Luxman P-1 loaner program
Nov 20, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #31 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Accuphase atop the Luxman P-1. Almost a perfect match (damn! my wallet is quaking). Both are a champagne gold, bit the Lux is a shade paler.
LuxmanP-15of7.jpg

M-m-m, thank you agile_one. I was just wondering how would it go with my DP 75v. Seems they were meant to be together
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #32 of 141
Hey Todd, I'm not sure how many people or how many weeks are in front of me, but would it be possible for me to get the Luxman in time for the NYC Fall Meet on December 13th?

Aaron

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #33 of 141
Todd/Aaron ... I still have the P-1, but am boxing it up this weekend to ship out Mon morning to next on list. If ok with Todd, and the next person, I can ship up to Aaron for NYC meet.

If I hear nothing by Mon, I'll send on to Brian W. in Weston, FL

Let me know ...

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #35 of 141
Vincent, Aaron, and all my other NY friends ... so glad this all worked out, and that you will get to see and hear this excellent amp.

Don't be thanking me, though, it was Aaron who stepped up to ask for it, Todd (ttvj) who agreed that it would be ok, and Brian W, from Weston, FL, who graciously postponed his place in line.

All I did was ship the box to Aaron ... extremely reluctantly, I might add. Did you see the pic with my Accuphase player? Insane synergy, both visually, and, most importantly, audibly. It took all my will to hand the box over to the UPS minions.

LuxmanP-15of7.jpg

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #37 of 141
Recieved the Luxman on Monday (took a day off work to be there for it's arrival and the carrier ended up bringing it at 7:30 pm
smily_headphones1.gif
)...thanks Gene.

Using my Esoteric DV-50 as a source directly into the Luxman with a pair of R-10's, is definitely one of the best sound combos that I've heard to date.

I still can't tell which pass filter option that I like better. The manual is worthless to me because it is entirely in Japanese. This unit was not made for US consumption but we'll do our darndest to change that
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you Todd. Now the kids will have to go empty handed for Hannukah
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #38 of 141
At the Marin meet, thanks to Voltron (and TTVJ) I was lucky enough to spend some quality time with this amp, which exudes class.

If I recall correctly, we managed to work out that the "pass" button was a by-pass switch for the balance control.

A sanity check would be to set the balance control panned hard left ( or right), and then note in which position the pass button by-passes the balance control, and the balance is restored to the center. Enjoy your time with it.

Dec 5, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #40 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the Marin meet, thanks to Voltron (and TTVJ) I was lucky enough to spend some quality time with this amp, which exudes class.

Yes, indeed ... class all the way, but with brute power and finesse to back it up.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I recall correctly, we managed to work out that the "pass" button was a by-pass switch for the balance control.

A sanity check would be to set the balance control panned hard left ( or right), and then note in which position the pass button by-passes the balance control, and the balance is restored to the center. Enjoy your time with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, so the pass shortens the signal path (in theory)?

Exactly right, Grahame and Vincent ... the "Pass" button is a bypass toggle that takes the Balance Control circuit out of the signal path. I much preferred it in the On (bypass) position - felt slightly fuller bass and purer, cleaner presentation of extremely complex passages.

Dec 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #41 of 141
I totally agree with the fuller bass and cleaner presentation John, but I wonder if volume matching plays a role in this. It appears that the volume increases slightly when the balance is taken out of the circuit.
If it's not because of the increased volume, then it's a poster-child example of how a purer signal path can improve sound quality, because the difference is significant.
This is a serious selling point for Vinnie's iMod.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #42 of 141
Hi All,

So Aaron, are you ready to send it on to the next person???
beerchug.gif

Thanks so much for taking it to the meet and one of these days I am going to come to NYC for a meet. I hope it was a good time and will be checking out the meet impressions after I submit this.

Todd

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #43 of 141
Alas, all good things must come to an end. I am away for a week, but let me know the next address of the Luxman's journey and I will send it on it's way to the next lucky recipient as soon as I get home this weekend.

I will be the next owner of this wonderful amp that, so far, no one has found anything bad to say about it (except for lack of balanced output). Everyone who has heard this amp, has had nothing but accolades to describe it. It is definitely one of the best dynamic amps on the market, available to us .
It does everything right and is a class act, through and through. It exudes class from beginning to end. From the bottom to the top, from the volume knob to the outputs, this is a first class amp. It blows away everything in it's price range.

Todd, please PM me about adding a new one to my stable. I am going to be the next proud owner of a Luxman P-1. If it wasn't for the TTVJ loaner program, I would never have known about this untapped gem.

Todd, you are a true gentleman.

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #44 of 141
I really enjoyed listening to this amp at the NYC meet. An effortless presentation; transparent and smooth. Very nice amp.

Also, agree with Aaron that engaging the bypass changes things for the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back