Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jun 22, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #736 of 1,452
hey guys,LP will reslease new frimware ver. 10016,This firmware is currently in beta testing and will be released soon. with the following updates:

1. IE900 headphone-specific tuning supported by FPGA hardware.
  2. DSD512 hardware decoding support. Due to chip specification differences, only W4 supports this. Please note that playing DSD512 increases power consumption, which may affect your phone's battery life.
  3. Resolved the screen flickering issue when some units are paired with iPhones at low battery levels.
  4. Improved compatibility with third-party cables.
Awesome 👍.

Jun 22, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #737 of 1,452
In your opinion, with the same build quality, does something change between a USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 cable to connect a dongle? For example, is the L&P WP2 a USB 2.0 or USB 3.1? Thank you

Jun 22, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #738 of 1,452
In your opinion, with the same build quality, does something change between a USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 cable to connect a dongle? For example, is the L&P WP2 a USB 2.0 or USB 3.1? Thank you

This online calculator:

https://www.colincrawley.com/audio-file-size-calculator/

says that an uncompressed file a
768khz@32bit Stereo has a bitrate of 49152 kbps (about 50 Mbs).

This Google search:

https://www.google.it/search?q=usb2+vs+usb3+speed&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl

says USB2's (nominal) bandwidth capacity is 480Mbs, while USB3's is 4.8Gbs

I'd argue that USB2 has plenty of bandwidth for any audio stream I can imagine (DSD included).

Jun 22, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #741 of 1,452
it's coming to me... who knows what firmware it comes with?

Jun 22, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #743 of 1,452
Cool jazz and no words :
IMG_3776.jpeg

Jun 22, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #744 of 1,452
Jun 22, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #745 of 1,452
hey guys,LP will reslease new frimware ver. 10016,This firmware is currently in beta testing and will be released soon. with the following updates:

1. IE900 headphone-specific tuning supported by FPGA hardware.
  2. DSD512 hardware decoding support. Due to chip specification differences, only W4 supports this. Please note that playing DSD512 increases power consumption, which may affect your phone's battery life.
  3. Resolved the screen flickering issue when some units are paired with iPhones at low battery levels.
  4. Improved compatibility with third-party cables.
It is still in beta test. Will post it here once it is finalized.

Jun 23, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #748 of 1,452
Jun 23, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #749 of 1,452
Do you like the W4 if you got it, more than RU7?
The RU7 just arrived late yesterday so I haven’t had a chance to compare it to the W4 too much. However, I’m very impressed with the RU7. Based on my preferences and everything I’ve read, I assumed it would naturally be the second option for me but I actually like it almost as much as the W4. I think I’m going to be swapping between these two dongles quite a bit.

I’m horrible with adjectives but the RU7 has a liquid sound that that is not short on detail. It’s not quite as resolving as the W4 in my opinion but it doesn’t sound like I’m missing any information when I listen to it. It’s such an intriguing quality for me since I usually associate “smooth” with veiled or lacking detail. Vocals are sweet and come to life in a different way than on the W4. That said, I really enjoy vocals on the W4 as well.

I personally can’t say one is better than the other right now. They’re just different and I can see why someone might prefer one over the other. However, I think they compliment each other nicely. For those of us that enjoy variety and different presentations, I can imagine quite a few will end up owning both dongles. I think the choice is pretty clear for any who leans hard right or hard left in their sonic preferences, though.

This is an interesting situation I’ve gotten myself into 🤔

Jun 23, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #750 of 1,452
The RU7 just arrived late yesterday so I haven’t had a chance to compare it to the W4 too much. However, I’m very impressed with the RU7. Based on my preferences and everything I’ve read, I assumed it would naturally be the second option for me but I actually like it almost as much as the W4. I think I’m going to be swapping between these two dongles quite a bit.

I’m horrible with adjectives but the RU7 has a liquid sound that that is not short on detail. It’s not quite as resolving as the W4 in my opinion but it doesn’t sound like I’m missing any information when I listen to it. It’s such an intriguing quality for me since I usually associate “smooth” with veiled or lacking detail. Vocals are sweet and come to life in a different way than on the W4. That said, I really enjoy vocals on the W4 as well.

I personally can’t say one is better than the other right now. They’re just different and I can see why someone might prefer one over the other. However, I think they compliment each other nicely. For those of us that enjoy variety and different presentations, I can imagine quite a few will end up owning both dongles. I think the choice is pretty clear for any who leans hard right or hard left in their sonic preferences, though.

This is an interesting situation I’ve gotten myself into 🤔
Congrats, and welcome to the rabbit hole. Your early impressions are exactly the reason why I reviewed these two 'superdongles' together; they trade blows like two prize fighters, and complement each other so well with a wide variety of IEMs. They're even almost identical in size. If you have the budget, picking both over a midrange DAP is the way to go, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back