Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Apr 10, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #1,891 of 5,299
I just received the Penon Lightning>USB-C cable. It is a world of difference from the included cable!! So far (about ½ hour), not one disconnect. I'm even dangling the dongle from my iPhone and not one interruption. :L3000::L3000::L3000:

I highly recommend this cable for any iPhone user. I think I hear an audio improvement in bass tightness and overall clarity, but I'll just chalk it up to bias confirmation.

I'm about to go back to Penon to order the USB-C > USB-C cable for using the W2 with my Hiby R3.

EDIT: doesn't look like they make that cable. Any ideas for where to get one?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #1,893 of 5,299
One important experience I have made is the tone setting.
I kept it set to the revealing setting for some time and listening to modern music like EDM, Electro, Pop, etc I thought my ears went bad or IEM driver got defect as I was missing body and slam on my Andro Golds.
Setting it back to normal restored my old beloved tuning.
Imho the reference setting is best suited for classical music etc at least for my taste and gear

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,894 of 5,299
  1. The one or two features of W1/W2 that you enjoy the most (such as sound quality, output power, size, etc).
  2. The one or two features that you wish LP to improve or add to W1/W2 (cable color, better EQ, etc).
  1. Output power (the need for isodynamic IEMs), detailed sound

• PEQ - I want to add some weight and body to the sound without sacrificing the overall quality. the current Bass preset makes the sound unacceptable. It is not necessary to make a smartphone app for this. you can integrate EQ into the current interface of the small display without using a graph, but only numerical valuesin relation to decibels to frequencies.​
    • And please add the option to turn off the display to save power consumption so that the iPhone can play music at maximum volume. i really miss this with my high impedance isoplanar IEMs. If that happens, I'll sell all my DAPs!​
    • Of course, i need some kind of carrying case to wear while listening. A silicone case like the S1 is quite suitable. I'm afraid the leather cover would have to be removed before use, which is inconvenient​

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,895 of 5,299
Thx for your feedback.
I need to check my orders if that was original.
I though experienced same distortions after decoupling from Y cable and only connecting the before rock solid ddhifi cable/adapter without additional power connected...
Will need to test later other apps than Spotify...
just heads up: after rebooting my iPhone, there haven't been any distortions with the exact same setup on my ride back home today!

Just received MEST MKII today and burning them in on W2, so far very satisfied, thx @bluestorm1992 for the suggestion :L3000:

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,896 of 5,299
just heads up: after rebooting my iPhone, there haven't been any distortions with the exact same setup on my ride back home today!

Just received MEST MKII today and burning them in on W2, so far very satisfied, thx @bluestorm1992 for the suggestion :L3000:
Glad to know that you like them both, enjoy!! :smile:

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #1,897 of 5,299
I noticed that the device allows you to reach different maximum volume, relative to how heavy and assertive the music is. i.e. light genres can be played up to 99%, and heavy metal much lower.

still hoping for a miracle that the device will learn to work from the iPhone at maximum volume without conditions and compromises

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,898 of 5,299
I noticed that the device allows you to reach different maximum volume, relative to how heavy and assertive the music is. i.e. light genres can be played up to 99%, and heavy metal much lower.

still hoping for a miracle that the device will learn to work from the iPhone at maximum volume without conditions and compromises
I agree it's a bummer, am happy though that all my IEMs seem to not reach that limit.
Even the newly received MEST MKII will hurt my ears if I go louder than high gain, 45-50 at most

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #1,899 of 5,299
  1. Output power (the need for isodynamic IEMs), detailed sound
    • PEQ - I want to add some weight and body to the sound without sacrificing the overall quality. the current Bass preset makes the sound unacceptable. It is not necessary to make a smartphone app for this. you can integrate EQ into the current interface of the small display without using a graph, but only numerical valuesin relation to decibels to frequencies.​
    • And please add the option to turn off the display to save power consumption so that the iPhone can play music at maximum volume. i really miss this with my high impedance isoplanar IEMs. If that happens, I'll sell all my DAPs!​
    • Of course, i need some kind of carrying case to wear while listening. A silicone case like the S1 is quite suitable. I'm afraid the leather cover would have to be removed before use, which is inconvenient​
I wonder whether L&P could explain in technical terms what the difference is between the Tune choices of 01 and 02. Is there a passthrough mode?

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #1,900 of 5,299
Just got words that the third party case maker (Ali / taobao) mentioned quite awhile ago has received the case mold and is currently running preproduction test. If nothing goes wrong, full production will be in a day or two.

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,902 of 5,299
This just arrived and works pretty well but not sure how sturdy it will be moving left to right... Have a custom gold-plated USB-C to USB-C cable on the way to compare this week.
IMG_20210412_211845.jpg
IMG_20210412_211908.jpg

Apr 12, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,903 of 5,299
Nice pictures!
I just received the same adapter today!
Unfortunately my Shanling Q1 is too thick for it :disappointed_relieved:
Will check my 2nd Android phone later with it

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,904 of 5,299
This just arrived and works pretty well but not sure how sturdy it will be moving left to right... Have a custom gold-plated USB-C to USB-C cable on the way to compare this week.
Maybe some Velcro on the w2 and phone for it to remain a bit more steady?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back