Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 24, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #2,686 of 5,299
Anyone with a iPhone notice a significant difference depending on what cable you use? Using the s
Just did quick A-B Tidal IPhone 11 Pro vs Moto G6, New Twenty One Pilots Album, Traillii on high gain, standard, LL fast, tone 2
- Ddhifi cable on IPhone or Apple Camera Connection Kit with attached USB A to C adapter: no audible difference for me
- Tidal native app Moto G6 vs IPhone 11 Pro:
+ volume difference strangely not so audible as I thought before - sound equally loud
+ iPhone sounds more wet and a tad more boomy on IPhone bass notes not as textured as on Moto G6
- UApp on Moto G6 vs Tidal native app on IPhone 11 Pro
+ noticeable lift in all frequencies, especially mids to high frequencies
+ more forward mids
+ appears louder as laid back presentation on Tidal native app even comparing Moto G6 against itself only

My subjective sum up:
- Difference Tidal native app on Android Moto G6 vs IPhone 11 Pro is not as striking as I thought
- difference between UApp Moto G6 vs IPhone 11 Pro native app is very striking though
- difference between UApp and Tidal native app on Moto G6 alone is striking too
- for a more laid back lush presentation with in comparison reduced details Tidal native app is fine for either Android or IPhone
- For more revealing forward presentation with more details UApp on Android, here: Moto G6 is my personal choice

tock cable or a meenova the w2 sounds thin and small. But with a penon audio cable or apple camera adapter it sounds amazing.
Good to know I just ordered 2 ddhifi cables and was worried. Coming from the iPhone 6 to the 12mini and W2 have been really inpressed by how much better new setup sounds.
Guess next might be new iem’s, I’ll see how the new cable sounds with the phonak 232 first. I love the comfort and sound but wonder what else i’m missing out on by staying with older iem’s compared to newer ones.

May 24, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #2,687 of 5,299
For Amazon Music HD users: IPhone is playing bit perfect and W2 is streaming full information from IPhone vs the missing full MQA unfold in Tidal on W2.
Same might apply for Quobuz.
On my Moto G6 W2 is showing some weird double of the songs bit rate vs fixed 192 khz on IPhone which is consistent to what I am getting on all of my current and past TOTL DAPs and Macbook Pro.
I fear on my Android phone there's some Android processing happening which is not desired.
So for IPhone users I recommend Amazon Music HD for full reliable hires experience with even an edge over some Android implementations like my company phone

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #2,688 of 5,299
For Amazon Music HD users: IPhone is playing bit perfect and W2 is streaming full information from IPhone vs the missing MQA in Tidal.
Same might apply for Quobuz.
On my Moto G6 W2 is showing some weird double of the songs bit rate vs fixed 192 khz on IPhone which is consistent to what I am getting on all of my current and past TOTL DAPs and Macbook Pro.
I fear on my Android phone there's some Android processing happening which is not desired.
So for IPhone users I recommend Amazon Music HD for full reliable hires experience with even an edge over some Android implementations like my company phone
It could be a Tidal thing for iphone - I've been using Qobuz and the bit rates all seem fine.

May 24, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,690 of 5,299
You misunderstood what I meant with Amazon Music HD.
When playing bit perfect you won't apply any system equalizer, not even pressing the hardware volume buttons will change volume on W2 then.
And that's the case on IPhone vs Android Moto G6 in my case.
So that's why I say IPhone has the edge here plus is displaying the correct bit rates vs Android.

May 24, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #2,692 of 5,299
Seems as if another unintended good reason for me moving away from tidal earlier this month....
The rates are correctly displayed on Tidal/IPhone/W2 but not on Amazon Music on Android/W2.
Tidal will do first 2x in software for MQA and that's what W2 is showing then

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #2,694 of 5,299
How are the eq presets?

I am a bit fussy, preferring parametric / surgical eq.

I might abandon my Sony NWZ 507 for this (to keep things simple)

What is battery drain like (I am on an iPhone 12 pro plus / max? The largest)

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #2,695 of 5,299
Please don't shoot me, but I think my question may be very basic:

I have Focal Clear headphones. Right now, I'm plugging into 3.5mm directly, but do you guys think there would be a difference if I switched to the 4.4mm balanced output? It'd be a $50 adapter spend for me. I'm using the stock Focal cables.

May 25, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #2,697 of 5,299
Please don't shoot me, but I think my question may be very basic:

I have Focal Clear headphones. Right now, I'm plugging into 3.5mm directly, but do you guys think there would be a difference if I switched to the 4.4mm balanced output? It'd be a $50 adapter spend for me. I'm using the stock Focal cables.
For harder to drive headphones the 4.4 mm balanced output is a must. Not only you get nearly double power compared to the 3.5 mm output but you get better separation, wider stage and deeper bass, to name some of the benefits.

May 25, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #2,700 of 5,299
what are the volume levels you guys are listening at? with my clairvoyance, in high gain i can easily get to 70 on volume.
also is there something i should do when using w2 with youtube? seems very quit and i almost have to max out volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back