Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 24, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #2,671 of 5,297

Attachments

• 3980FB7C-01A1-4780-8C2B-CF6E23269318.jpeg
    3980FB7C-01A1-4780-8C2B-CF6E23269318.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 24, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,675 of 5,297
I've just received W2. Plan to use it with iphone12 + Trailli. Anyone could suggest the proper adjustment on W2 and iphone to get the best sound?
yep, better get some Android digital transport :wink:
seriously I think it's decent with iPhone but when getting a Porsche I won't compromise anything regarding its fuel.
I prefer dynamics on both Moto G6 Android or my M8 TOTL DAP as digital Transport over iPhone 11 Pro.
MacBook Pro is great too, you realise it directly when you A-B using UApp or even Amazon Music HD or Tidal native app.
Settings on W2: standard, tone:2, high gain

Edit: I'd also recommend that you borrow some other TOTL DAPs to pair with Traillii just to get an idea if you miss something.
Though it sounds fabulous on W2 I personally wouldn't like to miss the thick SQ signature with mid bass impact and even bigger layering on my Shanling M8 which I won't carry around though for ultra portability

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #2,676 of 5,297
yep, better get some Android digital transport :wink:
seriously I think it's decent with iPhone but when getting a Porsche I won't compromise anything regarding its fuel.
I prefer dynamics on both Moto G6 Android or my M8 TOTL DAP as digital Transport over iPhone 11 Pro.
MacBook Pro is great too, you realise it directly when you A-B using UApp or even Amazon Music HD or Tidal native app.
Settings on W2: standard, tone:2, high gain
Try it with a apple camera adapter.....

May 24, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,677 of 5,297
Try it with a apple camera adapter.....
Will test later for sure but looking at my earlier tests this year I am not so confident e.g https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lux...le-update-info-on-post-1.949448/post-16279864

Anyone with IPhone who doesn't own Android devices can test himself and connect W2 to his Mac/PC and play the same track.
Let me know your thoughts
The distortion issue is actually only relevant for very sensitive IEMs like Andromeda.
I guess anything > 12 Ohms should be fine
Nevertheless I am questioning the difference of headroom and dynamics using different voltage output levels.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #2,678 of 5,297
May 24, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #2,679 of 5,297
Will test later for sure but looking at my earlier tests this year I am not so confident e.g https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lux...le-update-info-on-post-1.949448/post-16279864

Anyone with IPhone who doesn't own Android devices can test himself and connect W2 to his Mac/PC and play the same track.
Let me know your thoughts
The distortion issue is actually only relevant for very sensitive IEMs like Andromeda.
I guess anything > 12 Ohms should be fine
Nevertheless I am questioning the difference of headroom and dynamics using different voltage output levels.
May also depend on the iPhone. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Yqd7lpt3N2B0kVwzqzHoRmCTO7ZTe32p_xhjuGluh8/htmlview the e1da 9038 will work with some but not others. Seems like different iPhones give different amount of power.

May 24, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #2,680 of 5,297
May also depend on the iPhone. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_Yqd7lpt3N2B0kVwzqzHoRmCTO7ZTe32p_xhjuGluh8/htmlview the e1da 9038 will work with some but not others. Seems like different iPhones give different amount of power.
Hmm interesting
Would definitely be worth a big fat note on first page which IPhones are suitable without limitation plus I d even consider myself upgrading my IPhone to 12Pro if that will work as expected...
I could personally only test IPhone 11Pro and I think also Twister wrote before there's some general Apple IPhone limitation regarding the USB output specification...
That's why I assumed it's a general thing.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,681 of 5,297
I've just received W2. Plan to use it with iphone12 + Trailli. Anyone could suggest the proper adjustment on W2 and iphone to get the best sound?
Default out-of-box settings is my favorite. I never felt the need to tinker (and even when I did, didn't really like it).

Default settings just for reference should be Standard, Fast, and Tuning 2 at HIGH gain. Tuning 1 actually brings the mids forward but seems to compress the treble and bass too much for my tastes.

May 24, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #2,682 of 5,297
I’ve been using a XS with my Odins and no issues with distortion - max volume on the iPhone and high gain is around ‘20’. My PC definitely drives it better but seems fine for my use. I need to try with a recent android device to compare as its left me curious.

May 24, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #2,684 of 5,297
Just did quick A-B Tidal IPhone 11 Pro vs Moto G6, New Twenty One Pilots Album, Traillii on high gain, standard, LL fast, tone 2
- Ddhifi cable on IPhone or Apple Camera Connection Kit with attached USB A to C adapter: no audible difference for me
- Tidal native app Moto G6 vs IPhone 11 Pro:
+ volume difference strangely not so audible as I thought before - sound equally loud
+ iPhone sounds more wet and a tad more boomy on IPhone bass notes not as textured as on Moto G6
- UApp on Moto G6 vs Tidal native app on IPhone 11 Pro
+ noticeable lift in all frequencies, especially mids to high frequencies
+ more forward mids
+ appears louder as laid back presentation on Tidal native app even comparing Moto G6 against itself only

My subjective sum up:
- Difference Tidal native app on Android Moto G6 vs IPhone 11 Pro is not as striking as I thought
- difference between UApp Moto G6 vs IPhone 11 Pro native app is very striking though
- difference between UApp and Tidal native app on Moto G6 alone is striking too
- for a more laid back lush presentation with in comparison reduced details Tidal native app is fine for either Android or IPhone
- For more revealing forward presentation with more details UApp on Android, here: Moto G6 is my personal choice

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back