Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Apr 12, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #1,921 of 5,299
The wired connection to the earphones/headphones on either dongles or BT receivers like K5 or BTR5 is a feature... you use a solution like this because you want the quality you get with the best IEMs. Also I have never heard of anyone having a problem with these connections, but some may.

in the case of the W2 and other dongles, the wired connection to the source is also a feature, to give the highest quality digital transport. But this wired connection is notoriously bad due to jostling when walking.
Interesting take. For me, I have the BTR5 and I think its value is in its price-performance. It does a lot for $109. Supporting both wired and bluetooth. Balanced and single end. And, EQ options is a great value.

For sound quality, I prefer the Lotoo PAW S1 and L&P W2 by a large margin so I rarely listen to the BTR5 anymore as a dongle. The only use case remaining for me was it's bluetooth capability since my other dongles don't have it. But, when I got the UTWS3, the sound quality is similar to the BTR5 in bluetooth mode and has superior wireless benefit since no cables are required.

Just a different perspective.

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #1,922 of 5,299
Interesting take. For me, I have the BTR5 and I think its value is in its price-performance. It does a lot for $109. Supporting both wired and bluetooth. Balanced and single end. And, EQ options is a great value.

For sound quality, I prefer the Lotoo PAW S1 and L&P W2 by a large margin so I rarely listen to the BTR5 anymore as a dongle. The only use case remaining for me was it's bluetooth capability since my other dongles don't have it. But, when I got the UTWS3, the sound quality is similar to the BTR5 in bluetooth mode and has superior wireless benefit since no cables are required.

Just a different perspective.
We may actually be saying similar things, just differently. When I need the flexibility of not having a dongle, I use either the Qudelix or FiiO. I don’t use the Qudelix or FiiO in any other mode than Bluetooth, since I have superior dongles if I want the best sound and am willing to have the wired dongle. When I want the best sound quality, I use a wired dongle. But when I do use a wired dongle I have to put up with intermittent usb-c disconnects and occasional EMI, problems that inherently work against the use model of a wired dongle (since by definition it is wired to the transport, and if that transport is a phone then you might suffer from EMI).

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #1,923 of 5,299
Volume control is there in app or physical buttons.
What do you mean with transport control?

play/pause/skip buttons, can you control the playback from 5k? I didn't realize it had physical buttons from the picture on amazon.

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,924 of 5,299
We may actually be saying similar things, just differently. When I need the flexibility of not having a dongle, I use either the Qudelix or FiiO. I don’t use the Qudelix or FiiO in any other mode than Bluetooth, since I have superior dongles if I want the best sound and am willing to have the wired dongle. When I want the best sound quality, I use a wired dongle. But when I do use a wired dongle I have to put up with intermittent usb-c disconnects and occasional EMI, problems that inherently work against the use model of a wired dongle (since by definition it is wired to the transport, and if that transport is a phone then you might suffer from EMI).
Yes, we are saying the same thing, just differently.

Apr 12, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,925 of 5,299
Apr 12, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,926 of 5,299
iPhones aren't known for their antennae design strength. For the sake of trendy design, apple makes some compromizes on the hardware front, shielding being one of them. By design, if you wish to hear music on an iPhone it's either the wired headset or airpods.
Dongles like this are extra.

With the S1 I had no emi or disconnections when plugged to my Zenfone 6. The same can't be said with my cousin's iPhone 12..

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #1,929 of 5,299
That's my new favourite pairing currently: Shanling Q1 with W2 and MEST MK2.
Love it.

Attachments

• tempImage1e0UpG.png
    tempImage1e0UpG.png
    9.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 12, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,930 of 5,299
iPhones aren't known for their antennae design strength. For the sake of trendy design, apple makes some compromizes on the hardware front, shielding being one of them. By design, if you wish to hear music on an iPhone it's either the wired headset or airpods.
Dongles like this are extra.

With the S1 I had no emi or disconnections when plugged to my Zenfone 6. The same can't be said with my cousin's iPhone 12..
My S1 picks up noise with my LG v30 when on LTE. It has been a while since I checked out my W2 on the LG v30. I’ll see if I can check it out later today.

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #1,931 of 5,299
Read an interesting article about dongles.

If translator is working correctly, it mentions that L&P said it's selling W2 at almost loss at current price. This is due to DAC chip shortages associated with AKM fire as manufacturers had to shift to using CS43198 chip due to unavailability of AK chips. But apparently W2's price won't go up.

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #1,932 of 5,299
Read an interesting article about dongles.

If translator is working correctly, it mentions that L&P said it's selling W2 at almost loss at current price. This is due to DAC chip shortages associated with AKM fire as manufacturers had to shift to using CS43198 chip due to unavailability of AK chips. But apparently W2's price won't go up.
Yup I can confirm that. The margin of W2 is VERY small (if that margin even exists...) for LP now due to the increase in DAC chip prices.

Generally companies don’t make a lot from small dongles, the sky high chip prices now just make things a lot worse.

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,934 of 5,299
BTR5 can be used as a bt receiver for the W2?
I don't own it but as far as I read it doesn't.
My Shanling Q1 does work though as it is supporting PCM forwarding over USB-out :wink:
Only question is how much benefit it will bring you if you want to stream from your mobile phone sitting in the same pocket as the bluetooth dongle anyway.
I could imagine an advantage if the bluetooth dongle can be attached somewhere close to your head, so the cable management is less of a pain potentially.
Qudelix 5ke.g. does have some clip but doesn't support USB out

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #1,935 of 5,299
Given that there hadn't been a stock update in a while on W2...so just looking at lesser options than W2 at the moment, how does W1 compares to S1 in sound quality/soundstage? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back