Low-end IEMs under $30 for Electronica and Trance music!
Jun 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

TranceFan

New Head-Fier

Hello! I came to this site some time back for assistance in finding a set of closed cans, and I’m still grateful for the plethora of good advice given to me. I’m hoping I can, once again, rely on you trusty Head-Fi’ers to give me some words of wisdom on some IEM’s I’m looking for!

-Currently using: Sony MDR-EX082’s – they came free with an MP3 player I bought two years ago, and I absolutely love these. The reason I’m looking for a new set of IEM’s is because the cable near the jack got accidentally yanked a year back; despite wrapping that part up in duct tape on several different occasions, I still need to do some daily adjustments to get the cord in juuusttt the right position to get the full range of sound in both ears.
-Will be using these on: my work computer – an old HP Compaq 8100 with a Realtek HD Audio Output – no amplifier or anything. Just pluggin’ em in and listening away! The noise levels in my work environment are quiet to moderate, but isolation is always a big plus for me. Usually streaming music through RealPlayer. 
-Music genre: primarily electronica (trance, progressive, house, chillout) with the occasional old-school gangster rap thrown in there. As you might guess, I’m quite a fan of the bass but wouldn’t want the mids/highs to be too underwhelmed (I love the melodies in trance).
-Price range: VERY low, for two reasons – I’m on an extremely limited budget (gotta love the student life), and I’m pretty sure I can get what I’m looking for without having to spend a bundle – remember, I'm totally happy with the MDR-EX082’s and they sell for like $15. To give you guys a hard number, I’d want to spend less than $30 for these IEM’s. I *might* be willing to be slightly flexible with this cutoff, only if it comes w/ a drastic quality improvement.  
-Volume level: I tend to listen at a low to mid volume level, so any imperfections in sound quality after cranking up the volume to max won’t apply to me.
-Other desired attributes: something durable and comfortable (will be wearing them quite a bit on a daily basis), and relatively easy to take on/off (since I have to talk w/ people fairly often).

My research online and from these forums points me towards a few choices, all of which I’ve found for prices within my spending limit. I’d be more than grateful if you could let me know your opinions on them, and if there are any other solid models I happened to look over. Thanks in advance, guys!

-Lenntek Sonix
-MEElectronics M6 / MEElectronics M9
-Visang R01 

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 23
the m9's are okay, but very, very fit dependent. if you can't get a good fit, the sound is absolutely terrible. i know that's a given on most iem's, but it was exponentially worse on the m9's than any other iem's i've tried. they are very bass-heavy with decent treble. if you like a lotttt of bass, they'll be good. i don't know about the m6's.

another option would be v-moda vibe. amazon has them listed in a few colors for $20-30 in a couple colors. i had them, and they're much better than the meelec's, imo. the m9's would get really lost in busy tracks, but the vibes keep up well. they're also very bassy.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
JVC FX67...my personal favorite under 30 bucks.  There is an entire thread on them.

Thanks for the suggestion - they got some pretty good reviews from what I saw. How are they especially on electronica music? Were there any problems with fitting? 

Quote:
the m9's are okay, but very, very fit dependent. if you can't get a good fit, the sound is absolutely terrible. i know that's a given on most iem's, but it was exponentially worse on the m9's than any other iem's i've tried. they are very bass-heavy with decent treble. if you like a lotttt of bass, they'll be good. i don't know about the m6's.

another option would be v-moda vibe. amazon has them listed in a few colors for $20-30 in a couple colors. i had them, and they're much better than the meelec's, imo. the m9's would get really lost in busy tracks, but the vibes keep up well. they're also very bassy.

If I wasn't able to fit them well, is it possible to buy another set of tips and fit them on? I actually don't know at all if this is common practice with IEMs. Thanks for the suggestion for the v-moda vibe, will definitely look into that. 

Any other suggestions / comments? Thanks again for the input!

