Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jun 2, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,952 of 2,329
You have a hard time believing he subjectively enjoys the sound of the Cobalt? Measurements are great and all, but if someone enjoys how something sounds then poor measurements or not, they enjoy the sound. When did audio enjoyment become entirely predicated upon objective measurements? Maybe if you're a literal robot... bop boop beep bop.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,954 of 2,329

IKR 😅 Chord Mojo driven by offline/airplane mode devices is one of the best and beautiful sounding portable DAC/Amps. It picks up a lot of RFI/EMI if those set ups are on though not by much but still enough to hinder the dynamics and black background quality of it. Wonder how other portable units such as Paw S1, W2 fare given the same condition.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #1,955 of 2,329
I've tried evey dongle I could get my hands on and the S1 is still at the tops. Earmen sparrow is top notch too, it's got more power and a more foward sound. Btr5 is still very good to me also.

What I like about the S1 is it has a more natural tonality like the paw 6000, and it's fairly neutral. But the best thing is the staging, to me is really nice. I don't consider sonething like btr5 neutral, it sounds boosted and a bit v shaped- but still really good.

I use neutron and the Headphone setting and I can listen for hours. I prefer that sound to many + 1000 dollar daps I've owned. Of course they win on power output but I have relatively easy to drive stuff.

Sparrow can drive more stuff and has a more foward slightly aggressive/sharper sound. But S1 to my ears gets the tonality just right and it's very refined sounding.

My 2 cents. I didn't like quite of few of the other popular dongles, they sounded to me too compressed or digital.
Did you do this comparison on 3.5mm, or balanced out?

Jun 9, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,958 of 2,329
Hey guys… how is your experience using the S1 as DAC/Pre?

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #1,959 of 2,329
Well, purchased the S1 just to hold me over until my non-functioning DAP is being replaced. Was never interested in dongles, and my only experience with dongles prior to this was the Samsung one that came with the phone. Had I known dongles can be this good, not sure I would've purchased a DAP. I don't listen to fullsize HPs on portable gear, so this thing has plenty of juice for any IEMs. The build quality is exceptionaland I love the fact that I don't have to charge it everyday or worry about the battery draining during long stanbys. I used to own a LPGT and quite liked it. And that was the only reason I went with the S1 after a light research.

It was an unexpected purchase and I am quite impressed!! Now, I'm gonna have to try the W2 to see how good dongles can really get.

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,963 of 2,329
I updated the firmware on my S1 to 1.0.0.10 but I don't seem to be able to get MQA playback as it not showing on the S1 when I'm playing MQA tracks on Tidal.

When I got my S1 it seemed to be on firmware 1.0.0.6. I then went onto Lotto's download area to do the update: https://www.lotoo.cn/english/bottom/Service/Download/Hi_Fi_Music_Player/2020/0715/95.html

From here it had firmware updates for 1.0.0.7, 1.0.0.8 and 1.0.0.10 and so I went ahead and did the update. However I read through this thread and found some notes on how to update things. One thing that stood out was the following:

To support MQA, Please update 1.0.0.8 then 1.0.0.9 in sequence
Update Driver for MQA Support
MQA Supported

There was no 1.0.0.9 though on the Lotto website. Is this the reason I am not getting MQA on the S1? I just wondered if anyone can give me some pointers on what I may need to do to sort this out?

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #1,965 of 2,329
explain more please. what you use? dap,android phone, Mac, pc? which application you use?
thanks
I use an iMac. I just went on to the Lotoo site link and downloaded the firmware simply to the downloads file on the Mac. Then I followed the normal instructions to load the firmware on to the S1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back