Loxjie P20 Discussion- Starved for information on this thing!
Dec 1, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #226 of 803
6N3P-DR are the best tubes I have found for the P20. The 5670 and 396A are good tubes, but not really an ideal match with the Loxji. 6N3P-E doesn't improve on the stock tubes. I also use the 6N3P-DR in some of my other amps and find they are also excellent.

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #227 of 803
@dpump,

Well DR versions are Miltary Spec so I expect them to work subjectively 'best' or at least close, not to mention last a long, long time to though I did use the stock tubes for a long time before changing it up.
E versions are essentially what stock tubes are so unless the sound flavour was much to significantly different, I wouldn't expect an improvement.

Just curious, what other tube amps are you using which use DR version?

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #228 of 803
@dpump,

Well DR versions are Miltary Spec so I expect them to work subjectively 'best' or at least close, not to mention last a long, long time to though I did use the stock tubes for a long time before changing it up.
E versions are essentially what stock tubes are so unless the sound flavour was much to significantly different, I wouldn't expect an improvement.

Just curious, what other tube amps are you using which use DR version?

I'm using 6N3P-DR in my Garage1217 Ember and in the Monoprice tube headphone amp. Have to use an adaptor in the Garage1217 Ember. The Monoprice came with a pair of Chinese 6N3 tubes. I tried 3rd generation WE 396A in the Monoprice but I prefer the 6N3P-DR.

The Monoprice tube amp is a steal right now. Original list price was $399 and it is on sale for $189.90 with free shipping.. I have had mine for 9 days and it has been sounding better and better with use. Output tube crosses to 6AS7/6080/421. I'm using a Toshiba 6080 along with the two 6N3P-DR tubes and it is now totally quiet with 32 ohm to 600 ohm phones. Yes it is a Chinese made amp with typical Chinese parts, but I removed the cover to check the construction and it is very nice. The chassis and front panel are very solid and the amp weighs 20-22 pounds. You can't touch it for the price and quality. I seem to always like the sound of amps using the 6AS7/6080 output tube; always has a very powerful and full sound.

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #229 of 803
I'm using 6N3P-DR in my Garage1217 Ember and in the Monoprice tube headphone amp. Have to use an adaptor in the Garage1217 Ember. The Monoprice came with a pair of Chinese 6N3 tubes. I tried 3rd generation WE 396A in the Monoprice but I prefer the 6N3P-DR.

The Monoprice tube amp is a steal right now. Original list price was $399 and it is on sale for $189.90 with free shipping.. I have had mine for 9 days and it has been sounding better and better with use. Output tube crosses to 6AS7/6080/421. I'm using a Toshiba 6080 along with the two 6N3P-DR tubes and it is now totally quiet with 32 ohm to 600 ohm phones. Yes it is a Chinese made amp with typical Chinese parts, but I removed the cover to check the construction and it is very nice. The chassis and front panel are very solid and the amp weighs 20-22 pounds. You can't touch it for the price and quality. I seem to always like the sound of amps using the 6AS7/6080 output tube; always has a very powerful and full sound.

Thanks @dpump,

Interesting info.

Unfortunately, given I am outside the US, shipping to where I am is kind of ridiculous price wise, not to mention at current exchange rate, USD is about 1.8 so not any time soon.

By the way, since you seem to like Russian tubes, I suggest looking into tubes made by Reflector, they make great affordable tubes.
Either thetubestore.com or tube-store.com are great sources.

This is slightly off topic & keep in mind, I haven't tried it for reasons given above but the Cavalli Liquid Platinum seems definitely worth a shot. I have the CTH which is no way similar aside from using a single 6922 tube but does give you a good idea on how Cavalli tunes his amps.

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #230 of 803
At this juncture, as complete ignoramus amplifier-modswise, and with all these mods pouring forth daily, I felt it might be pertinent to ask whither the original Loxje product? What are its virtues in the raw? After all these ops have been performed on the unit, what remains, as it were, of the reasons you bought heem in the first place?

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #231 of 803
At this juncture, as complete ignoramus amplifier-modswise, and with all these mods pouring forth daily, I felt it might be pertinent to ask whither the original Loxje product? What are its virtues in the raw? After all these ops have been performed on the unit, what remains, as it were, of the reasons you bought heem in the first place?

Out of the box, it's a good sounding Amp, and probably the least expensive model that has both Single-Ended & Balanced Input & Output.

Dec 1, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #232 of 803
It sounds great. However if you feed it the hp out from a phone or listen on trashy $10 hp then not so good. With HD6XX it is gorgeous, but they are over twice the price of the amp! Op amp rolling is for the geek in us but def not essential. I did read on the gearslutz forum where the op amps in the P20 are the same used in the mighty SSL mixing desks of the 80's, 90's. The epitome of analogue sound and still widely used at the highest level in recording studios today. Considered by many to be "the" sound. So yep, just plug 'er in and enjoy.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #233 of 803
It sounds great. However if you feed it the hp out from a phone or listen on trashy $10 hp then not so good. With HD6XX it is gorgeous, but they are over twice the price of the amp! Op amp rolling is for the geek in us but def not essential. I did read on the gearslutz forum where the op amps in the P20 are the same used in the mighty SSL mixing desks of the 80's, 90's. The epitome of analogue sound and still widely used at the highest level in recording studios today. Considered by many to be "the" sound. So yep, just plug 'er in and enjoy.
Wow! Thanks for this! Got me wondering tho from where on earth those Chinese chaps could have rounded up such illustrious componentry..?

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #238 of 803
Thanks @dpump,

Interesting info.

Unfortunately, given I am outside the US, shipping to where I am is kind of ridiculous price wise, not to mention at current exchange rate, USD is about 1.8 so not any time soon.

By the way, since you seem to like Russian tubes, I suggest looking into tubes made by Reflector, they make great affordable tubes.
Either thetubestore.com or tube-store.com are great sources.

This is slightly off topic & keep in mind, I haven't tried it for reasons given above but the Cavalli Liquid Platinum seems definitely worth a shot. I have the CTH which is no way similar aside from using a single 6922 tube but does give you a good idea on how Cavalli tunes his amps.

I've got my 6N3P-DR from this site here. It's based in the Netherlands.

Direct url for the 6N3P-DR (scroll down. they're at the bottom)
https://www.tubesandrecords.com/pre-amplifier-tubes/ecc83-12ax7-5751-7025/

There's a nice range of tubes, including the above as matched pairs with variations on error % for the matching parameters.

Hope this might help.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #239 of 803
My Reflector 6N3P-DR valves arrived from Russia cpl days ago and without burning in there is still a marked improvement. The meanwell ps is now also a noticeable improvement over the stock ps with the new valves exposing what the stock valves could not. There is also an increase in volume, perhaps 4-6 db :)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #240 of 803
Hey so i foubd a pair of Western Electric Tubes for my p20. But one says Western Electric 2C51 and the other is Western Electric 396a. Both are compatible with the p20 and are sold together I can buy them right now for $50. Will these both work without problems ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back