Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Aug 18, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,086 of 2,329
Sorry if this has been asked already, I did not find the answer when I did a search. When I try to update my S1 and I drop the file to the S1 the unit just continues to just say waiting. I noticed that the file is listed as a document file. Is that correct?

Thanks

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #2,087 of 2,329
Aug 19, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #2,089 of 2,329
Is anyone else here also experiencing this lag/delay sound in the beginning of a song when playing MQA files?
I'm using the latest firmware (1.0.0.10) and the issue happens for both, the Tidal app using Windows and UAPP on my Android phone.
I cannot really find any other people complaining about this issue here, so I'm starting to wonder if I might have a faulty device.

I'm really liking the sound of the paw s1. But having this delay/lag sound really drives me crazy and I'm thinking of returning my unit.
Any advice here would be much appreciated!

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #2,090 of 2,329
Is anyone else here also experiencing this lag/delay sound in the beginning of a song when playing MQA files?
I'm using the latest firmware (1.0.0.10) and the issue happens for both, the Tidal app using Windows and UAPP on my Android phone.
I cannot really find any other people complaining about this issue here, so I'm starting to wonder if I might have a faulty device.

I'm really liking the sound of the paw s1. But having this delay/lag sound really drives me crazy and I'm thinking of returning my unit.
Any advice here would be much appreciated!
If this is what I think you are describing then it has been an issue for some time and it is not just the S1 it happens to. I had it on the Cayin N6ii and the Hiby R8 also. There were discussions on this lag/delay over on the Cayin N6ii thread by a few users. Although possible causes were discussed it didn’t help fix the issue to my knowledge. Probably worth a quick read on that Cayin thread to see if it is the same issue you are having.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #2,091 of 2,329
If this is what I think you are describing then it has been an issue for some time and it is not just the S1 it happens to. I had it on the Cayin N6ii and the Hiby R8 also. There were discussions on this lag/delay over on the Cayin N6ii thread by a few users. Although possible causes were discussed it didn’t help fix the issue to my knowledge. Probably worth a quick read on that Cayin thread to see if it is the same issue you are having.
Just had a read on the Cayin thread and can confirm that it's exactly the same issue.
- it's does not happen all the time, but very often (60-80%)
- it especially happens, when manually choosing song or also when pausing and then starting a song again
- if i just let songs finish and the next one starts automatically, it is often not an issue

I was also in contact with Lotoo on Facebook, but that did not really help a lot. They are aware of this lag sound especially on Android after a FW update of Tidal.
So I could wait and hope that a new FW update for the paw s1 will solve this issue. But guess returning the unit makes more sense here...

Thanks for your reply on this!

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,092 of 2,329
In my case the cable that came with Paw S1 is a HUGE disappointment. Within a couple week of use, even without walking with it in the pocket that much, a slight pinch or twist can cut off the connection. Ordered a right angle USB-C to lightning cable from Woo audio, feel really sturdy, but a bit stiff. Works great so far.

By the way, does anyone have better idea to somehow 'attached' Paw S1 or other similar dongles back of the phone? Feel like Velcro doesn't really work because the body of Paw S1 is slightly curve. I'm currently using elastic band that clip into the case for temporary solution.

Velcro 100% is the way to go. The curved body of the S1 doesn't affect its holding ability what so ever. I have 2 strips, both .25" wide, perpendicular to the S1's body. One at the top, one at the bottom. I am extremely tough on my dongles, using them while skateboarding, running, cleaning the house, etc., and the velcro works very well. Just get the name brand, regular level velcro as the "extreme" stuff is too thick. I put the soft side on my phone, but I suppose that is personal preference.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #2,093 of 2,329
Been listening to the S1. Liking it a LOT. More than the LP W2, honestly. Don’t get me wrong, they are both equally capable, it comes down to which tone you like… and I prefer the Lotoo.

Strangely, I even like the S1’s EQ presets more than the W2’s.

