Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Aug 21, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #6,961 of 9,223
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtQP5Qr

Anyone know if the earhooks on these types of cables (earhook is actually part of the cable sleeving, it's not its own sleeving) can be heated up and made straight?
If you are saying that there is no additional heatshrink, then the wire sleeving itself was most likely heat formed into the earhook shape. If that's the case, then you should be able to re-heat it and reform it to be straight. Then again, it's all of $4.00 wasted if it doesn't work out.

I have often re-heated the heat shrink type earhooks and reformed them into a shape I liked better. I tape them down to a countertop in the curve that I want them and apply just enough heat to soften the plastic shrink. Once they cool off they retain the new shape. I would think there is a good chance that it would also work on that cable. But again, it's only $4.00 if it doesnt.

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #6,962 of 9,223
If you are saying that there is no additional heatshrink, then the wire sleeving itself was most likely heat formed into the earhook shape. If that's the case, then you should be able to re-heat it and reform it to be straight. Then again, it's all of $4.00 wasted if it doesn't work out.

I have often re-heated the heat shrink type earhooks and reformed them into a shape I liked better. I tape them down to a countertop in the curve that I want them and apply just enough heat to soften the plastic shrink. Once they cool off they retain the new shape. I would think there is a good chance that it would also work on that cable. But again, it's only $4.00 if it doesnt.
I do not like the heatshrink on the earhooks. If it were up to me I would do away with them all together. For instance the Kbear 24 core doesn't have the heatshrink over the earhook cabling. The cabling just falls right over the ear and seems to disappear from behind the ear.

On the heatshrink earhooks I find that I can feel them to some degree because of them being rigid and stiff. So if I move my head one way or the other I feel them touch my ears. Bothersome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210821-113844.jpg
    Screenshot_20210821-113844.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #6,963 of 9,223
I do not like the heatshrink on the earhooks. If it were up to me I would do away with them all together. For instance the Kbear 24 core doesn't have the heatshrink over the earhook cabling. The cabling just falls right over the ear and seems to disappear from behind the ear.

On the heatshrink earhooks I find that I can feel them to some degree because of them being rigid and stiff. So if I move my head one way or the other I feel them touch my ears. Bothersome.
You can always cut the heat shrink off. Maybe just leave a little bit near the connector for strain relief. Personally, I like the heat shrink formed earhooks but sometimes need to re-shape them. Also, I've cut the heat shrink shorter on a couple of cables because it was ridiculously long. Just gotta be careful. Those rippers made for cutting through sewing thread ... I think they're called seam rippers ... they work pretty well with the thin walled heat shrink that they usually use for the earhooks.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #6,965 of 9,223
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtQP5Qr

Anyone know if the earhooks on these types of cables (earhook is actually part of the cable sleeving, it's not its own sleeving) can be heated up and made straight?
I haven't tried that particular cable, but my method is to boil a kettle (remove your iem's from the cables before proceeding) then simply dip the ear hook portion of the cable into a mug of the freshly boiled water for 5-10 seconds, remove from the water and while they're still soft I bend them to the shape I want (I just do this by hand) and hold them in that position for about 30 seconds to give them a chance to cool and 'set' into my preferred shape.
Works a treat.

I might try my method combined with your tape approach next time to save holding them while they cool 👍

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #6,966 of 9,223
a few more...

NiceHCK C24-2 24 Core Silver Plated Copper Alloy $20 on sale. Cable looks stunning and feels good. Makes KBEar expansion look boring. Slightly rubbery texture but a top recommendation for cables without heat shrinks. 0.20 ohm on both sides.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002002015076.html
32a45aaa7a38eb36bfb823c24fe2c4c7.jpg

HAKUGEI Litz silver plated 5NOCC, at around $20-$30 depending on where you buy from, the cheapest hakugei cable i believe. It looks like 2 cores from afar but it's actually a thin 8 core twisted to look like 2 cores. Reminds me of azul cable but softer and thicker. Really flexible and light, comes with angled 2 pin for that ergonomics and looks. 0.26ohm. I would recommend if light af and ergonomic is what you are looking for.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002702039052.html
d30ff797b041168a56c6357d8c665a41_tn.jpg

NICEHCK LitzOCC 4N Litz OCC around $10-15 that I dug out recently. Isn't bad for the price, but quite bland looking. Almost looks like the 7N copper from XinHS but slightly brighter. 0.29ohms
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001585790927.html
5692140164aef3fb79d2942d8562e5ad.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #6,968 of 9,223
Any recommendations on a decent MMCX - 2.5mm balanced cable that's long enough for desktop use (6ft-ish)?

