Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 14, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #961 of 5,296
Intersting DAC/AMP.
I've just read a nice review about it
https://www.headfonia.com/dethonray-honey-h1-review/
From what I am reading this one is performing best with brighter gear.
Imho with W2 it's the opposite, it's best with a tad warmer IEMs.
That reminds me of my experience with Ibasso flagship DX300, same story, great musicality, Hugo-like, but with too warm gear it could be too blown in mid bass in case of my Andro Golds.
Not happening with W2.

So as it was written before, there is no general better even with different price classes.
Everything is up to synergy of DAC/AMP-headphone/IEM and personal taste
If someone asks me about my take on the H1 vs. the W2, I answer his/her question, because I own the H1 and I have listened to the W2, which is on its way. What is considered « bright » or « warm » is subjective, let it be with IEMs, full-size HP, DAPs and why not dongles.

I get your point and the one from the previous post. You both are right. I am a « synergy » believer from the early hours and following/understanding this « motto » is helpful to anyone’s audio journey.

I confirm, Dethonray H1 is soundwise better than W2, with anything I have thrown at them yesterday. W2 is very close and I am looking forward to getting my unit to enjoy great music playback quality on the go or at the office (1x per week so far)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #962 of 5,296
Sharing some pics of W2 from LP China.

I will be receiving my W2 on Tuesday, and will be able to try out the W2+Cayin C9 combo.

Attachments

• 51D1D473-256D-427D-9806-64F21CAECD67.jpeg
    51D1D473-256D-427D-9806-64F21CAECD67.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 65CCDEC8-D5D6-4FBA-9D0F-161590AE56E6.jpeg
    65CCDEC8-D5D6-4FBA-9D0F-161590AE56E6.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
  • C520D23F-3F38-496A-BFA7-F71D4E7D469A.jpeg
    C520D23F-3F38-496A-BFA7-F71D4E7D469A.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #964 of 5,296

I will be receiving my W2 on Tuesday, and will be able to try out the W2+Cayin C9 combo.
Very much looking forward to reading your review! 👍

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #965 of 5,296
I was expecting to come home to mine today, last tracking was from 12 hours ago indicating it was with the delivery driver, but nothing here and folks were home during the day while I was at work (and usually there would be a tracking entry in the event of a failed delivery, or a calling card). Too late to call the courier company so nothing for it but to wait for the time being.

Mar 15, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #967 of 5,296

Really looking forward to hearing this pairing.

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #968 of 5,296
LG as in an LG phone? I have no idea as I only use Apple stuff.

There really is no “winner” in all of this as what works for you, has the features you desire and sounds good to you is what’s “best.”
oh, i thought you sad you had an LG V30=)

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #969 of 5,296
I confirm some EMI on the W2 yet only using the balanced output. This is via an iPhone XR and the cable I listed in an earlier post.

For those who wonder how the W2 compares to the H1, the former is more flexible and as detailed and you can reach what could be considered a warmish sound signature depending on your settings.

It is not the analog, musical/warm-yet-detailed H1. As @F700 mentioned, synergy is key, and, IMHO, so is the DAC's implementation of the as well as the amp section.

I recently heard the Calyx M and, yes, amp design and type make a world of difference.

With that said, for a dongle-type DAC/Amp the W2 is (very) tough to beat.

In terms of slaps in my "audiophile" 's face, return on investment, etc. I essentially had four:
  • Apple's AirPod Pro
    • Affordable end-game with comfort, convenience and great sound for the price
  • L&P's W2
    • Tough to beat mid/high-fi with a detailed sound which can be tuned
  • Dethonray's H1
    • Not overly expensive high-fi DAC/Amp with a stunning sound
  • Calyx M
    • Mind-blown -- this thing sounds simply incredible
      There's nothing like it in this format AFAIK

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #970 of 5,296
Just sent an email to Luxury Precision about a firmware update to enable Windows 7 and game consoles to connect to W2, something we can already do with Lotoo Paw S1. Also I mentioned about this website and hopefully they will release such firmware.
Once they replay will let you all know.
Fingers crossed 🤞
I am not so optimist that they will do that to be honest. W7 is out of date and not anymore supported by MS. In W10 the DAC W2 gets immediately recognized.
But let's see. I tried the W2 on my W10 notebook and the sound was fantastic. I connected it to W7 and it was recognized but since it does not have an audio driver to it - it did not work - as already discovered by many others before... We'll see if L&P will support an obsolete OS or not..

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #973 of 5,296
No Windows XP support? No sale!

j/k

Anyway, a friend just texted to say he is awaiting delivery of a W2, so I'll get a chance to audition it in a couple weeks or so. I've said upthread I am not in the market for such a device, and frankly, would use it very sparingly, but I remain intrigued by the apparently light-speed fast development of these bus-powered devices (I refuse to spend above a certain level for any battery-powered audio device a/c battery degradation over time/use). Maybe I need to change my routine so a device like this makes sense for me.
I think prior to that you need to change the OS on your PC... XP ? Keep it - for the museum - as good as it was - sadly it is way behind...
Even in China they moved on to more recent OS's .... wow ... man, you have a lot of routine upside potential !!!!!

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #974 of 5,296
If someone asks me about my take on the H1 vs. the W2, I answer his/her question, because I own the H1 and I have listened to the W2, which is on its way. What is considered « bright » or « warm » is subjective, let it be with IEMs, full-size HP, DAPs and why not dongles.

I get your point and the one from the previous post. You both are right. I am a « synergy » believer from the early hours and following/understanding this « motto » is helpful to anyone’s audio journey.

I confirm, Dethonray H1 is soundwise better than W2, with anything I have thrown at them yesterday. W2 is very close and I am looking forward to getting my unit to enjoy great music playback quality on the go or at the office (1x per week so far)
You are comparing a device that costs 650 Euro to one that costs half the price - and is much bigger in size and 10x the weight in comparison..

https://dethonray.nl/en/product/dethonray-honey-h1

Are you sure this is not apples with pears - both fruits but very different ?
Also the H1 has a battery - in my humble view - this is a totally different animal and even market segment.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #975 of 5,296
You are comparing a device that costs 650 Euro to one that costs half the price - and is much bigger in size and 10x the weight in comparison..

https://dethonray.nl/en/product/dethonray-honey-h1

Are you sure this is not apples with pears - both fruits but very different ?
Also the H1 has a battery - in my humble view - this is a totally different animal and even market segment.
Considering the price difference, it's more like salmon roe and caviar...:sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back