Low End to High end DAP opinion , impression , appreciation and comparison thread
Dec 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #16 of 33
My problem if you can call it that with the HiFiMAN is no EQ and the problem I have with the iBasso is not being able to use it at home.  Both lack USB charging I believe which also makes using them morning to night... difficult.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #18 of 33
Wow you have so many DAP too, congrats
Which DAP is your favorite DAP now ?

The dx100 is protected with a plastic film so I use it outdoors. The c4 pro is what I use indoors. The ak100 is the easiest to connect as a dac to my laptop so that's how I use it often.
It's early to tell for certain but the DX100 has a more dynamic sound, the C4 is a smooth sound and the AK100 retaons elements of both sound characteristics but is much more picky as to which headphone or iem.
All of them are utter bliss with the HD800's. No, none of these daps need amping to drive the HD800's.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 33
AK100mk2 > AK100 > X3 > Colorfly C3 >/= iPod Nano 7g

Hoping Vinnie will manage to liase with Listrid to get a firmware working with his mod, might be tempted to jump on the RWAK120-S then :wink:

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #21 of 33
My goal here is only as pure or stand alone DAPs sound quality comparison

I use seldom my DAPs as stand alone , normally I pair with my portable amps

Today I done the comparison from 5 DAPs first like in my picture above

My Music file : all WAV format 16 Bit / 44,1 KHz
Iem : Sony XBA H 3

In term of SQ , clarity , transparency , detail , separation , soundstage , bass impact

Here are my ranked DAPs as follow

Sony Walkman WM ZX 1
AK 100 final audio design edition Japan
IBasso HDP R 10 Hibino Japan Edition
AK 120
IBasso DX 50

In term of Power :

IBasso HDP R 10 Hibino Japan Edition
IBasso DX 50
AK 120
AK 100 final audio design edition Japan
Sony Walkman WM ZX 1

Note :
For fair comparison I use the same memory card with the same songs
Except for Sony WM ZX 1 must use internal memory card
I haven't compare use others iems and iems , can be different sq

IMO

rudi so you thought the zx 1 and fa ak100 have better sound than the ak120?, since i am interessted in the zx 1

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #25 of 33
If i am not wrong you like less bright sound and you like forward sound too than For sure you like AK 120
Sony WM ZX 1 is detail and sound is to Brite Site

thank you rudi, at least i know which of the iems and headphone i woulddnt pair with it, i so far liked the ak series and the dx50 from what i have listened to

May 2, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #26 of 33
This thread is ahead of the curve. I have been so disappointed with Sony.... backing out on Walkman Z in the states(sold out before BlackFriday and I was waiting on BlackFriday deal to get one).  I am still using Sony Walkman X(its keeping me alive), but I am getting heavier into audio.  This NW-ZX1 looks very interesting but $760 dollar price tag is very shocking(I was thinking I will never own Astell and Kern now I must sacrifice graphics card price for DAP? Can components inside really justify this pricetag?).  You never answer the question which sound better in the photo....  Hmm I thought Astell and Kern were out of my reach but now you are saying Sony is owning Astell and Kern? Is it capable of 24 bit 192khz? Even without it is still better? Can anyone compare these high end daps to hifiman or has hifiman fallen from grace and now ibasso is superior?  Sorry It has been some years since I have looked at DAPs because I have been robbed by Sony Walkman Z.  I wish Sony would also add support for Internet Radio over wifi because that is my crack these days.  Other than this I have little to complain about on the Walkman X(and lack of formats).  What is maximum format of ZX1?

May 2, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #27 of 33
For me my best players in SQ are all dedicated daps.  Mobile phones just don't come close even with IEMs.

Currently burning in a couple of them but the standing is:

AK240>DX100>DX90>DX50>Z1070

Also have a Chord Hugo mostly for pc use but if I pair with some of these daps it improves the SQ considerably.

May 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #28 of 33
For me my best players in SQ are all dedicated daps.  Mobile phones just don't come close even with IEMs.

Currently burning in a couple of them but the standing is:

AK240>DX100>DX90>DX50>Z1070

Also have a Chord Hugo mostly for pc use but if I pair with some of these daps it improves the SQ considerably.

I have almost like you , minus DX 90 and Z 1050

AK 240 > HDP 10 > AK 120 Titan mod = Sony ZX1 > AK 100 > hi sound studio V 3rd Edition > DX. 50

May 3, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #29 of 33
I have almost like you , minus DX 90 and Z 1050

AK 240 > HDP 10 > AK 120 Titan mod = Sony ZX1 > AK 100 > hi sound studio V 3rd Edition > DX. 50

Right now I'm happy with the AK240 as my dap but starting to get pangs for a better earphone.  I'm using a UE18 with balanced cable and have ordered a custom Roxanne.  Browsing for an alternate in the meantime.  Habe considered the UERM or the VE6 XC.  Have you tried any other IEM with the AK240 that have nice synergy?

May 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #30 of 33
ColdFlo, if getting an Android based DAP, just download an app off of the playstore for internet radio :)

Selling point of the ZX1 is the 24/192, but needs an amp to sound good :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back