Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Sep 27, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #5,012 of 9,204
New cable from Tri, the 4 core SPC "Through".
1601237789750.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001514590570.html

Looks pretty nice at least. Wonder how it measures...

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #5,014 of 9,204
Damn, but it looks nice. And it's thick, too. Sort of reminds me of the Hibiscus.

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #5,015 of 9,204
Damn, but it looks nice. And it's thick, too. Sort of reminds me of the Hibiscus.
Exactly, like a silver hibiscus cable. (and I absolutely love silver, visually speaking :joy:)

Sep 28, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #5,016 of 9,204
Personally, I stay away from cables with a mic or controller in the signal path for signal purity reasons. It doesn't make alot of sense to me to spend money for an upgrade cable that's using higher grade wire and connectors, just to diminish those sonic benefits by slapping a 30 cent controller with a mic in between.

An update to this, after doing more research it looks like a mic/controller won't affect anything. I had some discussion elsewhere and seems this is a safe conclusion that ties in with my instincts. To be clear on a TRRS jack (standard four pole 3.5mm) the mic and headphone positive signal wires are separate and won't interfere with each other. They do share the ground but this doesn't affect anything. So its down to aesthetics. There's no engineering reason to not to have a .39c mic on a schwanky copper cable.

I'm planning on building one as soon as supplies arrive, if i can ever find a seller for decent three button inline mics.

Sep 28, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #5,017 of 9,204
Hi here,
I got my first IEM, being a TFZ no.3. I am hoping to find an after market cable that would fit this. Does anyone have any examples of appropriate ones that would fit? Preferably something good quality. I hear not all IEM cables will fit this model. Any help appreciated :)

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #5,018 of 9,204
Hi here,
I got my first IEM, being a TFZ no.3. I am hoping to find an after market cable that would fit this. Does anyone have any examples of appropriate ones that would fit? Preferably something good quality. I hear not all IEM cables will fit this model. Any help appreciated :)
Something like the KBEAR Rhyme will work. Just make sure to buy it with the “TFZ“ connector, unless you want to use a traditional 2 pin connector (it would extend out further from the ear piece). https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001244591805.html.

The FAAEAL copper cable is also often recommended. It seems it may only come with the traditional 2 pin connector, and not available with the TFZ conmector. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000400771561.html.

You can usually save a decent amount of money if you wait for the next AliExpress sale.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #5,020 of 9,204
Sep 28, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #5,022 of 9,204
Hi here,
I also own the No.3. I've had it for over 1.5 years. This iem benefits from a good SPC cable or a pure silver cable to help control the bass and tighten it up a bit. The KBEAR Rhyme is a good choice, as is the Nicehck silver 4 core, which I currently have on my No.3. KBEAR has an identical version called the Limpid. For the best fit for the 2 pin 0.78 connectors that go to the iem itself; I rec the Nicehck cables because the more squared off connectors on the cable connector ends are IDENTICAL to those found on the Nicehck NX7 and the TFZ NO.3. Standard QDC connectors are more rounded and won't properly fit your No.3.

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #5,023 of 9,204
Ordered 3 pairs of the Tri Through cable. Hope it is good.

EDIT: With DHL Express, so I should definitely have it before 11/11 so we can see what cables will be great to pick up with the sale. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #5,024 of 9,204
@Dsnuts last time I was cable hunting the 175, 174 and few other cables were very popular. In the 100 USD range what are more popular choices nowadays? I particularly prefer cables that expand stage and increase body without slowing transients or dulling sound. My yy 5n cable is shortly arriving for nm2+ but I have other iems that I want to improve also.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #5,025 of 9,204
Ya cables like that cost more but I have been enlightened by Penon cables and what they do. In fact I have a crazy cable on hand that I have been writing about called the Totem. I am almost done writing about them but just know what $799 gets you in a cable, it is crazy and I mean crazy level of refinement you can't even imagine what this cable does for earphones. Let me put it this way. The cable comes in a 2.5mm termination and you get 2 pigtail adapters with it. A 2.5mm female to 4.4mm male adapter. Another one in 2.5mm female to 3.5mm single ended.

When you connect any cable in 2.5mm to one of these pigtail adapters it enhances the cable it is attached to with a bigger fuller more organic tone and a more expansive stage. This is from just using the pigtail adapters and I am not even talking about the cable itself. You can only imagine how crazy the cable is on something with a higher level of sonics like a Mofasest Trio or MEST or Solaris.

That being said the one cable I have been recommending to everyone is this cable here. It has to be one of the best bang for buck cables and that is relative as this cable cost $120 called the Penon OS849. You can spend $20 here and $40 there and $60 on another cable and none of those cables will amount to what you get on this particular cable.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-os849-premium-iem-cables.24408/reviews

1601438184981.png

This cable adds that stage element and since it is 32% pure silver it will throw out all the detail of your earphone but beefier sounding due to 68% being crystal copper.
The crazy thing about cables like this one is. These will open up a new rabbit hole. If you wasn't a cable believer something like this will make you think twice about what cables do for your sonics. If you guys have any other questions about cables. Lets leave this thread for the NF audio impressions. You can ask away on this thread about anything cable related. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mid...sg-silver-plated-copper-with-graphene.927268/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back