Loxjie P20 Discussion- Starved for information on this thing!
Jan 1, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #257 of 806
AAA 789 is a very popular balanced amp - I'd love to know it compare with P20 - Is it four times better? ($400 vs $100)

@ephrank,

Subjectively & personally, it will depend on you, Oz dollar aside, tube VS solid aside, what kind of sound you looking for.
Personally, I like both but I lean towards the P20 as I like tubes & tube sound so for me, it's a no.
Honestly, if you're after trying a good highly affordable solid state amp, I suggest looking into the SMSL SP 200, which uses the THX 888 chip as opposed to the 789 chip in the Drop version.
Lowest noise floor in the THX lineup along with better Staging, Imaging, Clarity & also adds a nice warmth to sound overall.

Hope this makes sense & answers some questions.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #258 of 806

Thanks, your post makes a lot of sense. I'd love to read about the sonic differences between the P20 and (any one of the) THX amps, then I can decide whether to splash the cash or not. So far, I haven't come across such a forum post.

SMSL SP200 looks like the best bang for bucks SS amp at the moment (Price performance ratio is way above Drop 789). It's on my shopping list.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #259 of 806
Thanks, your post makes a lot of sense. I'd love to read about the sonic differences between the P20 and (any one of the) THX amps, then I can decide whether to splash the cash or not. So far, I haven't come across such a forum post.

SMSL SP200 looks like the best bang for bucks SS amp at the moment (Price performance ratio is way above Drop 789). It's on my shopping list.

No problem, @ephrank,

Glad to help, for value for money, hard to beat either P20 or SP 200 so you really can't go wrong with either.
They both have among the lowest noise floors in their respective classes, solid & tube I have heard so far.
But as said, it comes down to what you're after in sonics overall.
Since you're in Oz, you might want to look into the March Audio HPA-1, it's not officially listed on the site but it is available for sale.
Subjectively & personally, probably among the best, affordable solid state head amps I've come across which outperforms many other head amps, especially the pricey ones.

As to ongoing discussions about sonic differences, I suggest looking at the dedicated threads on SP 200 & 789, as usual for headfi, the amount of bickering & arguing going on is both sadly ridiculous & normal...for headfi.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #260 of 806
I have seen several folks comment on the positive impact of the upgraded power supply. I a have ordered two different ones and neither has a power jack that fits the P20.

could anyone suggest a specific inexpensive 12v 5 amp power supply that would work? Thank you!

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #261 of 806
@ephrank,

Subjectively & personally, it will depend on you, Oz dollar aside, tube VS solid aside, what kind of sound you looking for.
Personally, I like both but I lean towards the P20 as I like tubes & tube sound so for me, it's a no.
Honestly, if you're after trying a good highly affordable solid state amp, I suggest looking into the SMSL SP 200, which uses the THX 888 chip as opposed to the 789 chip in the Drop version.
Lowest noise floor in the THX lineup along with better Staging, Imaging, Clarity & also adds a nice warmth to sound overall.

From reading the specifications, I'm wondering whether the SP200 is actually a balanced amp - since they don't list separate, higher Balanced power output.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #262 of 806
From reading the specifications, I'm wondering whether the SP200 is actually a balanced amp - since they don't list separate, higher Balanced power output.

@DBaldock9,

Hard to say without opening the unit up which I have no desire to though you're welcome to get one to explore yourself.
As stated, definitely a worthy amp in its own right regardless.
As a general rule according to my experience, higher power output isn't an indication of Balanced circuitry & considering 3.5 mm plugs work on both outputs, I presume both sides are balanced.

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #263 of 806
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #264 of 806
@PaganDL @DBaldock9 SP200 is not true balanced, but dual-mono single ended as having isolated L/R amp sections.

p.s. HPA-1 is quite expensive and I'm not convinced about the lack of volume pot - Clicks and pops from the source would be amplified at full volume!

