Loving the sound of CELLO!
Apr 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #121 of 136
Juman,

We were able to get 3 tickets to Itzhak Perlman for Sunday afternoon in our area - he's playing at the Strathmore in Bethesda, MD.  We're keeping it as a surprise for our daughter for a few more days from now because she'll be so excited, she won't be able to focus on school for tomorrow, etc.  The bad news is that I probably won't be going as I originally thought.  My wife was thinking of the 3rd ticket for her mother as an early Mother's Day gift.  Also, my mother-in-law loves to attend concerts with my daughter - so, it might be for the best if I bow out gracefully.  Still, the tickets were in the Promenade section (behind the orchestra seats) and still ran $110.00, each.

May 21, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #122 of 136
Somewhat necrobumping this thread, but didn't really like the cello with HD650 and B22 combo...Compared to my M50, I didn't really hear any of this veil people mention a lot, but felt like it was missing the top end treble that IMO was helping with texturing in the M50... 

And more surprisingly, I like the Elgar Concerto played w/ my laptop's mediocre bassless speaker than on the M50...Getting the feeling that maybe M50's bass is overwhelming the mids. Or perhaps, my cowon J3 has a darker tone than my laptop...Will try listening to it again with M50 connected to laptop. With my laptop speaker today, though, I could really hear the emotions Du Pre conveyed through the cello... Going back to the Jazz mix I've mentioned in the first thread, I think I'm beginning to see why some call Yo Yo Ma's style as somewhat clinical.

So far the suggestions were, D7000, HD595, T1, and Sr60?  D7000 and T1 are way too expensive for me. Is there any more $100 range suggestions? Or I'm also thinking about getting a $300 range active desktop speaker, hoping to add a DAC later on...Which would be a better choice? It'd help if you already have the headphones you are suggesting, and also mention why you think it's a good headphone for cello listening.

Thanks for your help.

May 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #124 of 136
People say D7000 is the upgraded M50, while D2000 has recessed mids just like M50. I've heard the D2000 in a meet, and I thought the bass was a lot more textured and less boomy than the M50. But as I mentioned above, I want more mids..

May 21, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #125 of 136

Quote:
People say D7000 is the upgraded M50, while D2000 has recessed mids just like M50. I've heard the D2000 in a meet, and I thought the bass was a lot more textured and less boomy than the M50. But as I mentioned above, I want more mids..

I disagree with the idea of D2000's mid recessed like M50.  While it may be a bit, not any where near M50.  I sold M50 because of recessed mid, and liked D2000.  Anyway, I would suggest D7000 if you can afford it, but for around $100 as you've said, it's going to be serious cases of compromise.  Otherwise, why people would pay big money?

May 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #126 of 136
I've listened to D2000 for a moment at a meet, but it wasn't for long, so I'm not sure about the sound signature. But I remember the bass was a lot more textured and less boomy... What would you say about the bass? Just to see if we're on the same page..

May 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #127 of 136
I think we are on the same page. Honestly, I didn't have much to complain about D2000 when I had it. Some music can have too much bass, but not as bad as M50 and for cello music, it was fine unless you're very picky about it.

May 23, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #129 of 136
Oh and as for the general thread post, I've posted few weeks ago I had started learning cello, and as of yesterday, skillfully mastered twinkle twinkle on a cello. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 23, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #130 of 136
Oh man, next thing we know we'll all be paying to see you over at Carnegie Hall to hear you play twinkle twinkle with such technical prowess and musicality.

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #134 of 136

Some threads are worth reviving every once in a while. Anyway, I finally bought the Starker CD that LFF recommended below, and I must confirm that it is exquisite. I can see why LFF uses this recording to benchmark headphones.  And I must also confirm that my DBA-02s were worth every cent.

Quote:
For accurate cello reproduction at an affordable price I would recommend Fischer Audio's FA-003 or the FA-002w. For a more musical, albeit, inaccurate sound in the cello try the new FA-011 or to a lesser extent, the HD-650.

Also, those yo-yo ma recordings blow. Try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Suites-Cello-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000003FD9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1300986565&sr=8-1

The best I have heard a cello sound was on my Grado HP-1000 headphones powered by a Zana Deux.

Sep 6, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #135 of 136
I really hadn't thought to run any of my phones through something like this since buying them. I know none of the sets I own are ideal for this type of music but I'm listening to Yo-Yo Ma: 
[size=1.7em] Bach: Six Unaccompanied Cello Suites through my HFi-580s and it is really quite enjoyable.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back