Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #4,561 of 9,211
Ah i see. I was wondering why you said the NiceHCK cables were cheaper as their 8 core are twice the price of the 8 core from TRN.

Any chance youll be comparing the 8 core TRN against the 8 core NiceHCK for an apples to apples comparison?

Sure, I can pick one up during the next sale.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #4,563 of 9,211
My driam $200 setup would be:
A $160 cable on a $40 IEM
:L3000:
You’re willing to spend so much on the IEM? I think at least 90% of your budget should be spent on the cable.

I just shove the ends of the cable in my ear canals, sit back, and enjoy.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #4,564 of 9,211
This is new. Penon got some upgraded adapters for use with cables.
1595950649152.png

The previous ones were straight. I like these much better. https://penonaudio.com/mmcx-to-2pin-iem-cable-adapter-l-shaped.html

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #4,565 of 9,211
Jul 28, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #4,566 of 9,211
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #4,567 of 9,211
Not so much for budget cables but more mid to upper $50- Plus cables. Well it works for all cables but lets say you got a pure silver cable in mmcx but also want to try it on a 2 pin.

Cable rolling a bit of a gamble and you have no idea how well it will mesh with a particular sound until you actually try it. We have a general idea about silver and copper properties but you never know if the cable you bought for your Blon 03 might end up working better for your IT00 instead if you know what I mean. So having a few adapters on hand lets us cable roll better for one.

Then you can try it on more varieties of earphones than just mmcx and end up saving a bit to get a new 2 pin version of the same cable. Or at least that is the idea.
I find them really handy cus I only get one type of cable. usually mmcx. Since all cables dont come with 2 types of connectors. This is a good way to at least be able to try out a fancy new cable you got on a different earphone.

Some of the cables I have been getting for reviews. I can see how well that would work out." Ya your Penon Leo plus $310 cable. mmcx is great and all but I also would like a 2 pin. And make it snappy!"

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #4,568 of 9,211
This is new. Penon got some upgraded adapters for use with cables.
1595950649152.png

The previous ones were straight. I like these much better. https://penonaudio.com/mmcx-to-2pin-iem-cable-adapter-l-shaped.html

Cheers. Will pick some of these up. I had the CEMA ones that are straight and make some pairs unwearable as the position is changed too much. L shaped ones should work better in this scenario but may introduce other negatives.

Not so much for budget cables but more mid to upper $50- Plus cables. Well it works for all cables but lets say you got a pure silver cable in mmcx but also want to try it on a 2 pin.

Cable rolling a bit of a gamble and you have no idea how well it will mesh with a particular sound until you actually try it. We have a general idea about silver and copper properties but you never know if the cable you bought for your Blon 03 might end up working better for your IT00 instead if you know what I mean. So having a few adapters on hand lets us cable roll better for one.

Then you can try it on more varieties of earphones than just mmcx and end up saving a bit to get a new 2 pin version of the same cable. Or at least that is the idea.
I find them really handy cus I only get one type of cable. usually mmcx. Since all cables dont come with 2 types of connectors. This is a good way to at least be able to try out a fancy new cable you got on a different earphone.

Some of the cables I have been getting for reviews. I can see how well that would work out." Ya your Penon Leo plus $310 cable. mmcx is great and all but I also would like a 2 pin. And make it snappy!"

I got the 2pin to mmcx connectors mainly to try the Nicehck HK6 with the Penon Leo Plus. Its a very nice combo. They are a unique pair and the cable adds to their uniqueness.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #4,569 of 9,211

Sure. I completely understand the necessity and utility of such adapters, but am surprised by their price (in general, not just the ones you listed). I would think $10 per generic pair would be reasonable. $20-$30 if a name brand. Then again, how much have I spent recently on ear tips.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #4,570 of 9,211
$20-$30 seems to be the average on how much they cost. I seen some that are hovering in the $50 range. Don't know why some cost more than others but I have been using them Penon adapters. Was the fist type I bought actually, with good results.
1595969139133.png

The NiceHCK 4 core pure silver cables here is in mmcx. Used a Penon 2 pin adapter to try out on the Orbs. A curved or L shaped adapter should be even better.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #4,572 of 9,211
I wonder. I read one comment on another thread claiming that out of a collection of about 50 cables, his most flexible cables were mostly 16 core cables. So I'd assume thinner cores usually translates into a more flexible cable even if it ends up thick due to core count?
Yes, because the cable isn't wound as tightly as the wires inside each core.

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #4,573 of 9,211
Hey all,

Recieved my TRN-T3 yesterday.

In short, it seems to subtly improve upon the stock cable for my Shure SE846 - it's not night and day by any means though..

I'm not going to be using them though. For some reason, the top on the MMCX connector on the right side is kinda scratching into the side of my head - really uncomfrtbale.

On top of that, slight movements can cause sound to intermittently cut out - again, really annoying, and a deal killer for me.

Lastly, there seems to be a rattling on the MMCX connectors - as if some small balls moving on the inside? Annoying..

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_083024.jpg
    IMG_20200730_083024.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200730_083011.jpg
    IMG_20200730_083011.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200730_082957.jpg
    IMG_20200730_082957.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back