Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 14, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #947 of 5,290
Did you try with the ZENs?
Yes and it has enough power to drive them, but I think you will prefer the M9 out of it.
Better synergy coming up your alley IMO. Eventhough you can play with pre-installed EQ and filters, while not forgetting 2 « tune » settings, the W2 pairs very well with mid-centric and warmish IEMs. The ZEN sound good out of the W2, don’t get me wrong, but I would bet on the M9 and even more on the Sony N3👹

Mar 14, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #948 of 5,290
Yes and it has enough power to drive them, but I think you will prefer the M9 out of it.
Better synergy coming up your alley IMO. Eventhough you can play with pre-installed EQ and filters, while not forgetting 2 « tune » settings, the W2 pairs very well with mid-centric and warmish IEMs. The ZEN sound good out of the W2, don’t get me wrong, but I would bet on the M9 and even more on the Sony N3👹

Interestingly, I tend to prefer the M9 at the moment via the ZX507 over the WM1A - they sound smoother overall and work with a broader range of genres on the M9. That said, still only just over a week in so more time needed. Look forward to some testing on the W2, to include of course the N3 :)

Mar 14, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #950 of 5,290
What different EQs for IEMs is on the W2?

Mar 14, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #951 of 5,290
No Windows XP support? No sale!

j/k

Anyway, a friend just texted to say he is awaiting delivery of a W2, so I'll get a chance to audition it in a couple weeks or so. I've said upthread I am not in the market for such a device, and frankly, would use it very sparingly, but I remain intrigued by the apparently light-speed fast development of these bus-powered devices (I refuse to spend above a certain level for any battery-powered audio device a/c battery degradation over time/use). Maybe I need to change my routine so a device like this makes sense for me.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #952 of 5,290
What different EQs for IEMs is on the W2?
Pre-installed are « normal, classic, jazz, pop, rock and another one I might have forgotten». The « normal » and the « rock » are my way to-go (based on an approx 2 hours-listening test session yesterday). Worth mentioning are the « tune » option. You can switch between 2 settings and it actually impact the sound restitution a bit, tune 2 being a bit smoother than tune 1. DAC-related filters options are also available. Minor change to my ears, but some might disagree. A welcome setting in any case. A feature I did not tried is EQing via your laptop, having the W2 connected to it. I am looking forward to this feature upon the arrival of my unit.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #953 of 5,290
Pre-installed are « normal, classic, jazz, pop, rock and another one I might have forgotten». The « normal » and the « rock » are my way to-go (based on an approx 2 hours-listening test session yesterday). Worth mentioning are the « tune » option. You can switch between 2 settings and it actually impact the sound restitution a bit, tune 2 being a bit smoother than tune 1. DAC-related filters options are also available. Minor change to my ears, but some might disagree. A welcome setting in any case. A feature I did not tried is EQing via your laptop, having the W2 connected to it. I am looking forward to this feature upon the arrival of my unit.
Thanks. :) i ws thinking about the presets for different IEMs?

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #954 of 5,290
Mar 14, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #955 of 5,290
Thanks so much! First one who have tried the W2 with Roon that ive heard of! I dont have any Apple products. I have just used my V40 uptil now, but UAPP with V40 sound better than Roon with V40. Therefore i want an dacamp and just use my samsung tablet as remote insted(or V40).

What other gear have u owned/tried? How good do you think the W2 is with Roon compared to other gear?
The other portable gear that I have and have used with Roon include Mojo/Poly, FiiO Q5S, R3 Pro Saber, xDuoo XD05 Plus, and R6 2020.

For IEMs, the W2 competes with all of them. With full size cans you may want more power depending on the particular headphone(s) you have.

When the AQ Cobalt came out I bought one but returned it within about a week. The W2 is head & shoulders above that in my opinion.

I’m sure I would be happy with an S1 but I have to say I’m really surprised at how good the W2 is. I will not be returning it 🙂.

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #956 of 5,290
The other portable gear that I have and have used with Roon include Mojo/Poly, FiiO Q5S, R3 Pro Saber, xDuoo XD05 Plus, and R6 2020.

For IEMs, the W2 competes with all of them. With full size cans you may want more power depending on the particular headphone(s) you have.

When the AQ Cobalt came out I bought one but returned it within about a week. The W2 is head & shoulders above that in my opinion.

I’m sure I would be happy with an S1 but I have to say I’m really surprised at how good the W2 is. I will not be returning it 🙂.
With IEMs, do they beat LG?

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #957 of 5,290
Listening to some good recordings on Audirvana is really breathtaking on the W2 with my Andro Gold.
1615760209295.png

My IEMs were laying in the drawer most of the time at home as I was mostly listening with my TOTL DAP and Full Size cans.
Now as my DX220 Max is sent for repair - I am not missing it as much as I thought :thinking:

Mar 14, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #958 of 5,290
How does you think the W2 compared to dethonray honey?
The fellow Head-Fier and I were talking about that yesterday, interesting question of yours. The H1 definitely is a step up, even without all the features of the W2, but power-and-sound wise it’s another level. The W2 is a « baby » H1 in the sense that it enhances the music experience from your phone or computer. Feed it with single DD, hybrid or BA-only IEMs and the « difference » is there.

Price/performance ratio makes the W2 a clear winner. In the absolute, H1 is ahead.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #960 of 5,290
The fellow Head-Fier and I were talking about that yesterday, interesting question of yours. The H1 definitely is a step up, even without all the features of the W2, but power-and-sound wise it’s another level. The W2 is a « baby » H1 in the sense that it enhances the music experience from your phone or computer. Feed it with single DD, hybrid or BA-only IEMs and the « difference » is there.

Price/performance ratio makes the W2 a clear winner. In the absolute, H1 is ahead.
Intersting DAC/AMP.
I've just read a nice review about it
https://www.headfonia.com/dethonray-honey-h1-review/
From what I am reading this one is performing best with brighter gear.
Imho with W2 it's the opposite, it's best with a tad warmer IEMs.
That reminds me of my experience with Ibasso flagship DX300, same story, great musicality, Hugo-like, but with too warm gear it could be too blown in mid bass in case of my Andro Golds.
Not happening with W2.

So as it was written before, there is no general better even with different price classes.
Everything is up to synergy of DAC/AMP-headphone/IEM and personal taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Back