Low profile, excellent sound headphones (similar to etymotic er6)
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RDUBiker

New Head-Fier
Hey all - I've been using etymotic ER6 (and hf2) for years and love  them. I ride a motorcycle and need something very low profile (i.e. doesn't stick out of my ear too far due to helmet ear pads) and my ER6 have finally bitten the dust. Short of finding an old set still left somewhere, can you recommend something low profile that sounds good that would work?

The hf2 sound great but stick out too far for comfort.

Thanks,
Brian

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 10
HiFiMan RE400?  They are actually quite low profile in my small ears if you insert them deep enough.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Hey all - I've been using etymotic ER6 (and hf2) for years and love  them. I ride a motorcycle and need something very low profile (i.e. doesn't stick out of my ear too far due to helmet ear pads) and my ER6 have finally bitten the dust. Short of finding an old set still left somewhere, can you recommend something low profile that sounds good that would work?

The hf2 sound great but stick out too far for comfort.

Thanks,
Brian

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-278-iems-compared-astrotec-am-800-dx-60-added-03-31-13-p-659

The HF2s insert VERY deep and I've never found the HF5/3 to have stuck out that greatly, even with a helmet on. How far into the canal are you inserting them? Do you feel as if you could go more before it potentially starts to go overboard (I'd be very careful when testing that though, full disclaimer). 

Otherwise if you still can't get a deep enough fit, and you don't mind a lack of warranty due to the company's earphone section closing down, the PFE012s might be at least worth a look into. Shallow insertion, as you can see the shells are rather flat and small, sits very nice and snug in the ear. Sound sig is balanced, with crisp notes, think a more delicate HF5/3/2/what have you.

May 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the advice so far. TwinQY, I also appreciate the links to those threads. They don't seem to mention physical size as a comparison factor as far as length from tip to end/wire, but I will read them over more carefully soon.  Usually people don't seem to care about size, only sound quality and comfort.

For some reason, even with full insertion (to the point of almost pain), the ER6 would rub on the speakers I installed for my Scala Rider G9 unit. They were fine before that, but the speakers (about 3-4mm thick and placed directly over the earbuds) are just thick enough to push on the earbuds and cause me a problem after a couple hours of riding. We tend to ride for 12-14 hours a day so I really want something very small that blocks the most amount of outside sound, is comfortable (for me that means foam tips), and sounds decent. I know, I'm asking a lot.

May 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 10
After extensive reading and looking at specs and photos, I decided on the RE-400. They fit even better than the ER6 I had for years and sound incredible. Thanks for all the advice.

Quick question, and this may be stupid, but what are the tiny round circular felt looking things for that came on a small white sheet? 

May 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
After extensive reading and looking at specs and photos, I decided on the RE-400. They fit even better than the ER6 I had for years and sound incredible. Thanks for all the advice.

Quick question, and this may be stupid, but what are the tiny round circular felt looking things for that came on a small white sheet? 

isnt that the cable wrapper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back