@jgriffter Make sure the DC connector is 5.5mm - 2.5mm (outer diameter - inner diameter).

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #265 of 806
@PaganDL @DBaldock9 SP200 is not true balanced, but dual-mono single ended as having isolated L/R amp sections.

p.s. HPA-1 is quite expensive and I'm not convinced about the lack of volume pot - Clicks and pops from the source would be amplified at full volume!

@ephrank,

Basically, by electrical engineering standards, as far as I'm aware though not a pro electrical &/or audio engineer though I do know & am friends with a few, dual mono with separated L & R channels is essentially the SAME as true balanced if not better.

HPA-1 is $500 AUD + Shipping though I got it for slightly less due to being promoted at the HiFi Show so it's not really that much more than SP200 after exchange as average in AUD for SP200 is up to $200 AUD difference against HPA-1 depending when one gets it, be it sale or not.
Honestly, couldn't care less about lack of volume pot on the HPA-1 as any volume control is done via source &/or other volume control, eg monitor controllor or dedicated volume dial.
Also, if you have clicks & pops, something is wrong with your setup but that's just my observation, the only noise I get is from the mains if nothing is playing, not to mention I listen at low levels.
There is also a 14 day trial so if it doesn't work for you, it's not hard to return nor shouldn't cost a lot to ship back to WA.

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #266 of 806

@jgriffter Make sure the DC connector is 5.5mm - 2.5mm (outer diameter - inner diameter).

The sure sign that an Amp is "fully" Balanced, from the XLR Inputs, to the XLR Output - is seeing a 4-gang Volume control, with one section for each of the "channels" (L+, L-, R+, R-).

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #267 of 806
The sure sign that an Amp is "fully" Balanced, from the XLR Inputs, to the XLR Output - is seeing a 4-gang Volume control, with one section for each of the "channels" (L+, L-, R+, R-).

@DBaldock9,

Certainly the most obvious way though as said, not about to open my unit up...
Be interested to know what you find if you ever get the SP200.

Also there are few balanced head amps which don't have pentiometers or volume pots so the wiring for that may be different but once again, haven't opened many to actually have a good look either way.

Jan 7, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #269 of 806
Dude I'm not sure why you keep telling Dave to buy a SP200 "cause that hot rodded P20 of his would smoke it for sure... and I'm as jealous as #*@% :)

If you're asking me this question, @Mark James Richardson...
I suggest you don't take things out of context...
I never asked him to do or buy anything, if you actually read the posts, there is actually a basic technical discussion ongoing...
Anyway, if you are really jealous, why don't you mod your own gear.
Personally & subjectively, I feel there is no need to mod or look into anything as it all works for me very well...
Since I'm more than happy with what I have, not to mention I don't have the space or easy access to some parts which were mentioned nor does it really bother me overall whether I need to take something apart just for the sake.
After all, modding is a part of this hobby which is interesting but can get overboard very quickly.

I respect a lot of people on headfi for various reasons, you're not helping with your post.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #270 of 806
Yes there is a technical discussion going on here and the importance of being fully balanced does not seem to be understood. The P20 is fully balanced and is the reason many of us are here. I love the fact I can run a cpl mic leads from my DAC and shift the P20 to where I want it. To over the other side of the room, into another room, out in the shed or onto the property next door if I wanted to. Ten, twenty or more than fifty metres from the DAC. Try that running unbalanced! Be lucky to get 2 metres before noise levels were unbearable.
Fully balanced has noticeably more gain and I shall leave the difference in sound quality as a given.
I LOVE the sound of this baby and I will hotrod the opamps.
However there is no hurry and I already spend way too much time with my P20 so it may be a project for this year or maybe next. Not sure. It will happen though and I will say that I will not upgrade from the hot rodded P20 until I have listened to better. Something that will trump it. In another post no one could suggest a contender. A Violectric V281 perhaps? Or perhaps the V281 will not trump it .... but that seems to be a good measuring stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back