A pro review I read gave the edge to the W2 over the S1 in that department, but I wonder if that wasn’t just the reviewer’s knee-jerk reaction to the fact that while the W2’s presets are subtle, the S1 takes big swings. Usually when a preset changes the sound dramatically, it’s because some aspect of the tuning has been wildly altered. And when you’re flipping through the S1’s presets, that’s what it sounds like, initially. But I found if I let my ears adjust to the new signatures, they were actually pretty damn decently executed. The W2’s presets by comparison, while subtler, are indeed generally just the product of one or two values being turned up to 11.

I actually use some of the S1’s presets, and that’s saying something... I generally hate presets. In particular, I find the “Rock” setting to be really well done.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #2,094 of 2,329
@waveSounds I had a talk with both Lotoo and Tidal support.

Lotoo said they are aware of this issue and are working on a potential Firmware fix.

However, it seems Tidal is the one who will do it. Here is their full response after my support ticket was transferred to the technical team.

"Our developers are currently working on making a bit-perfect feature for the TIDAL app to recognize more and more devices.

At this time, it's very limited and we are working to expand it to more and more devices.

Your current DAC is simply not integrated for it currently, but we have forwarded the request to see it added as we work to improve this new feature.

They do recommend in the meantime using an app like the UAPP app in the meantime as it helps provide the bit-perfect rate between TIDAL and your DAC if you're having any trouble streaming bit-perfect with your current set-up.

We appreciate your understanding as well in the meantime while our team works further on making this possible through the mobile app itself. "

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #2,095 of 2,329
@waveSounds I had a talk with both Lotoo and Tidal support.

Lotoo said they are aware of this issue and are working on a potential Firmware fix.

However, it seems Tidal is the one who will do it. Here is their full response after my support ticket was transferred to the technical team.

"Our developers are currently working on making a bit-perfect feature for the TIDAL app to recognize more and more devices.

At this time, it's very limited and we are working to expand it to more and more devices.

Your current DAC is simply not integrated for it currently, but we have forwarded the request to see it added as we work to improve this new feature.

They do recommend in the meantime using an app like the UAPP app in the meantime as it helps provide the bit-perfect rate between TIDAL and your DAC if you're having any trouble streaming bit-perfect with your current set-up.

We appreciate your understanding as well in the meantime while our team works further on making this possible through the mobile app itself. "
This is why I switched to Apple Lossless and Amazon HD… Tidal really needs to get on the ball. It’s not like they don’t know that most audiophiles are using their service with mobile devices and DACs (or DAPs)… They don’t even have a (EDIT: proper) desktop app. The only way you can download music (without a workaround) is via the (EDIT: mobile) app. Their number one priority should be bit-perfect support for every conceivable device, and yet they drag their feet on this. They don’t even have support for some of the major players… It will be a long minute before they get to the likes of niche audiophlie outfits like Lotoo…

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #2,096 of 2,329
They don’t even have a desktop app.

They (Tidal) have desktop apps for both Windows and MacOS - I have used both. Maybe I misunderstood your comment.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #2,097 of 2,329
They have desktop apps for both Windows and MacOS - I have used both. Maybe I misunderstood your comment.
Definitely misinformed. Tidal’s iOS/iPadOS app has been flawless with hires support with an external DAC forever and along with Qobuz is one of the few hires streaming services that play well with third parties like Roon and UAPP to give users choice. Good luck with Amazon and Apple doing that.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #2,098 of 2,329
They (Tidal) have desktop apps for both Windows and MacOS - I have used both. Maybe I misunderstood your comment.
No, I phrased it poorly… I don‘t find it to be a proper full-featured app, as there is no offline support for the desktop version. A lot more laptops out there than desktops these days... the desktop app being dependent on a strong WiFi connection is BS, in my opinion. YMMV.
Definitely misinformed. Tidal’s iOS/iPadOS app has been flawless with hires support with an external DAC forever and along with Qobuz is one of the few hires streaming services that play well with third parties like Roon and UAPP to give users choice. Good luck with Amazon and Apple doing that.
If I am misinformed then why on earth are people above complaining, and why did Tidal send someone who was complaining an email that said, in part, “Our developers are currently working on making a bit-perfect feature for the TIDAL app to recognize more and more devices.”?

