Low End to High end DAP opinion , impression , appreciation and comparison thread
Dec 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

rudi0504

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All my head Fi friends

Please share your low End to high end DAP opinion , impression and appreciation here .

In between 3 years are so many low end to high end DAP from all over the world coming to serve portable audiophile Sound Quality fans .

I would like to make this thread , that all Head Fi Friends can share to each other their experience here .

Maybe we can help each other which DAP is the right one for us

Sometimes so confuse from so many new DAPs on the market which ones shall we buy , specially for friends who far from The stores live , they can not test the DAPs , like they buy cats in the sacks

I hope all can share their opinion , impression , appreciation and comparison here

Here are my personal DAPs collection

From left to right :
IBasso DX 50 > AK 100 final audio design edition > AK 120 > Sony WM ZX 1 > IBasso Hibino HDP R10 japan version

28e12e073f5cd637957a9233aa4449c9_zps7cf15040.jpg

I will share later the comparison between all my DAPs collection

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 33
I really appreciate my HM-901 with balanced card. I can drive every headphone off it except for the HE-6 with great results. That's a pretty rare feat. Plus, I am looking forward to the docking station to be released so I can stream via WiFi to a different room :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 33
My goal here is only as pure or stand alone DAPs sound quality comparison

I use seldom my DAPs as stand alone , normally I pair with my portable amps

Today I done the comparison from 5 DAPs first like in my picture above

My Music file : all WAV format 16 Bit / 44,1 KHz
Iem : Sony XBA H 3

In term of SQ , clarity , transparency , detail , separation , soundstage , bass impact

Here are my ranked DAPs as follow

Sony Walkman WM ZX 1
AK 100 final audio design edition Japan
IBasso HDP R 10 Hibino Japan Edition
AK 120
IBasso DX 50

In term of Power :

IBasso HDP R 10 Hibino Japan Edition
IBasso DX 50
AK 120
AK 100 final audio design edition Japan
Sony Walkman WM ZX 1

Note :
For fair comparison I use the same memory card with the same songs
Except for Sony WM ZX 1 must use internal memory card
I haven't compare use others iems and iems , can be different sq

IMO

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 33
This is an interesting thread - subscribed...

I look forward to seeing what people use (I'm using my humble Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - capable of MQS, but am sure not in the same league as the big boys!)

For clarity rudi - Are your rankings that the top is the best, or the bottom? - For SQ - am surprised to see the AK120 languishing near the bottom, so - just making sure (so that everyone can follow the same logic)...

Thanks, and - keep up the good work - looking forward to how this thread progresses :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 33
This is an interesting thread - subscribed...

I look forward to seeing what people use (I'm using my humble Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - capable of MQS, but am sure not in the same league as the big boys!)

For clarity rudi - Are your rankings that the top is the best, or the bottom? - For SQ - am surprised to see the AK120 languishing near the bottom, so - just making sure (so that everyone can follow the same logic)...

Thanks, and - keep up the good work - looking forward to how this thread progresses :)

Thank you

IMO the clarity , detail and separation are very important
My AK 100 is for second time I own
My friends love their AK 100 more than AK 120
That's why some of my friends , they done mod for their AK 100 more than AK 120
If you have a chance please do the comparison between these two AKs

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 33
Hi guys, Im looking to get a DAP as a starter bearing in mind that I have got the ATH-M50, Minerva Mi-1 and a custom UM 3DD incoming. IIRC Rudi had much praises for the 3DD, just wondering which one would be best to pair up with the UM 3DD? Any thoughts?

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 33
Hi guys, Im looking to get a DAP as a starter bearing in mind that I have got the ATH-M50, Minerva Mi-1 and a custom UM 3DD incoming. IIRC Rudi had much praises for the 3DD, just wondering which one would be best to pair up with the UM 3DD? Any thoughts?

Um 3 DD is bright and detail sounding iem , it is better if you pair with DAPs that not so bright

The best is IBasso HDP R 10 , you can use with your headphone

Or the other small one is

AK 120 , but the power is not so big to drive headphones , I don't know about your Minerva Mi - 1
Ath M 50 is low impedance headphone can pair with AK 120

Or the new Sony WM ZX 1 is very good pair with um 3 DD

IMO

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 33
I just received my Iphone 5s yesterday night , until now Iphone 4 S is the best from all iPhone series I have .

Out the box Iphone 5 S sound quality is very good .

