Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Feb 18, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #4,621 of 5,299
Wait to make it clear, does that mean now you have source volume (0-100) to control volume and hardware volume stays at 100?
Only stay at 100 with android device. On iOS it may stay at 100 initially, but as soon as something playing audio the device volume control change to correct value. The on device volume control will also change 6 level at a time same as you click phone volume.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #4,622 of 5,299
At least that's how it worked on Dragonfly Red "In DragonFly Red and Cobalt, we were able to employ a highly sophisticated 64-step, 64-bit, bit-perfect digital volume control that was developed by our DAC chip supplier ESS. It works similarly: With DragonFly Red/Cobalt connected to a PC or mobile device, adjusting the host’s system volume control will, through proxy, control the DragonFly’s onboard volume. Here again, we’ve optimized (via ESS' tech) the volume control to ensure maximum resolution and the highest sound quality, regardless of volume setting."

Fixed. Let don't take credit from what ESS has emblemed onto pretty much all their DAC chips and described it like they have invented it.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #4,623 of 5,299
Fixed. Let don't take credit from what ESS has emblemed onto pretty much all their DAC chips and described it like they have invented it.
lol I just copy and pasted from AudioQuest website. :sweat_smile:

Though I'd imagine most source volume controlled dongles these days probably all work more or less in similar way (i.e. PEE51 which is CS43131 chip). Or at least I hope so.

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #4,625 of 5,299
I think only RU6 has true hardware volume control.
Are you referring to HID control or physical buttons on dongle, as W2 has true hardware control via buttons on the unit and partially working HID HW control, which for me on Android only worked with UAPP.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #4,626 of 5,299
Are you referring to HID control or physical buttons on dongle, as W2 has true hardware control via buttons on unit and partially working HID HW control, which for me on Android only worked with UAPP.
I actually mean the volume control implementation in signal path not buttons. RU6 has an analogy volume control as opposed to digital.
You are right, I just tried again. w2 hid works with UAPP. I think I confused myself with other software.

Feb 18, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #4,627 of 5,299
The only downside of the W2 is that there’s no way to customize EQ settings. Other than that, it has killed any incentive to get a DAP IMO. This thing is great.

What would be cool is a follow up with some onboard storage to store custom EQ settings and a interface that makes updates easier.

There’s “no way to customize EQ settings” … at this time. The last firmware update included a new profile for a 4th IEM set, which shows the possibilities. It’s up to L&P take note of similar manufacturers adding app access to their devices (e.g., the new Shanling UA5). Not to suggest app control because that wouldn’t be as accurate as doing in hardware on the W2, which is what the SDF profiles do. I’m sure we’ll never be able to add an infinite number of SDF/EQ profiles, but to be able swap in/out a half dozen of our own would be nice to have…

… L&P?

Feb 19, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #4,628 of 5,299
There’s “no way to customize EQ settings” … at this time. The last firmware update included a new profile for a 4th IEM set, which shows the possibilities. It’s up to L&P take note of similar manufacturers adding app access to their devices (e.g., the new Shanling UA5). Not to suggest app control because that wouldn’t be as accurate as doing in hardware on the W2, which is what the SDF profiles do. I’m sure we’ll never be able to add an infinite number of SDF/EQ profiles, but to be able swap in/out a half dozen of our own would be nice to have…

… L&P?
I've been spoiled by the Qudelix in this regard even though its via app control. Every dongle and dap should offer this.

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #4,630 of 5,299
anyone have any thoughts on RU6 vs W2? I just received the RU6 and it didnt blow me away (i think bc of too high of expectations). I'm looking at the v1 W2 to compare it to.

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #4,631 of 5,299
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #4,634 of 5,299
thank you. i have read a lot of impressions, but always good to have more thoughts.

Let it burn in for 200 hours they say after any judgment.
I love my W2.
i bought mine used, user bought it Dec 2021, so hopefully it has a few hours on it already.

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #4,635 of 5,299
anyone have any thoughts on RU6 vs W2? I just received the RU6 and it didnt blow me away (i think bc of too high of expectations). I'm looking at the v1 W2 to compare it to.
I have RU6 now I'm in the same boat where it's not bad but I'm not 100% sold on it yet. Namely the soundstage is kind of small and layering feel a little bit flat.

I generally like intimate vocal in acoustic performances that's why I opt for RU6 first but even so the stage still feel too.... small?

So I'm moving to next closest option which is W2-131, I have it ordered should be coming this week. Will update you once I got it.
Let it burn in for 200 hours they say after any judgment.
I love my W2.
I got mine second hand also and previous owner says he probably put in 30 hours? I have it plugged to my PC since I got it so it's on from 9 am to roughly 2-3 am (18 hour a day?) every day for 2 weeks now? But music doesn't play all the time so I don't know if burn in require something to be playing. So I actually don't know my actual hours now. But so far I'm not fully sold yet. I'll keep using it until my W2-131 gets here and see what happens lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back