Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
May 26, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #466 of 1,421
Really good posts about W4, in my case, I've been using W2 131, for more than a year so far. Sound quality pretty good for a dongle, i really enjoyed it.
Also had W1 and W2 131, so I made the comparison and stuff, and reading this and the other threads was really helpful, Thank you guys!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-14 at 7.45.04 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-14 at 7.45.04 AM.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-09-14 at 7.45.05 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-14 at 7.45.05 AM.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0
May 26, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #467 of 1,421
Honestly from what I've read so far this new W4 hasn't blown anyone out of their seat. Perhaps the expectations were high, but also justified by the price which is almost double its old W2. Also because by now there are many, even too many dongles that make cleanliness and precision their main feature ... bringing something new in this area is not easy now ... then there are some exceptions and peculiarities of some dongles on the others... but obviously the "definitive" one doesn't exist. Among all these, the Questyle M15 stands out to me personally for its ability to drive heavy loads and for its musicality combined with precision (for some superior to the W4 itself), the iBasso DC04PRO for its combined audio quality at a ridiculously low price, the Cayin RU6 for its unique and refined implementation of R2R in such a small device and we will see what the new RU7 will bring. Having said that, the only thing that this new W4 seems to bring to the table to date is, in addition to the improved sound performance compared to its predecessors (5%-7%), a more sparing use of the smartphone battery ... even if not what he would have expected. For "the miracle" we will have to wait (unnecessarily) because of small "miracles" now practically one a week comes out. The W4 is not a miracle just because miracles don't exist (anymore).

Were you planning to buy W4? I assume you don't have it, never heard it before, haven't compared it to other dongles, yet you have a very strong and rather pessimistic opinion about it based on a few shared impressions, almost like you are having a buyers remorse without actually buying it :D

Imho, W4 is an incremental step up from W2, the improvement is subjective, can't exactly quantify it because we hear things differently and it will depend on pair up synergy with your iems/headphones. It's no different than moving up to $5k+ iems with $2k-$3k cables where you have diminishing returns and 5-10% improvement over other products half the price. Some people are loyal to the brand and will buy the next flagship release, instead of shopping around for the best price/performance ratio. Some people are curious and want to try every new release because they don't have access to attend CanJams or can't wait until the next show. Some people will look into these maybe because of their unique design and build quality and rather convenient push-button/volume control for a fast volume adjustment (I was skeptical until I tried it). I don't have M15, but reviews I read mention about a high level of hissing noise with sensitive iems, so no-go with Campfire audio and some other iems, while W4 handles it like a champ even in high gain.

And you are right, the performance of many of the today's new iems, daps, dongles got to a level where nothing is mind blowing anymore. And from talking to my readers, I see how some people are paying extra hundreds (in case of dongles) or extra thousands (in case of iems, cables, DAPs) just to squeeze out that last bit of 5% improvement. That's just the way it is :)

May 26, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #468 of 1,421
I've had the W4 EX for a few days and been very impressed. The lower power draw makes a big difference for me (compared to my W2). I find the SQ to be stellar for a dongle. Pairing it mostly with IE900, Mach 80 and ER4XR for my daily walks and very happy with the result.

I haven't noticed any cellular interference so far; it was a BIG problem with the W2. Anyone else notice that difference??

I'm a Mac user so I have to use Boot Camp to run the updater. But I'm have real problems getting it to run. If any one is well-versed in updating via Boot Camp, please pm me.

May 26, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #469 of 1,421
@twister6
I don't contest anyone's choices, then especially in this specific area I would have no reason to (I wouldn't be anyone to do that), but I apply my way of conceiving things to my purchases. Maybe you're right in thinking that I won't buy the W4, but not because it costs too much for what it offers, but only because I have another way of approaching this world, as each of us has his own way. In fact, within two weeks I bought a RU6, a DC04PRO and an M15 (I could have easily bought the W4 if I was convinced). You are a reviewer and therefore you have the opportunity to listen to almost everything without spending unthinkable sums of money for anyone on this forum, in the end I try to do what you do without breaking the bank and in fact before buying something I always look among your reviews too and I always find them pertinent and adherent to reality. Most of the stuff I have was bought just following your reviews... iBasso IT07, iBasso DX220MAX, UM Mest MKII etc.. etc... Anyone who liked the W1,W2,W2131, has the full right to buy the W4 even if it was to get an extra 1%, I don't dispute this but I don't share it either... I prefer to "taste" different flavours, experience new emotions, understand the different implementations which in the end all have the same purpose... let us listen to the music we love. In the end, you and I are much more similar than you think... we want to try "everything", with the only difference that I can't research that extra 1%... otherwise I wouldn't really try "everything". I'm still waiting for your review of the Jewels... but this time I cheated on you... I bought them before reading them... :wink:

May 26, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #470 of 1,421
@twister6
I don't contest anyone's choices, then especially in this specific area I would have no reason to (I wouldn't be anyone to do that), but I apply my way of conceiving things to my purchases. Maybe you're right in thinking that I won't buy the W4, but not because it costs too much for what it offers, but only because I have another way of approaching this world, as each of us has his own way. In fact, within two weeks I bought a RU6, a DC04PRO and an M15 (I could have easily bought the W4 if I was convinced). You are a reviewer and therefore you have the opportunity to listen to almost everything without spending unthinkable sums of money for anyone on this forum, in the end I try to do what you do without breaking the bank and in fact before buying something I always look among your reviews too and I always find them pertinent and adherent to reality. Most of the stuff I have was bought just following your reviews... iBasso IT07, iBasso DX220MAX, UM Mest MKII etc.. etc... Anyone who liked the W1,W2,W2131, has the full right to buy the W4 even if it was to get an extra 1%, I don't dispute this but I don't share it either... I prefer to "taste" different flavours, experience new emotions, understand the different implementations which in the end all have the same purpose... let us listen to the music we love. In the end, you and I are much more similar than you think... we want to try "everything", with the only difference that I can't research that extra 1%... otherwise I wouldn't really try "everything". I'm still waiting for your review of the Jewels... but this time I cheated on you... I bought them before reading them... :wink:

Tbh, don't think standalone Jewel review will happen because... I featured Jewel in multiple dozens of my IEMs, DAP, and cable reviews as part of the comparison, pair up, etc. So, it has been covered to death, still featured and will continue to be featured in my reviews since it is currently my "reference" IEM :)

May 26, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #471 of 1,421
Tbh, don't think standalone Jewel review will happen because... I featured Jewel in multiple dozens of my IEMs, DAP, and cable reviews as part of the comparison, pair up, etc. So, it has been covered to death, still featured and will continue to be featured in my reviews since it is currently my "reference" IEM :)
mine too...lol
:wink:

May 26, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #472 of 1,421
I have w2-131 and it's great but it can't last a very long listening session on a single cell phone charge. So I bought this w4 for its lower power consumption. The sound signature are very similar except that there's a present surprise in the vocal department. Comparatively, w2-131 has an intimate vocal presentation while the w4 puts the vocal more to the front and a bit away from the head. So, generally, w4 has a more spacious soundstage.

May 26, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #473 of 1,421
I have w2-131 and it's great but it can't last a very long listening session on a single cell phone charge. So I bought this w4 for its lower power consumption. The sound signature are very similar except that there's a present surprise in the vocal department. Comparatively, w2-131 has an intimate vocal presentation while the w4 puts the vocal more to the front and a bit away from the head. So, generally, w4 has a more spacious soundstage.
We hear the same thing :beerchug:

May 27, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #474 of 1,421
To complete yesterday's speech... this morning I also bought the RU7... lol
...then in the end the best was the W4... lol

May 27, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #475 of 1,421
To complete yesterday's speech... this morning I also bought the RU7... lol
...then in the end the best was the W4... lol
Please do share the comparison between the two (and also maybe on the RU7 thread) - it would be super helpful to hear your view

May 27, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #476 of 1,421
Please do share the comparison between the two (and also maybe on the RU7 thread) - it would be super helpful to hear your view
it will take me some time to compare 4 dongles, but I certainly will... I'm glad to share my impressions with those who share my passion. :wink:

May 27, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #477 of 1,421
I just ran some tests with my cheapo USB voltmeter, so not the most accurate. Compared to my W2 OG, the W4 EX draws 50% less power.

The W4 EX even beats my previous champ: Violectric Chronos!! Mind you, the Chronos is only SE with an output of 30 mA. Still, the EX draws 17% less power than the Chronos.

There's some serious voodoo going on here...:ksc75smile:

EDIT: forgot to add that I used balanced output from W2/W4.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #479 of 1,421
Some pictures from L7Audio Lab review were posted on the first page, not sure that the actual review was.
Here it goes, apologies if a dup.
This website is a reliable source of information, the administrator of L7audiolab has an AP555, which has been used to measure many audio devices.

May 29, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #480 of 1,421
Some pictures from L7Audio Lab review were posted on the first page, not sure that the actual review was.
Here it goes, apologies if a dup.
I don't go by measurements but the W4 sounds really good for its size. Actually so good that I have no need to the W2 anymore.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back