I personally don’t care about either UAPP or Roon… I just want to plug my DAC into my iPad and get the full resolution promised without hassle. Apple Lossless and Amazon HD do this, apparently flawlessly, with whatever DAC I choose to use. Tidal is in bed with MQA, which has frankly been kind of hit-or-miss in my experience. My iFi gear unpacks and plays it (again, apparently) flawlessly. But I have some other (allegedly MQA-capable) gear that plays it with some issues, or sometimes drops the ball entirely. Tidal (again, at least in my experience) is just not as rock-solid plug and play as it’s competitors, and it costs twice as much. And on top of that, I’ve read entirely too much from the whole audio resolution nerd-on community that MQA isn’t that great a format anyway. I’m not weighing in on whether MQA is in fact as lossless as it claims or not, just pointing out that nobody seems to be questioning a 24/192 track from Amazon or Apple.

EDIT: Well, I should amend that… Within the Sony club house of aficionados, there are a lot of questions about what resolution the streaming-capable devices are pulling from all of the services, Apple and Amazon included. But that’s a Sony thing. And a goddamn blackhole discussion of device capabilities vs corporate decisions that we should definitely not get sucked into, ha ha.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #2,099 of 2,329
He’s talking about the Android app. Android by default does ample rate conversion to 48kHz regardless of the files sample rate. To bypass it you need an Android-based DAP that bypasses the SRC or an app like UAPP and an external DAC. Tidal is trying to fix that and bypass the SRC within their Android app, like UAPP does. iOS/iPadOS do not have this issue. You just need the Tidal app and an external DAC, exactly the sample as Apple Music. There are zero issues with getting full resolution the S1 and Tidal on iOS/iPadOS. That’s just spreading misinformation, like saying there’s not a desktop app.

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #2,100 of 2,329
No, I phrased it poorly… I don‘t find it to be a proper full-featured app, as there is no offline support for the desktop version. A lot more laptops out there than desktops these days... the desktop app being dependent on a strong WiFi connection is BS, in my opinion. YMMV.

If I am misinformed then why on earth are people above complaining, and why did Tidal send someone who was complaining an email that said, in part, “Our developers are currently working on making a bit-perfect feature for the TIDAL app to recognize more and more devices.”?

I personally don’t care about either UAPP or Roon… I just want to plug my DAC into my iPad and get the full resolution promised without hassle. Apple Lossless and Amazon HD do this, apparently flawlessly, with whatever DAC I choose to use. Tidal is in bed with MQA, which has frankly been kind of hit-or-miss in my experience. My iFi gear unpacks and plays it (again, apparently) flawlessly. But I have some other (allegedly MQA-capable) gear that plays it with some issues, or sometimes drops the ball entirely. Tidal (again, at least in my experience) is just not as rock-solid plug and play as it’s competitors, and it costs twice as much. And on top of that, I’ve read entirely too much from the whole audio resolution nerd-on community that MQA isn’t that great a format anyway. I’m not weighing in on whether MQA is in fact as lossless as it claims or not, just pointing out that nobody seems to be questioning a 24/192 track from Amazon or Apple.

EDIT: Well, I should amend that… Within the Sony club house of aficionados, there are a lot of questions about what resolution the streaming-capable devices are pulling from all of the services, Apple and Amazon included. But that’s a Sony thing. And a goddamn blackhole discussion of device capabilities vs corporate decisions that we should definitely not get sucked into, ha ha.
A little confusion here, I'll try my best to clear it.

Android resamples everything to 48 khz. Be it via upsampling or downsampling. This makes it impossible to get the real output of a type c dac and hires music is a far fetched idea.
One has the option of using third party players like UAPP, that integrate Qobuz and Tidal, but their UIs are outdated and lack many features like offline music support.

When it comes to full fledged streaming apps, Tidal is the only one who has started providing bit-perfect playback straight from the androod app, or atleast they are trying to. I know some DACs work great (Helm Bolt), and some are still being integrated (Paw S1). Nobody else has tried to do this, not apple music, not amazon music, not spotify, no one. So as far as Tidal is concerned, I think they are leading the pack when it comes to bit perfect on android.

Although I get it, I tried the apple music lossless update and it's great. Too bad they have no plans of bit perfect playback on android, and no windows app to pair with. I really believe they are losing a bunch of people due to the lack of a windows app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back