Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Apr 12, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,906 of 5,299
While I do enjoy my W2 (and S1, and S2, etc), these are far from perfect products...

The current challenges associated with both robust connectivity (robust being no intermittent disconnects and no long term damage to usb sockets) and EMI interference are the biggest limiters to actually using these devices in their intended use model - mobile audio solution. Hopefully a vendor will come along and design solutions that address these significant drawbacks to fully realize the value of these solutions.

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #1,907 of 5,299
While I do enjoy my W2 (and S1, and S2, etc), these are far from perfect products...

The current challenges associated with both robust connectivity (robust being no intermittent disconnects and no long term damage to usb sockets) and EMI interference are the biggest limiters to actually using these devices in their intended use model - mobile audio solution. Hopefully a vendor will come along and design solutions that address these significant drawbacks to fully realize the value of these solutions.

So, maybe we should ask L&P for Bluetooth Wireless version of W2 to address these problems :wink:

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,909 of 5,299
So, maybe we should ask L&P for Bluetooth Wireless version of W2 to address these problems :wink:
Possibly, but the bar for Bluetooth solutions is already set quite high by the Qudelix 5k and FiiO BTR5. In this case I am referring to hard wired solutions.

I really don’t think it is asking for very much to expect robust physical connectivity and no EMI from products intended for high quality wired mobile audio - they will experience a lot of jostling (physical connectivity challenges) and close proximity (interference issues).

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,910 of 5,299
:ear:While I do enjoy my W2 (and S1, and S2, etc), these are far from perfect products...

+++++++++++++
Well, LP is listening. :wink: :ear:

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,911 of 5,299
Possibly, but the bar for Bluetooth solutions is already set quite high by the Qudelix 5k and FiiO BTR5. In this case I am referring to hard wired solutions.

I really don’t think it is asking for very much to expect robust physical connectivity and no EMI from products intended for high quality wired mobile audio - they will experience a lot of jostling (physical connectivity challenges) and close proximity (interference issues).

qudelix 5k, just looked it up, no volume/transport controls in Bluetooth wireless dongle?

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #1,912 of 5,299
qudelix 5k, just looked it up, no volume/transport controls in Bluetooth wireless dongle?
Volume control is there in app or physical buttons.
What do you mean with transport control?

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,913 of 5,299

This form factor solves those problems that even Qudelix 5k and BTR5 suffer from. You still need a cable and that cable causes problems while also suffering from sound quality degradation. It's slightly better, but not really by that much. If L&P can create this form factor with the sound quality of the W2, it will sell at any price.

Compared to the solution that includes DX300 + C9, this is much more appealing for walking in the park. The question is always how much impact to sound quality are you willing to take for the simplicity of the bluetooth use case.

Attachments

• UTWS3 and 3DT.jpg
    UTWS3 and 3DT.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #1,915 of 5,299
Who owns the Qudelix 5K, how would you describe the sound difference with the W2?
W2 is in another ballpark than Qudelix.
And sound impression strongly depends on connected gear as I realise.
With my Andro Golds Qudelix sounded similar to Paw S1, wetter and darker than W2 whereas Paw S1 is a step up in everything from Qudelix in SQ.
With my new MEST MKII I am still burning in and need to get used to its signature, it's much more revealing than any IEM I had so far.
W2 seems to have better dynamics, more resolution and body, slam on my MEST MKII than Qudelix, I cannot call Qudelix darker and wetter any more with this pairing.
With my Full Size Denon Qudelix is sounding more full-bodied and I like it more than W2 strangely.
So synergy is really everything...

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #1,916 of 5,299
This form factor solves those problems that even Quedelix 5k and BTR5 suffer from. You still need a cable and that cable causes problems while also suffering from sound quality degradation. It's slightly better, but not really by that much. If L&P can create this form factor with the sound quality of the W2, it will sell at any price.

Compared to the solution that includes DX300 + C9, this is much more appealing for walking in the park. The question is always how much impact to sound quality are you willing to take for the simplicity of the bluetooth use case.
The Qudelix and FiiO don’t suffer from these problems when used in the Bluetooth use model. I do agree that they would potentially suffer from physical disconnects if wired. Having never experienced any EMI issues on these I cannot comment if they are truly immune.

Bottom line is that products should work in the use case they are primarily designed for.

Having said that, I do like my W2 (and other dongles). But they are much more limited than they should be.

Edit: yes, the Qudelix 5K and FiiO BTR5 are inferior to the W2 in sound. My point is that we should be able to enjoy that without annoyances that are directly related to the intended use model

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,917 of 5,299
The Qudelix and FiiO don’t suffer from these problems when used in the Bluetooth use model. I do agree that they would potentially suffer from physical disconnects if wired. Having never experienced any EMI issues on these I cannot comment if they are truly immune.

Bottom line is that products should work in the use case they are primarily designed for.

Having said that, I do like my W2 (and other dongles). But they are much more limited than they should be.
I agree, whereas I am also not sure if my just recently encountered static noise and instability issue on my Iphone11Pro connected to W2 was related to EMI or iPhone software or cable connection.
A reboot solved it on my ride back home.
Qudelix is imho the most versatile bluetooth dongle plus has superior software support - bluetooth connection is rock solid and supports any device including my Sony soundbar in LDAC receive mode, it can still receive a signal through 2 concrete ceilings with heating built in, that's unbelievable for this small dongle.

SQ wise though its solid but not premium compared to W2 or S1 imho

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,918 of 5,299

Sorry, I should have been more clear about my issue with the BTR5. First, you still have a cable and it's slightly better because you don't need a wire between the BTR5 and the smartphone. But, you still need a wire and that is a hassle and can disconnect or wear down the source side connector over time. With a truly wireless solution, you have no cables at all. Usually, the biggest issue with bluetooth is the sound quality since it is by its very nature a lossy protocol, but that can be fixed over time and a great DAC provider should be able to make it work in tws form.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,919 of 5,299
I also think with LDAC the difference to wired is reduced alot at least up to CD quality

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #1,920 of 5,299
Sorry, I should have been more clear about my issue with the BTR5. First, you still have a cable and it's slightly better because you don't need a wire between the BTR5 and the smartphone. But, you still need a wire and that is a hassle and can disconnect or wear down the source side connector over time. With a truly wireless solution, you have no cables at all. Usually, the biggest issue with bluetooth is the sound quality since it is by its very nature a lossy protocol, but that can be fixed over time and a great DAC provider should be able to make it work in tws form.
The wired connection to the earphones/headphones on either dongles or BT receivers like K5 or BTR5 is a feature... you use a solution like this because you want the quality you get with the best IEMs. Also I have never heard of anyone having a problem with these connections, but some may.

in the case of the W2 and other dongles, the wired connection to the source is also a feature, to give the highest quality digital transport. But this wired connection is notoriously bad due to jostling when walking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back