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #6,970 of 9,223
I was very interested in having a cable as thin and light as possible while still having good impedance as I cannot stand heavy cables on my ears. Faael and Hakugei copper are pretty light but still I try to go even lighter. I realized I did not have a thin 8 core configuration in my collection as most 8 core chifi cables lean towards thick.
So this cable from Shop5496037 caught my eye. It's just under $50 which I guess it still qualifies as budget XD? Usually this kind of thin 8 core configuration is only seen on more expensive cables more than $100? (I did find a cheaper option but it was really obscure) This also reminds me of the default QDC VX cable (costing more than $100) which I was impressed by during a demo of VX. Anyway this cable is thin af and almost weightless. I did get a scare when one channel measured 4ohms and the right side sounded louder than the left, but after using it for a few seconds, the channels magically balanced out. I re-measured again and got 0.16ohms. Maybe some rust or impurities on the connector during the measurement? I think I'll just give the supplier the benefit of doubt and assume I somehow introduced the impurity. Measured 0.16 ohm on all channels, which is awesome for something so thin. The 8 cores are weaved tightly and feels premium.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000016679895.html
7nocc-single-crystal-copper-8-core-upgrade-wire-MMCX-0-78-2pin-2-5-balance-3.jpg

RIP my phone photos never do anything justice. Oh yea you can choose from a variety of cable hardware from the supplier, similar range to cema
20210825_174010.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #6,971 of 9,223
I was very interesting in having a cable as thin and light as possible while still having good impedance as I cannot stand heavy cables on my ears. Faael and Hakugei copper are pretty light but still I try to go even lighter. I realized I did not have a thin 8 core configuration in my collection as most 8 core chifi cables lean towards thick.
So this cable from Shop5496037 caught my eye. It's just under $50 which I guess it still qualifies as budget XD? Usually this kind of thin 8 core configuration is only seen on more expensive cables more than $100? (I did find a cheaper option but it was really obscure) This also reminds me of the default QDC VX cable (costing more than $100) which I was impressed by during a demo of VX. Anyway this cable is thin af and almost weightless. I did get a scare when one channel measured 4ohms and the right side sounded louder than the left, but after using it for a few seconds, the channels magically balanced out. I re-measured again and got 0.16ohms. Maybe some rust or impurities on the connector during the measurement? I think I'll just give the supplier the benefit of doubt and assume I somehow introduced the impurity. Measured 0.16 ohm on all channels, which is awesome for something so thin. The 8 cores are weaved tightly and feels premium.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000016679895.html
7nocc-single-crystal-copper-8-core-upgrade-wire-MMCX-0-78-2pin-2-5-balance-3.jpg

RIP my phone photos never do anything justice. Oh yea you can choose from a variety of cable hardware from the supplier, similar range to cema
20210825_174010.jpg
Ohh yeah I was asking abt this store a short while ago and Rikudou confirmed that it is related to Cema. Some of their cables do look really nice!

On another note, I used to work part-time at a headphone store before and learnt from my regular seniors that connectors sometimes have a thin layer of protection on them when they are brand new. This is why we used to either insert and extract them repeatedly or twist them around (depending on connector type) before testing them for the customer to see if they are faulty

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #6,972 of 9,223
Aug 25, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #6,973 of 9,223
General question, is there a best practice for matching cable materials with headphones based on the headphone's impedance? Specifically, would it be beneficial to get a silver cable (which as I understand tends to be more detailed and faster at the expense of warmth) for a high-impedance set of cans (Sextetts - 600 ohm)?

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #6,974 of 9,223
Aug 25, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #6,975 of 9,223
Btw, please vote in this poll, its about which connector type (2.5, 3.5, 4.4mm) you prefer.

https://strawpoll.com/e26bouw17
Definitely 4.4mm. I think 2.5mm should be completely done away with. Simply remove the 2.5mm output from all devices which will save cost and for the time being include a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back