Loxjie P20 Discussion- Starved for information on this thing!
Nov 24, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #213 of 804
Hey man what op amps and tubes do you recommend for this. Also I am buying XLR cables to balanced 2.5mm to my Fiio Q5 will that give me balanced output. Also can I run 6922 tubes in this.

Since the P20 is a hybrid amp, using tubes for the voltage gain, and op-amps for delivering the current to the load - I'm using OPA1622 high current op-amps (from eBay) in mine.
The 6922 is apparently compatible, but has a different pin-out, so you'll need adapters - https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tube-adapter-for-5670-2c51-396a-to-6922-6dj8-ecc88

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #216 of 804
How much of a difference does the op amps make. Also, would you consider the sa200 from douk audio or any boutique brands.

Interesting, lets throw the Burson V5 op amp into this mix as well...thoughts anyone? I like the idea of turning my P20 into a fully blown, nitro fuelled hotrod but I guess we need to know of any limiting factors for which diminishing returns may overwhelm improvement :)

Nov 25, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #217 of 804
How much of a difference does the op amps make. Also, would you consider the sa200 from douk audio or any boutique brands.

I hadn't heard about the Douk Audio HiFi SA200 (Dual Discrete Class A Op-Amp) until you mentioned it - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Douk-Audio...p-Module-Replace-MUSES02-SS3602-/273892617949
It does look interesting, and well made, from the photos on the eBay site.
The SA200 ($82) is about the same price as the Sparkos SS3602 ($83), and more expensive than the Burson V6 (Classic or Vivid) ($75).
Currently, my favorite op-amps are - Sparkos SS3602, Dual OPA627AU on DIP-8 adapter, Burson V6, OPA1622 on DIP-8 adapter.

Nov 26, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #219 of 804
Dave your fav op amps you listed, I presume are in relation to rolling in the P20 is that correct?

No, I mean overall. The only Dual op-amps that I have 4 of (to use in the P20), are the stock JRC 5532D, various other NE5532, LME49720HA, & OPA1622.

Nov 26, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #223 of 804
Also does anyone know if I could do RCA in the back then use the xlr in the front and use the balance feature
Yes, you can. That was my setup. Results in wider soundstage.

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #224 of 804
Also does anyone know if I could do RCA in the back then use the xlr in the front and use the balance feature

Yes. You have the option of selecting either Input (Single-Ended / Balanced), and either Output (Single-Ended / Balanced), using the multi-function Knob / Button.

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #225 of 804
So I have now had the P20 for 11 days and HD6xx cans for 4 days. Added a meanwell ps (improvement subtle at best...further listening perhaps required) and awaiting a Periapt balanced cable to arrive and a pair each of GE 5570, 6N3p-DR and 6N3P-E valves. Spotify listening mostly, some vinyl/ reel to reel, balanced in using a Metric Halo ULN8 for conversion. Ok.... even with the stock valves the P20 sounds phenomenal. This baby is a valve amp to be sure. My buddy has a Pioneer stereo valve amp and I was immediately taken back to it by the P20's bottom end. But not as slow and muddy as the Pioneer. This hybrid is a wonderful blend. Expect a few hrs burn in time and then ya golden. I have had a Fender valve amp and know how much difference valves make. To think this little beast will sound better is hard to believe but we shall see. If the sound improves or not I am very happy as it stands but I'm sure there will be improvement and literally can't wait for my new valves to get here. Re. gain staging I run the P20 flat out and volume control from the source, not always possible eg cd players but cleaner detail and better bottom end can be expected. I am so lmpressed I'm not sure now that I will opamp roll. Mind you I did buy the torx screwdriver today required to take this thing apart so we shall see.... The P20 would now have a 100 hrs on it at least with leaving on overnight etc but sometimes I still feel like the sound is improving. The Loxjie P20 just keeps on giving. Stoked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back