Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Feb 27, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #4,981 of 5,299
I bought the ACG version, sadly I don't have the OG nor the 131 to compare to this. But so far I'm enjoying it.
IMG_3208.jpg
Can't seem to find what the difference is between the ACG and the 131? Any help appreciated

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:46 AM Post #4,982 of 5,299
Can't seem to find what the difference is between the ACG and the 131? Any help appreciated
Just flip a few pages back and read my previous post.

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #4,983 of 5,299
Lower power consumption up to -35% is possible with this gold usb cable made by L&W. I have it and it is wonderful but I didn't test exactly the power consumption but is definitely much lower then the included cable.
but how do you know without measurement? Or did you monitor the phone battery?

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #4,986 of 5,299
Completely new to this but I’ve just bought a W2-131 used and have some noob questions that I’m sure have already been discussed and explained here, so sorry for that:

1. What is latest firmware version for the W2-131 and where can I download it?

2. Is it possible to update on a Mac or iOS device or just via Windows / Android?

3. What exactly is the firmware update procedure on this little thing?

Thanks so much, people!

Edit: Yeah, it was early here… found it on page 1 😂 Nevermind :D

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #4,987 of 5,299
Can anybody explain to me why my W2 131 shows 32B/44.1K on the display when connected to my iPhone 13 Pro Max (stock cable) when the actual source file in Apple Music shows „24 Bit/44,1 kHz ALAC“?

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #4,988 of 5,299
Can anybody explain to me why my W2 131 shows 32B/44.1K on the display when connected to my iPhone 13 Pro Max (stock cable) when the actual source file in Apple Music shows „24 Bit/44,1 kHz ALAC“?

Thanks!
Screenshot_20230304_173217_Chrome.jpg

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #4,989 of 5,299

Thanks!
Fiio explains it for BTR7, but the same applies to W2 and pretty much all USB dongles.

5. When connecting the BTR7 via USB and playing 24bit tracks through FiiO Music app, why would the BTR7 show 32bit?

The bit depth displayed on the BTR7 is the bit depth of the song transmission, which is different from that of the track. This is the best compatibility we chose when customizing the XMOS USB AUDIO driver. 32bit is compatible with both 32bit and 24bit. When playing a 24bit track, the 32bit displayed actually means the transmission mode of the USB driver, but does not mean that it is a 32bit file, and XMOS does not upsample the 24bit track.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #4,990 of 5,299
Mar 6, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #4,991 of 5,299
After listening to the iFi Go Bar at the NYC Canjam, I decided to buy it. I liked the warm tuning sound and that you can quickly increase the bass enough to make monitoring headphones sound fun. Go Bar was not considered a replacement for W2, but rather as an addition since, on the first listening, I realized that technically it does not surpass W2, but it gives what I sometimes lack in W2.

After a couple of days of listening and comparing it with a Luxury & Precision W2, here are some thoughts.

For the test, I used only balanced output. Using the same cable Type-C, Go Bar with Bit Perfect (NOS) filter and W2 at the Tune 2 and NOS filter sound close to each other. I doubt that with this setup, anyone with a blind test can spot the difference. However, there is a noticeable difference with filters turned on.

The following comparison will use the Standard (Fast) filter on Go Bar, the Fast filter, Tune 2 on W2, and the W2 original Type-C cable.
Both units are close to neutral, and the music genre is universal. However, Go Bar is closer to the neutral, with a neutral-warm signature. With Go Bar, I hear more linear frequencies and a full bass spectrum, although W2 has slightly more sub-bass. I prefer listening to more heavy metal music with a Go Bar, especially with Male vocal that gives more emotions and body to it.
While W2 has more modified tuning over the neutral sound with a more neutral-W-shaped sound, W2 technically slightly outperforms the Go Bar in the instrument separations, soundstage, and details. Since W2 slightly emphasizes mid-highs, Female vocals sound more emotional. W2 is more sub-bass and highs emphasis, making the sound more marvel.

There are also noticeable audible differences for me in the stock cables between the Go Bar and W2.
The Go Bar stock cable has a lush, laidback, warm, and smooth signature that suits the overall Go Bar signature well. However, in terms of technical performance, it isn’t that good.
The W2 stock cable is the best out-of-the-box cable for the buck in terms of technical performance, with a very slight emphasis in the mid-highs overall, with a smooth and close-to-neutral presentation.

UX disadvantage that I found is:
Go Bar:
  • If you are using Audirvana on Mac, be careful. Connecting the Go Bar with Audirvana turn-on may increase the volume to 100%;
  • I hear a noticeable hiss while using the Nintendo Switch when no sound is playing;
  • Why are led indicators on the back?
W2:
  • Sometimes Macs with Apple silicon do not recognize it;
  • Useless EQ in comparison to the XBass+ and XSpace;
If you are looking for the best performance dongle for the price, a W2 is still the king. However, Go Bar may be your choice if you want a more relaxing, lush, warm, still good performance dongle out of the box. Both of them are good to recommend.

IMG_3711.jpeg

Mar 12, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #4,993 of 5,299
Can the W2 compete with midrange daps? I just purchased a UM multiverse mentor and was told that I should get something better than the W2. I prefer to just use my phone+dongle to a dap so is there anything better than the W2 right now, dongle or portable dac/amp? I also have the ru6 and was using them with the anole VX and like the W2 more.

Mar 12, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #4,994 of 5,299
Can the W2 compete with midrange daps? I just purchased a UM multiverse mentor and was told that I should get something better than the W2. I prefer to just use my phone+dongle to a dap so is there anything better than the W2 right now, dongle or portable dac/amp? I also have the ru6 and was using them with the anole VX and like the W2 more.
I used the W2 with my EE Odin's and thought it was fantastic, I also have an A&K SP2000 and although it is sounds better the difference is quite small considering the price difference.
I also enjoy the phone+dongle form factor for some occasions so have recently re-bought a W2 from the classifieds :)

Completely agree with you on the RU6, the W2 sounds much better to me.

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #4,995 of 5,299
I used the W2 with my EE Odin's and thought it was fantastic, I also have an A&K SP2000 and although it is sounds better the difference is quite small considering the price difference.
I also enjoy the phone+dongle form factor for some occasions so have recently re-bought a W2 from the classifieds :)

Completely agree with you on the RU6, the W2 sounds much better to me.
Well f* it then, I'll stick with the W2. I actually had the fiio m15 a couple of years ago and like you thought the difference wasnt huge so sold it, recently sold my Susvara and transitioning to iems only so I thought I would ask. Might get the m6 ultra because having a device for music only is appealing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back