I haven't done briefly comparison between these two

As apple fan boy I bought every time Iphone came out the new model Except iPhone 5 , because IPhone 5 sound Quality was below my 4 G and 4 S.

Here is the answer for the volume between Iphone 4 S and 5 S:

Like you see in my picture , I use the same music file

At the Same volume level these two phone have almost the same loud with the same hp out

iPhone 4 s only slightly Lauder not that much

This is the reason I bought iPhone 5 s , because of the sq and volume

Note : I haven't tested the speaker out , how loud can produce the iPhone 5s , because I need to buy screen protector first
And I just play last than 5 hours

Sq comparison I will post later

IMO

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 33
I have the Archos DVR500 Ipod Classic 160 GB Colorfly C3 AK100 DX100 & Colorfly C4 Pro and Note 2.

Power : C4 Pro
DX100
AK100
Ipod Classic
Archos
Note 2

Sound Quality

Unsure between AK100 C4 Pro and DX100

Useability
Note 2
AK100

Battery
Note 2
Archos
Ipod Classic
AK100
C4 Pro
DX100

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #10 of 33
I have the Archos DVR500 Ipod Classic 160 GB Colorfly C3 AK100 DX100 & Colorfly C4 Pro and Note 2.

Power : C4 Pro
DX100
AK100
Ipod Classic
Archos
Note 2

Sound Quality

Unsure between AK100 C4 Pro and DX100

Useability
Note 2
AK100

Battery
Note 2
Archos
Ipod Classic
AK100
C4 Pro
DX100

Wow you have so many DAP too, congrats
Which DAP is your favorite DAP now ?

Dec 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 33
Well my ibasso dx100 has pretty much obliterated everything I have owned in terms of sound quality. I have owned or borrowed from my brother on a regular basis ipod classic 6th gen, ipod touch 2nd gen and 4th gen, clip zip+, and the ibasso DX100. Many people rank the Clip Zip+ above the ipods, but honestly there is a really muddy quality to my zip using FLAC 16/44.1 files. Maybe I just have not played with the eq setting enough to really fix the muddy quality. I know if I do not turn the bass down by one the bass is overpowering. The classic was the worst sounding of all the daps. My brother will be receiving a DX50 in the mail soon, so I am excited to hear what that sounds like. Sadly my dx100 is in japan atm for repair after being dropped so I cant do a direct comparison between the 2 Daps.

My rankings would be from best to worst- Dx100, clip zip+ = ipod touch 2nd and 5th gen, ipod classic.

Headphones I used on these daps- ATH M50, V moda M80, Woody SR60i w/SPC recable, Westone 2, and Mad Dog V3.2.

The only thing I have to add is using my IEMs can be weird when it comes to sq. While I still prefer my DX100 for IEMs, it was not that huge of an boost in sq when compared to using a full sized headphone. When using a headphone (even easy to drive headphones) most of these daps become night and day differences when compared to the Dx100 imo. The DX100 made a lot of my headphones really come to life including the M80s becoming a massive upgrade. The clarity of the M80s just seemed to greatly increase, while on every other dap I have found them muddy and creating an poor listening experience.

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 33
Was wondering if anyone could compare/contrast the iBasso HDP R10, AK AK100 Mk2 and SonNW-ZX1 for iem use?

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #14 of 33
I have the 901 with balanced card, Tera player and ZX1. I used to own the DX100, AK100 stage 2 mod and AK120. To me synergy with a given iem is critical.

In terms of SQ, I think the 901 balanced card is the best. It pairs well with everthing, even if volume control lacks precision with iems.

The DX100 was not far off as I remember, but too large.

The AK120 I am not a fan of the sig, it is too warm and lacks airiness. The ZX1 is opposite, a bit cold and very open sounding. If you add a great UI and battery life, it is a great all rounder.

Of course I love the Tera, it is a magic combination with the SE5 and to a lesser extent the 1plus2.

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #15 of 33
My first proper DAP was a Cowon D2+, I loved the sound, but the interface was a nightmare.
My second was a Cowon J3, I loved the sound even more, and the interface was better, more just a bad dream...
My third, and current, DAP is the IBasso DX-100. The sound is significantly better than the predecessors in every department and though the interface gets a fair amount of stick, compared to what I was used to, it's a dream...

so my order is:

DX-100 > Cowon J3 > Cowon D2+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back