Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 24, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,658 of 5,290
Anyone with a iPhone notice a significant difference depending on what cable you use? Using the stock cable or a meenova the w2 sounds thin and small. But with a penon audio cable or apple camera adapter it sounds amazing.
I suspect that’s due to the power supply restriction when used with some cables, which include the stock cable.

May 24, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #2,659 of 5,290
I suspect that’s due to the power supply restriction when used with some cables, which include the stock cable.
Thought the voltage restriction applies to IPhone in general and not the stock cable?
Will need to test ddhifi cable later once again but as far as I remember it didn't solve this restriction

May 24, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #2,660 of 5,290
Thought the voltage restriction applies to IPhone in general and not the stock cable?
Will need to test ddhifi cable later once again but as far as I remember it didn't solve this restriction
I was thinking that maybe the Apple camera adaptor solves the issue.

May 24, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #2,661 of 5,290
I was thinking that maybe the Apple camera adaptor solves the issue.
If that's true that will be like groundbreaking news for first page...
Have sold my Andro Golds meanwhile...
Who still has sensitive IEMs to do the distortion test with camera connection kit?
At least I will compare volume level later today to stock cable and report

May 24, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,662 of 5,290
Um what’s the camera connection kit? Maybe that’s why my little m5 sounds better because of the better cable. I’m using stock iPhone cable. Not like it matters because I can’t get all my music on this little pos ha ha :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #2,663 of 5,290
Um what’s the camera connection kit? Maybe that’s why my little m5 sounds better because of the better cable. I’m using stock iPhone cable. Not like it matters because I can’t get all my music on this little pos ha ha :)
Apples proprietary OTG solution from lightning to USB

May 24, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,665 of 5,290
Oh, Yeah I figured these included cables were pretty cheap. I’ve heard of camera kit before but was confused with ‘camera’ being in the name.
Guess that's historical as it was exactly for connecting camera card readers etc once upon a time ago and just kept the name then.
Honestly W2 is my first DAC introducing an all-in-one cable instead of the bulky Apple adapter.
I ve been using the camera connection kit and clones of it with all sorts of DACs/DAPs before mobile and desktop.
For such dongle solutions it's of course nicer to have smaller footprint solutions
But as discussed in this thread before there are better quality alternatives to the stock cable such as penon and ddhifi (which I got after jumping on the W2 train).
I still believe that these better cables are superior for not losing port connections but won't improve any IPhone voltage restrictions - for which I mainly use Android with W2 meanwhile.
Haven't paid much attention to that topic before W2

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,666 of 5,290
Guess that's historical as it was exactly for connecting camera card readers etc once upon a time ago and just kept the name then.
Honestly W2 is my first DAC introducing an all-in-one cable instead of the bulky Apple adapter.
I ve been using the camera connection kit and clones of it with all sorts of DACs/DAPs before mobile and desktop.
For such dongle solutions it's of course nicer to have smaller footprint solutions
But as discussed in this thread before there are better quality alternatives to the stock cable such as penon and ddhifi (which I got after jumping on the W2 train).
I still believe that these better cables are superior for not losing port connections but won't improve any IPhone voltage restrictions - for which I mainly use Android with W2 meanwhile.
Haven't paid much attention to that topic before W2

Just an anecdote, but I noticed the other day that my W2 got considerably warmer when used with a Penon cable compared to Apple adapter + generic USB cable. I am not experiencing disconnects with either.

May 24, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #2,667 of 5,290
I ordered a m3x for an android transport so I’ll be good there. But I’m having problems with my IPhone so I might be going back to android anyways. My caller ID isn’t working even though att says all is well.
But I digressW2 is wonderful and It will have a wonderful transport, one way or another.
I gotta say besides size the iPhone 12 seems like a step down from my s10e and pixel 5.

Bummer is every time I switch phones it’s a 55 dollar restocking fee. Yet both my ‘new’ phones weren’t sealed, and were clearly opened lol.

Sorry about whining about my phone :) I’m just frustrated.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,669 of 5,290
Just an anecdote, but I noticed the other day that my W2 got considerably warmer when used with a Penon cable compared to Apple adapter + generic USB cable. I am not experiencing disconnects with either.
Interesting, because the penon cable is pretending to be Apple camera cable. Look at settings- general- about....... The stock w2 comes up as a Yhx cable....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back