Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Feb 17, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #4,606 of 5,299
Off the bat I think Tone 1 and Tone 2 are pretty self explanatory
Tune 01 and Tune 02. Do you have any info on those, I've only found this?

Also on that HID volume link, how does it work, from what I see it maxes out W2 gain and do digital control at the source, which is usually not good.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #4,607 of 5,299
Tune 01 and Tune 02. Do you have any info on those, I've only found this?

Also on that HID volume link, how does it work, from what I see it maxes out W2 gain and do digital control at the source, which is usually not good.
From what I gathered here it sounds like it's more v shaped and less v shaped.

As for the volume, to my understanding is that there is hardware volume where you max source volume (100) then just control the volume on W2.

The other mode is that "in theory" (need to read more into it) that it uses the host's volume as a controller to control hardware volume. So it still reads full data (as if it were 100 volume) but the source volume will control the hardware volume level. Again this one I'm not 100% sure feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But that's my interpretation.

At least that's how it worked on Dragonfly Red "In DragonFly Red and Cobalt, we were able to employ a highly sophisticated 64-step, 64-bit, bit-perfect digital volume control. It works similarly: With DragonFly Red/Cobalt connected to a PC or mobile device, adjusting the host’s system volume control will, through proxy, control the DragonFly’s onboard volume. Here again, we’ve optimized the volume control to ensure maximum resolution and the highest sound quality, regardless of volume setting."

Unless it just do mirror the volume, which would suck LOL. i.e. like source 60 volume hardware 60 volume. I hope it works more like source 100 volume hardware 60 volume behind the scenes.

Again need to read more into this but I feel like a lot of dongle dac have similar way of handling volume.

EDIT: Surprisingly hard to find info regarding this. One source did say "Whereas, turning on the HID key, the W2 controls the volume of the smartphone or source. When turned on, the volume on the W2 DAC remains at the last value it was set to. And pressing the volume up or down on the W2 only changes the volume on the smartphone. For me, I’d rather set this off, so that I can control the volume of the smartphone and W2 independently." then that would be terrible.

I guess one way to test is set hardware volume to 0, then turn on HID mode, and increase volume and see if you can hear anything. If you hear nothing then it only controls source volume, if you hear something then it controls hardware volume if that makes sense lol.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #4,608 of 5,299
I guess one way to test is set hardware volume to 0, then turn on HID mode
With HID mode activated hardware volume is locked at 100, which makes me believe that only source (digital domain) volume works.
As for V shaped response for Tune 01, the link I posted was from guy responding to the claim in review, and to my ears he is more on target with his assessment than the reviewer.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #4,610 of 5,299
The only downside of the W2 is that there’s no way to customize EQ settings. Other than that, it has killed any incentive to get a DAP IMO. This thing is great.

What would be cool is a follow up with some onboard storage to store custom EQ settings and a interface that makes updates easier.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #4,611 of 5,299
The only downside of the W2 is that there’s no way to customize EQ settings. Other than that, it has killed any incentive to get a DAP IMO. This thing is great.

What would be cool is a follow up with some onboard storage to store custom EQ settings and a interface that makes updates easier.
At least on phone you can use UAPP, it has PEQ.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #4,613 of 5,299

You could try the Qudelix 5K. It has PEQ and EQ support, which work in both BT and wired mode. The 5K does not have a display, but it does have a very capable app.

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #4,614 of 5,299
With HID mode activated hardware volume is locked at 100, which makes me believe that only source (digital domain) volume works.
As for V shaped response for Tune 01, the link I posted was from guy responding to the claim in review, and to my ears he is more on target with his assessment than the reviewer.
On my og w2 volume will change from 100 to real value once I start playing music on iOS device. Sometime it will start with correct value. I have no idea why.
It works with android UAPP. (Edit: tested again it works with hid)
When using with Roon and raspberry pi bridge, roon will try to adjust first device in Linux mixer which has no effect.
In Linux console I can adjust volume of the 2nd device in alsa mixer when HID setting is on, the value also displayed correctly on w2.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #4,616 of 5,299
I love my W1. I always leave the EQ to “none” and the fast filter.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #4,617 of 5,299
Bingo, with Qobuz app it does digital control and volume on W2 is locked at 100%, but with UAPP, which is using HW volume control, phone volume controls W2.
Need to check PC.

PC HID Key is broken, locked at 100% volume.
It does work with my iPad Air and Qobuz, I just tried. You need to hit play button before the volume sync to the device.

Feb 17, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #4,618 of 5,299
It does work with my iPad Air and Qobuz, I just tried. You need to hit play button before the volume sync to the device.
In Qobuz Google Store app or Qobuz within UAPP?
This is Android (LG V30), and it's locked if you use default OS audio. In UAPP Qobuz or any other content HID volume control works fine.

Just reread your message one more time, yes, volume rockers syncing volume to device but it controls source digital volume. In UAPP source is maxed out and phone volume controls or volume on W2 both control hardware gain.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #4,619 of 5,299
In Qobuz Google Store app or Qobuz within UAPP?
This is Android (LG V30), and it's locked if you use default OS audio. In UAPP Qobuz or any other content HID volume control works fine.
oh it only works for me on iOS device.

I just tired on my surface x, the volume is synced as well I can adjust volume on both side. But seems value will jump occasionally.

Tried again on android, it doesn’t work.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #4,620 of 5,299
Bingo, with Qobuz app it does digital control and volume on W2 is locked at 100%, but with UAPP, which is using HW volume control, phone volume controls W2.
Need to check PC.

PC HID Key is broken, locked at 100% volume.
Heyyy thanks for the feedback guys!

Wait to make it clear, does that mean now you have source volume (0-100) to control volume and hardware volume stays at 100?

Now the biggest question is that does it degrade sound? Because generally speaking we always want 100 source volume to get the full dynamic range no? Or does it sound identical to say if you were using 100 source volume and the same level of hardware volume?

I've been looking for something that's source controlled volume (similar idea to xDuoo Link2 Bal, PEE51, Dragonfly Red.....etc) it is more convenient for my use case (I'm on PC, keyboard shortcut for volume).

So if this doesn't work out with W2-131 it could potentially be deal breaker. I'm currently using RU6 which is also hardware volume, find it slightly annoying having to reach away to press RU6 and look down at volume level. As oppose to change PC volume and there's on-screen volume display (quite large on screen actually, top left of monitor).

lol sorry I know this might sound whiny, but something to think about....... hmmmmmmmmmm lol.
I just tired on my surface x, the volume is synced as well I can adjust volume on both side. But seems value will jump occasionally.
My guess is that maybe not all devices have same amount of steps (i.e. 100 steps vs 64 steps volume control). So they just pick the closest one to match I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back