Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Sep 1, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,116 of 2,329
I can’t explain the technical reason why, but yes, that is normal, the volume is controlled by the S1. It may have something to do with battery draw since the primary market for dongles is for phones.

Congrats on your first DAC, you picked a good one! 👍
Ah got it, thanks for the answer. It's weird though, since quite a few dongles don't have volume buttons, like the Hidizs s9 pro. What will the users do then?

And thank you! I cannot believe the things I used to miss while listening to music straight from a mobile phone. I fired up dreams by fleetwood mac on Tidal, and boy was I blown away! I really see what people mean when they say music straight from mobile sounds very digital, and the DACs give them more life.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #2,117 of 2,329
Ah got it, thanks for the answer. It's weird though, since quite a few dongles don't have volume buttons, like the Hidizs s9 pro. What will the users do then?

And thank you! I cannot believe the things I used to miss while listening to music straight from a mobile phone. I fired up dreams by fleetwood mac on Tidal, and boy was I blown away! I really see what people mean when they say music straight from mobile sounds very digital, and the DACs give them more life.

Well, the dongle is then designed to let the source control volume. I presumed all dongles had volume controls, hence my remark.

Great to read! Glad you’re loving your new experience! 😁

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #2,118 of 2,329
It is amazing that a little dongle like the S1 can drive the UM Mason Fusang more authoritatively than the SP2KCu. :)

5A353769-71B6-4742-BDA2-8D92D320F9D9.jpeg

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #2,119 of 2,329
When playing MQA files, does the EQ function stop working for everyone?
I tried setting default quality to lossless instead of master on Tidal, but some lossless tracks are getting detected as MQA when playing on the Tidal Windows app. This disables the EQ option, even though the app says its playing the lossless stream and not MQA.
Is there something wrong?

P.S. - If it matters, after flashing the new firmware, I set the sampling rate of the Paw S1 in windows drivers as 32/384.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #2,121 of 2,329
That's a bold claim, but I am happy to read that.
Hahah! I have tried both the Traillii and the Fusang on the SP2KCu. It has good synergy with the Traillii. Not so the Fusang. It is what it is. :)

Sep 2, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #2,122 of 2,329
Hahah! I have tried both the Traillii and the Fusang on the SP2KCu. It has good synergy with the Traillii. Not so the Fusang. It is what it is. :)

You posted the same pair up picture with W2, which one do you like better with FuSang, S1 or W2?

Sep 2, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #2,123 of 2,329
You posted the same pair up picture with W2, which one do you like better with FuSang, S1 or W2?
Still trying both out with Fusang. The S1 seems more powerful at this stage with slightly lower playing volume. Early days. :)

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #2,124 of 2,329
Still trying both out with Fusang. The S1 seems more powerful at this stage with slightly lower playing volume. Early days. :)

Probably pair up synergy, since bal out of S1 is 120mW while W2 is 230mW, double the power. I had only a brief encounter with Feable Sound, personally preferred more transparent tuning of the Bird, but wondering maybe that is a reason why pair up of FuSang with a more revealing S1 better than smoother W2.

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #2,125 of 2,329
Probably pair up synergy, since bal out of S1 is 120mW while W2 is 230mW, double the power. I had only a brief encounter with Feable Sound, personally preferred more transparent tuning of the Bird, but wondering maybe that is a reason why pair up of FuSang with a more revealing S1 better than smoother W2.
Probably true. Like I said, it was on a random try of my 2 dongles cos I had never tried the Fusang with either. Yes, more listening will be required to be able see which one I prefer with the Fusang. Though it is likely to be close like the way I enjoy the Fusang with both the DX312 and the M8 in the space of streaming DAPs.

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #2,126 of 2,329
It is amazing that a little dongle like the S1 can drive the UM Mason Fusang more authoritatively than the SP2KCu. :)

5A353769-71B6-4742-BDA2-8D92D320F9D9.jpeg

I’m telling you, I’m really surprised by the performance on such a relatively inexpensive dongle. The S1 was my first experience with Lotoo, and it has made quite an impression on me, to the point I may go with a Lotoo dap as an upgrade from my SA700. Still waiting to see if Sony updates the WM1A/Z before I make a purchasing decision, though.

Sep 3, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #2,129 of 2,329
File has been deleted from Dropbox. Kindly re-upload.

Sorry I don’t own the files but I also think that file is no longer necessary for Windows 7 if you’ve updated the S1 firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back