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 23
My new JVC FXC51 ($25) have actually got me into vocal trance mixes. They might not be as smooth as my FX67 but I love their energy with this music especially. My IEM experience is limited, so take this with a grain of salt but I am shocked that I am this pleased with these IEMs. I wish someone with more experience would buy these and review them.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
Get the DUNU Trident's at $35.

My guess is that we will be hearing a lot more about the DUNU Tridents soon. I am listening to A State Of Trance (Armin van Buuren) right now with my Tridents and I am super impressed! I got the entire DUNU line-up as a treat for myself. I can tell you that so far, the Tridents are my favourite (the hephaes are still burning in). At $35, you are getting what is IMO, the best bang for buck IEM on the market right now in the sub-$60 range!

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion - they got some pretty good reviews from what I saw. How are they especially on electronica music? Were there any problems with fitting? 

Re. electronica: I'm listening to the very trancey/electronic-ish Ghost In The Shell soundtrack on 67s now. They're doing a superb job - I've left the album on repeat play for hours.

Re. fitting: you get 3 or 4 sets of tips. One set fit my rather earholes, another - very unusually - my gf's tiny ears. You shouldn't have a problem.

The 67s respond very well to EQ, which shouldn't be a problem on a computer. Isolation is B-grade, at least.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 23
CX300II's get a vote from me

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #10 of 23
I know, i know it is still the same advice, but really it deserve it, and the product will need more words than this following :

Dunu Trident ! They are the ones i was searching for a long time. To tell you, i use at home A Marantz CR-603 hifi system to connect my iPad wireless, with a wonderful pair of Triangle Zeta Speakers, so this is a really high end audio quality product, and to be true on my words, i spent all my money on the system, and needed to find a true and no expensive earphones, when i disconnect my iPad and iPhone off my home Hifi to move outside. The Trident are as we said here in my country a DELICE...

My Musical files selection and preference goes by : deadmau5 (brazil 2nd edition, i remember, you and i (wow), strobe (2xwow), underworld (beaucoup fish, everything everything live, etc...), the best album of Air : pocket Symphony (electronic easy, and beautiful, kind of classical music of the 21th century), some Jaytech (everything is ok), Thriller album (unforgetable), Funk Anthems, and of course Junkie XL (from Netherlands, today album, radio jxl album etc...)

Have to try them, no risk for the price to pay, they are dynamic, colored, open, airy, pefect highs to me.

I had few stuff like sennheiser (cx300, hd400, px200...), creative stuff, (Aurvana, Ep630..) some Ultimate Ears (can't remember the model, a one before logitech buy), some Philips earphones, a pair of Sony Ex-500, a Soundmagic PL30, manie, manies, manies, and Strangely, i bought one day a pair of Logitech earphones ( a model bought in the big distribution, before they bought UE, in Carrefour market, findable in the Psp side of the store, neodymium made) 20€, they were to me the great signature, and exactly what i was searching in terms of sound reproduction...20€!!! Never found as good as these Logitech, expept 3 weeks ago when i bought the Trident. What much to say, the sound is beautiful. It is like Sennheiser to me, but re enforced, more solid, more clear, more intelligent, more solid yes one more time. I like the V Shapped signature (lows and highs solid, but not excessive like the Hippos or the Meelec)...

Try them, really, see how many words i write for such a in expensive model, they deserve my energy for real.

To me once again, these earphones are the best for the price, and to me you won't find better for the price. They cost 1/3 less than they will have to cost if they were a known brand.

Gregory - France.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
My new JVC FXC51 ($25) have actually got me into vocal trance mixes. They might not be as smooth as my FX67 but I love their energy with this music especially. My IEM experience is limited, so take this with a grain of salt but I am shocked that I am this pleased with these IEMs. I wish someone with more experience would buy these and review them.

Done.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #12 of 23
Sep 27, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
I know, i know it is still the same advice, but really it deserve it, and the product will need more words than this following :

Dunu Trident !
Gregory - France.

I totally agree. The DUNU Tridents are something special in the sub-$50 space. They  are great on ALL aspects...sound quality, build quality, accessories and price.

As someone who pretty much listens to trance all the time, the DUNU are very compatible with trance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back