a few days to see if there is an update that will fix the issue, but I will plan to RMA if I can’t play DSD through Roon on this $450 dongle the way I do on my others.

I am curious because headphones are my secondary hobby - I mostly listen to my loudspeakers and consequently spend more time on those sites. Do a lot of people here use Roon, or is it actually uncommon in the more headphone-focused community?
W2 and BTR7 both show 32bit.
This is explanation from FiiO.

May 23, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #448 of 1,430
May 24, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #449 of 1,430
I've got my W4 on Monday, I was impressed with it, and has been enjoying W4 very much!

One thing I found annoying is that W4 did not work with ddHiFi MFi09S, and also with ddhifi mfi06. Zephone U1 cable is not stable with W4. I'm wondering which cable other than bundled one is stable with it. Hope firmware update will fix it....

May 24, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #450 of 1,430
I've got my W4 on Monday, I was impressed with it, and has been enjoying W4 very much!

One thing I found annoying is that W4 did not work with ddHiFi MFi09S, and also with ddhifi mfi06. Zephone U1 cable is not stable with W4. I'm wondering which cable other than bundled one is stable with it. Hope firmware update will fix it....

Was just waiting for someone else to confirm this. W4 and W4 EX comes with usb-c to usb-c OTG and usb-c to lightning OTG cables. They both work fine, no issues with the included lightning cable and iPhone. But here is a thing that puzzles me, every other lightning OTG cable works OK with W4 ES, but none of them work with W4. I'm completely puzzled because I would expect W4 and W4 EX to behave the same. I tried usb-c to lightning otg cables from ddhifi, oeaudio, as well as lotoo, cayin, shanling, ibasso, they work with W4 EX but not with W4. Again, no issues with the included lightning cable and W4, just the other cables. And no, I didn't update the fw yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back